Majority Opposes Same-Sex Marriage

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
http://www.foxnews.com.edgesuite.net/story/0,2933,103756,00.html

Despite this week?s lifting of the same-sex marriage ban in Massachusetts, a majority of Americans continues to oppose same-sex marriage, and nearly half oppose civil unions.

following the Supreme Judicial Court ruling in Massachusetts, 66 percent of Americans oppose and 25 percent favor same-sex marriage. These new results are similar to those from August 2003, as well as results from 1996, when 65 percent of the public said they opposed allowing same-sex couples to marry.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Despite this week?s lifting of the same-sex marriage ban in Massachusetts, a majority of Americans continues to oppose same-sex marriage, and nearly half oppose civil unions.

following the Supreme Judicial Court ruling in Massachusetts, 66 percent of Americans oppose and 25 percent favor same-sex marriage. These new results are similar to those from August 2003, as well as results from 1996, when 65 percent of the public said they opposed allowing same-sex couples to marry.
Don't send a wedding gift then!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I still don't get it. I'm sure there are plenty of places where the majority oppose interracial marriage, interethnic marriage, interfaith marriages. Granted, there is a fundamental difference between those couples and same-sex marriage but I just don't see the state's responsibility in regulating who you marry.

I think incest is bad but maybe that's just an inability to escape early indoctrination. Outside of the genetic disease element, I don't see any reasonable argument against incest. Personally I think it's disgusting but it's not like it has any effect on my life whatsoever . . . except the societal expense of healthcare.

I think pedophilia is bad . . . hell I think it's arguably the most abhorrent practice on the planet . . . worse than murder. But where do you set the age? It's wholly arbitrary. It wasn't long ago that the age of consent was lower for girls than boys despite the fact that medical science CLEARLY indicated that girls sexually mature BEFORE boys. And don't even ask about mental maturity.

Jerry Lee Lewis married his underaged cousin (I think) . . . but who gives a flying poop.

Thousands of people marry each year for every reason in the universe except love . . . watching marriages crumble in Hollywood and politics is a spectator sport. Damn we live in a bizarre world.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

The majority also opposed integrating schools. What's your point?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Why should we care if two guys want to get married? You are talking about a very small percentage of the American population and an even smaller sub-set who would marry.

Furthermore, what good are all these freedoms if you aren't free to marry the person you love? Sounds downright anti-American to me.

-Robert

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto

That's the oldest argument in the book... YAWN.

And, I don't have a point. It was just a news article that I thought you all would enjoy. After all, this is the Politics and News board :)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

It's also a valid one, Opie. People often oppose change to the status quo. Hell, we even went to war with ourselves over slavery and now no one would argue that we should bring it back.

And, I don't have a point. It was just a news article that I thought you all would enjoy. After all, this is the Politics and News board :)
Right. You don't have a point. As usual. You just found a poll that supported one of your usual reactionary positions you learned from mommy and daddy and thought you'd post it in lieu of thinking something up on your own. "I can't seem to win an argument here, so I'll post something from the unassailable FAUX news! That'll show those pinko liberals!"

:cookie;

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

It's also a valid one, Opie. People often oppose change to the status quo. Hell, we even went to war with ourselves over slavery and now no one would argue that we should bring it back.

Right. You don't have a point. As usual. You just found a poll that supported one of your usual reactionary positions you learned from mommy and daddy and thought you'd post it in lieu of thinking something up on your own. "I can't seem to win an argument here, so I'll post something from the unassailable FAUX news! That'll show those pinko liberals!"

Wow... that's quite the rant you've got there. Let's see where I should begin... ah yes, your assumption that I "just found a poll that supported one of your usual reactionary positions you learned from mommy and daddy and thought you'd post it in lieu of thinking something up on your own." First, both of my parents are liberals and pro gay marriage. Of course, it was easier for you to attack my family than to actually get to know me. As for me not thinking up something on my own... how can I make up poll results? Oh yeah... that's right... I can't. I just happened to find this one while checking out the daily headlines, and since I like to consider all the information that I can find, I thought that maybe, just maybe, everyone else here would like to see what Americans thought. Silly me.

"I can't seem to win an argument here, so I'll post something from the unassailable FAUX news! That'll show those pinko liberals!" Um.. I don't see where I attacked liberals on this thread... perhaps you could enlighten me. As for not winning an argument, that isn't the point of these boards. Most of us post here to discuss the latest news. If you're here to win an argument, you have no life.

However, seeing as to how you have some sort of personal grudge against me, I am sure you will respond with more personal attacks directed towards me. You've already brought my family into the discussion, so perhaps you can include my dog into your next post as well...
rolleye.gif

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You've already brought my family into the discussion, so perhaps you can include my dog into your next post as well...
------------

Don't F-ing tell me you want to marry your dog! Jesus!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I think we ought to just do away with marriage all-to-gether! From the State's point of view. Change the wording of our laws to simply refer to the individual. Two, three, four or how ever many co-habitating enjoy individual rights. Then based on ones religious perspectives they can choose to wed in what manner their moral belief dictates. Of course, subject to the law of the land which ought to deal with age and species...

Moonbeam, you don't suppose 'don't cast pearls before swine' had to do with... nah..

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Since gays getting married neither harms nor affects anyone else, I can only conclude that the so-called "majority" simply wants to stick their noses in everyone else's business like the busy-bodies they really are. The same sort of people that rifle through your medicine closet while visiting your house, looking at what prescriptions or OTC products you might have. What deplorable behavior.
rolleye.gif

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Wow... that's quite the rant you've got there. Let's see where I should begin... ah yes, your assumption that I "just found a poll that supported one of your usual reactionary positions you learned from mommy and daddy and thought you'd post it in lieu of thinking something up on your own." First, both of my parents are liberals and pro gay marriage. Of course, it was easier for you to attack my family than to actually get to know me. As for me not thinking up something on my own... how can I make up poll results? Oh yeah... that's right... I can't. I just happened to find this one while checking out the daily headlines, and since I like to consider all the information that I can find, I thought that maybe, just maybe, everyone else here would like to see what Americans thought. Silly me.

"I can't seem to win an argument here, so I'll post something from the unassailable FAUX news! That'll show those pinko liberals!" Um.. I don't see where I attacked liberals on this thread... perhaps you could enlighten me. As for not winning an argument, that isn't the point of these boards. Most of us post here to discuss the latest news. If you're here to win an argument, you have no life.

However, seeing as to how you have some sort of personal grudge against me, I am sure you will respond with more personal attacks directed towards me. You've already brought my family into the discussion, so perhaps you can include my dog into your next post as well...
rolleye.gif

You should ask yourself more tough questions and then respond with total confidence. It makes you look so smart and self-assured. Did you learn that from Rush or Hannity?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Like most of my up tight, sexually repressed and deeply closeted conservative brethren, I used to be up in arms about gay marriage. But I relaxed about it alot when I remembered the crime I was gonna go to hell for wasn't coveting my neighbor's husband.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Like most of my up tight, sexually repressed and deeply closeted conservative brethren, I used to be up in arms about gay marriage. But I relaxed about it alot when I remembered the crime I was gonna go to hell for wasn't coveting my neighbor's husband.

Women folks get all the breaks... they can covet to their hearts content.. They can covet the husband and or the wife of their neighbor.. we'll have to have Pat Robertson amend the constitution where it refers to the Ten Commandments to reflect God's error. Or Moses' oversight..

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I oppose calling same-sex unions a "marriage". I prefer to save that term to specify the special union between a man and a woman. Calling a man/man or woman/woman union a "marriage", is like calling my brother my "sister".

I am in favor of affording similar rights and priveleges on same-sex unions as awarded to marriages because it is for society's benefit that we promote and encourage monogamous relationships. We do not want a society where most homosexuals practice promicious sex with lots of different partners because such practices would spread diseases like AIDS.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: StormRider
I oppose calling same-sex unions a "marriage". I prefer to save that term to specify the special union between a man and a woman. Calling a man/man or woman/woman union a "marriage", is like calling my brother my "sister".

I am in favor of affording similar rights and priveleges on same-sex unions as awarded to marriages because it is for society's benefit that we promote and encourage monogamous relationships.

I bet if it was phrased that way, a lot of people would agree with it - I do. Unfortunately it's hard to boil down that sentiment into a sound bite for a poll.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

The majority also elected Al Gore ;)

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
instead of all these organization opposing marriage, conventional or unconventional, why don't the come up with some ways to cut the 50% divorce rate. Marriage is suppose to be this holy sacrement. Give me a break. People are just idiots

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

First you have gay friends and now your parents are liberals too huh? Right. I totally believe that. It's okay though, most kids adopt their parents' ideals as their own at first but eventually learn to think for themselves. You could start by rethinking your "Ronnie Raygun was the greatest president of the 20th century" position as that just makes you look like a complete idiot since you were all of three years old when he finished his second term.

Um....yeah but this particular topic has been beaten into the ground six ways from sunday. All points and counterpoints have been addressed. So why would you create this post other than for trolling purposes?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: rickn
instead of all these organization opposing marriage, conventional or unconventional, why don't the come up with some ways to cut the 50% divorce rate. Marriage is suppose to be this holy sacrement. Give me a break. People are just idiots
Holy according to Mythical beleifs. Sometimes people just fall out of love or just can't stand the sight of each other after a few years. The perfect solution is Divorce. It sucks for the kids but then being a child in a loveless marriage sucks just as hard!

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Holy according to Mythical beleifs. Sometimes people just fall out of love or just can't stand the sight of each other after a few years. The perfect solution is Divorce. It sucks for the kids but then being a child in a loveless marriage sucks just as hard!

well, divorce is overused, and has become almost fashionable

but before others start passing judgement, they outta fix their own sh|t first. I could just imagine some single mother of 10 kids, who's been married 5 times(and each kid has a different father) saying that same sex marriage is immoral. People like that just piss me off

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

well, divorce is overused, and has become almost fashionable

but before others start passing judgement, they outta fix their own sh|t first. I could just imagine some single mother of 10 kids, who's been married 5 times(and each kid has a different father) saying that same sex marriage is immoral. People like that just piss me off
How is it overused? If you can't stand the fscking bitch/bastard why should you stay with the miserable Mofo for the rest of your life?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I really think that the State needs to get out of the Marriage business entirely, making traditional marriage a subset of something else- call it a civil union or whatever else suits your fancy, calling it marriage just twirls the tails of the christian fundies. Any two people who want to have that kind of a relationship should be allowed to do so, with all the legal trimmings. Any hetero couple who wants it can also be married in a church of their choice.

It's largely an issue of semantics, Marriage being the hot-button term that puts most folks undies in a knot...

And I wouldn't trust a fox news opinion poll if it dealt with the current weather or the time of day, let alone anything important...

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
For one thing homosexual/sodomite marriages do effect everyone. They can then start getting benefits from health insurance agencies, tax breaks for famalies, etc. I'm not going to pay increased premiums and taxes for thier crap. The basic moral fibre of the nation is at risk by allowing this kind of crap. Hey if a man can't go into work and discuss his sexual escapades from the previous weekend since it is sexual harassment, I sure for one don't want to hear it. It isn't marriage under God, since it isn't going to be done in the church, so we shouldn't have to pay for it either. Your right it is no ones business where you put your taliwacker, schlong, then why does it keep have to be pushed in my face. Everytime I turn around there is more of this "why not" attitude pandering in the media. They have no "special rights". They have to suffice with the ones that everyone else gets. The only right thing to do for the government is to stop performing marriages of the state. Except for a few churches it is no longer the governments problem.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I really think that the State needs to get out of the Marriage business entirely, making traditional marriage a subset of something else- call it a civil union or whatever else suits your fancy, calling it marriage just twirls the tails of the christian fundies. Any two people who want to have that kind of a relationship should be allowed to do so, with all the legal trimmings. Any hetero couple who wants it can also be married in a church of their choice.

It's largely an issue of semantics, Marriage being the hot-button term that puts most folks undies in a knot...

And I wouldn't trust a fox news opinion poll if it dealt with the current weather or the time of day, let alone anything important...

Gallup has a poll about this too. A majority of Americans do not agree with Same-Sex marriage...so I guess the majority of Americans must be christian fundies.
rolleye.gif

CkG