Majority Of Respondents Don't Trust Washington

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Majority Of Respondents Don't Trust Washington

At A Glance: Key Survey Findings
  • Just 22 percent of Americans say they can trust the government in Washington almost always or most of the time, among the lowest measures in a half-century.
  • Public hostility toward government seems likely to favor Republicans in the midterm elections this fall. But favorable ratings for both major parties, as well as Congress, have reached record lows.
  • The proportion of Americans who say they are "angry" with the federal government has doubled since 2000, increasing from 10 percent to 20 percent.
  • Independents who are highly frustrated with government are highly committed to voting this year, and they favor the GOP candidates in their district by a margin of 66 percent to 13 percent.
Source: Pew Research Center

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that nearly 80 percent of respondents say they can't trust Washington, and have little faith that the federal bureaucracy can solve the nation's ills.
Indeed

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Not surprising. You reap what you sow and our purported "representatives" in Washington do not truly represent the majority of Americans. They are special interest whores, representing those who can fill their campaign chests and their lust for power.

The lunacy is that so many respondents seem to somehow think Republicans are more inclined to represent their interests than Democrats. I guess this simply underscores the effectiveness of slick marketing on gullible people. While both parties are busily auctioning off middle class America, the modern-day GOP (post-1980) has been especially shameless about it.

Exhibit A is the way Wall Street and the Finance sector were not just allowed, but encouraged to plunder America's economy. The Republicans were largely in the drivers seat, but the Dems milled around with their thumbs up their asses cheering them on. Neither party deserves support from average Americans.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Not surprising. You reap what you sow and our purported "representatives" in Washington do not truly represent the majority of Americans. They are special interest whores, representing those who can fill their campaign chests and their lust for power.

Well said.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Just 22 percent of Americans say they can trust the government in Washington almost always or most of the time, among the lowest measures in a half-century.

And yet, they continue to turn to Washington for solutions like children turning to momma. The first time you get bit by a bad dog, it's not really your fault, but by about the 10th time you reach toward that same dog and still get bit, you're just an idiot.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
And this same BS comes all the time. Yet ask the same group and I bet the majority would say Washington should be more like THEIR Rep./Party.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Who the hell would trust Washington?

/thread

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And this same BS comes all the time. Yet ask the same group and I bet the majority would say Washington should be more like THEIR Rep./Party.

You haven't been paying attention. Current polls suggest the majority DON'T want their incumbant. Read the whole article and it shows the striking shift in how people view government since Obama took office - it's setting records of anger.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You haven't been paying attention. Current polls suggest the majority DON'T want their incumbant. Read the whole article and it shows the striking shift in how people view government since Obama took office - it's setting records of anger.

Oh and more people trusted DC with Cheney and Bush in Charge?:rolleyes:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

If you read the article the trust in obama is only 2% higher than what is was at the end of Bush's term so I guess O's got that going for him. Poll after poll from all different sources show the majority of the people reject this radical leftist in the oval office.

But the trust numbers were even lower at the close of the George W. Bush administration, dipping below 20 percent.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2007

Yes.

We trusted them to find new ways to: infringe upon personal liberties, sending troops to fight in some country that we shouldn't have had any business being there, and lying about just about everything.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
And yet, they continue to turn to Washington for solutions like children turning to momma. The first time you get bit by a bad dog, it's not really your fault, but by about the 10th time you reach toward that same dog and still get bit, you're just an idiot.
It's a poor analogy. Unless they're willing to move to another country, they're stuck in the kennel with that dog. People are simply trying to make the best of the situation they're in.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Yes.

We trusted them to find new ways to: infringe upon personal liberties, sending troops to fight in some country that we shouldn't have had any business being there, and lying about just about everything.

What's changed? Patriot Act was renewed, more troops were sent to Afghanistan, and several Cabinet appointees were caught for taxes.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Wanna bet?

I bet the majority of people running for congress that are there now, 2010, will be re-elected.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
It's a poor analogy. Unless you're willing to move to another country, they're stuck in the kennel with that dog. People are simply trying to make the best of the situation they're in.

There are other options besides voting for the two main parties. Therefore, the analogy holds up.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
There are other options besides voting for the two main parties. Therefore, the analogy holds up.
If Mursillis' analogy was referring to political parties, I agree. I think his dog represented "government," or perhaps more narrowly "the federal government," however. It's the standard complaint, that government is [ incompetent | evil | whatever ], yet people continue to turn to it for solutions.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
If Mursillis' analogy was referring to political parties, I agree. I think his dog represented "government," or perhaps more narrowly "the federal government," however. It's the standard complaint, that government is [ incompetent | evil | whatever ], yet people continue to turn to it for solutions.

True. Your interpretation makes more sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People who hate themselves look for a hate group to belong to. This gives them two things, a place to shit and a place to garner accolades for their prowess at shitting.

Americans are morons and when morons get mad they are dangerous, especially to themselves.

The Republican party is one such hate group in which smart government leaders pretend to hate government to get elected to it. This is called the harvesting of morons for personal advantage.

A moron is a person who when told this doesn't see it.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
People who hate themselves look for a hate group to belong to. This gives them two things, a place to shit and a place to garner accolades for their prowess at shitting.

Americans are morons and when morons get mad they are dangerous, especially to themselves.

The Republican party is one such hate group in which smart government leaders pretend to hate government to get elected to it. This is called the harvesting of morons for personal advantage.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a textbook example of leftist elitism.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

So much hate for your fellow Americans, are you a republican?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a textbook example of leftist elitism.

Please don't be an idiot. I am so much more elite than the elitist left it isn't even funny. Show me one person who says what I say anywhere because I am just about the only person I have ever seen who knows nothing.

Last edited: