Majority of House Republicans vote to support racism

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You can find something deplorable about every single person from 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 150 years ago, and 200 years ago.

Only a complete fucking moron like the OP would side with trying to erase history.

Then, inevitably, there is the 2 year old equivalent argument of "dur Hur let's take it down and put it in a museum".... Except... Once again... Every single thing fits that category since your basis of measurement is todays political correctness - which can only come from the mind of a child to make such an innately stupid argument.
You are the fucking moron who supports whitewashing history and not telling the real truth about history. Pot meet kettle

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
The problem I have with this is.... you choose to do it now.

If it was good and proper to attack the South after the war, to wipe their mark from the nation, then why was that not done immediately following the war?
The Union, victorious, had a reason. And i can imagine it was a damn good reason.

I need to understand that, why it mattered then. Why it no longer matters now.

Were ALL these things added much later, after the fact, in the 20th century?
Is honoring the South as our fellow Americans only a recent advent, and not an older measure meant to keep the peace?

This is a conflict that needs more reasoning and understanding. Before resolution finds me.
Yeah pick your battles. Making this change doesn't help with any of Biden's agenda. Put all effort into infrastructure and voting. This just gives talking points to the right with cancel culture. The average American could care less for what statutes are displaced in Congress. Push out the narrative on what Biden's bills would do for all Americans and how (name and shame them) GOP blocked these bills in 2022

Reactions: Pohemi and HomerJS

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah pick your battles. Making this change doesn't help with any of Biden's agenda. Put all effort into infrastructure and voting. This just gives talking points to the right with cancel culture. The average American could care less for what statutes are displaced in Congress. Push out the narrative on what Biden's bills would do for all Americans and how (name and shame them) GOP blocked these bills in 2022

These items aren't in particular conflict, house can do more than one thing. The whole statues thing never got a ton of traction outside the MAGA base anyway.

I'd move the things to a partially flooded rock quarry and let them rot.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
The problem I have with this is.... you choose to do it now.

If it was good and proper to attack the South after the war, to wipe their mark from the nation, then why was that not done immediately following the war?
The Union, victorious, had a reason. And i can imagine it was a damn good reason.

I need to understand that, why it mattered then. Why it no longer matters now.

Were ALL these things added much later, after the fact, in the 20th century?
Is honoring the South as our fellow Americans only a recent advent, and not an older measure meant to keep the peace?

This is a conflict that needs more reasoning and understanding. Before resolution finds me.

It does not need any more reasoning or understanding. That work was already done by Historians and numerous researchers where the results of that analysis is widely available.

The dates that these statues and memorials were erected are widely known and the context of WHY they were erected is widely known and crystal clear.
You can look up every memorial in the article and it's filled with 20th century dates and very obvious facts that they were erected as a tool for intimidation of Blacks seeking political power, basic equal rights and treatment.

The statue conversation has been beaten to death, researched and the key facts readily available using the search function on this board and all major search engines.
These statues were nothing more than a weapon used by organizations such as The Daughters of the Confederacy organization to re-write the narratives of what their ancestors did while also being used as part of a larger propaganda against black communities throughout the south.

The Statues were erected for a specific purpose.
Re-write history and intimidation of black communities trying to wield political power. Statue proliferation corresponded with the proliferation of books, edited School curriculum and various other bullshit narratives to re-write history.
The statues primary purpose is as a anti-history tool.

Last edited:

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
This is so absolutely (obviously) insane. Why the hell would you have statues of traitors to the USA, in the main government building, of the USA? Half a brain tells you it ludicrous. Ok, you could make some loose argument (a bad one IMO) for keeping statues in bumfuck nowhere virgiania where Lee stopped to fuck a cow or something ("history"), but in the Capitol?! In what world does it make sense to keep statues of people attacking your country, at the seat of government?

Last edited:

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm spilt on this. Rachel Maddow had an excellent piece on this on her show(6/29). And hearing this story for the first time was a bit shocking yet.... this is and was our history as despicable as it was. I'd rather keep the bust where it is so that people will ask WHO WAS THAT MAN and the ugly truth can then be told. I think people need to remember and be reminded that America was not always a nice place to live for a lot of people. That terrible things did happen and was fully justified by the courts and by the politicians. This way... people can realize and fully comprehend just how dangerous people like the Donald Trump's who come along can be. That allowing the insanity into our system can result in insane courts and insane court justices. If the bust of Taney were removed then people might forget. And when a new Taney comes along people just might say OH HE SEENS LIKE A NICE GUY because obviously people can be easily fooled. So easily that people once thought Donald Trump would be THE FUN PRESIDENT. We need Taney to remain up there as a reminder AND because it was in fact how things were back then, and could easily happen once again.

So by this logic we need busts of Mussolini in the US Capitol? A plinth with life-size Hitler at the National Mall? Stalin in front of the white house? Kaizer Wilhelm erected by Buckingham palace (ok, at least he's family)? Guderian on the Champs-Élysées? And clearly you'd support a golden Trump statue in the Senate chamber?

Because otherwise we'd forget who these people were?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I particularly love the "you're erasing history" arguments coming from the same people (I'm speaking in general here, not about specific posters) who are passing laws prohibiting "critical race theory" from being taught in schools - where they're redefining CRT to basically be any history that hurts their racists feelings.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You can find something deplorable about every single person from 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 150 years ago, and 200 years ago.

Only a complete fucking moron like the OP would side with trying to erase history.

Then, inevitably, there is the 2 year old equivalent argument of "dur Hur let's take it down and put it in a museum".... Except... Once again... Every single thing fits that category since your basis of measurement is todays political correctness - which can only come from the mind of a child to make such an innately stupid argument.
Well we already knew you were racist as hell against blacks.

• Love
Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Again, this is the flaw of people that live in reality when trying to understand our enemies. These people aren't playing anything. They ARE one of three things - evil, dumb, or both
And...whichever they fall under, one or the other or both...they're also DAMN PROUD of it. And they'll scream it at you repeatedly. Because retarded c*nts.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is so absolutely (obviously) insane. Why the hell would you have statues of traitors to the USA, in the main government building, of the USA? Half a brain tells you it ludicrous. Ok, you could make some loose argument (a bad one IMO) for keeping statues in bumfuck nowhere virgiania where Lee stopped to fuck a cow or something ("history"), but in the Capitol?! In what world does it make sense to keep statues of people attacking your country, at the seat of government?
Because the majority controls history until the rest of us speak up and yell loudly

Nov 29, 2006

Your deplorability will live on forever online. 300 years from now your spawn will be "that someone was a real piece of shit and out of his mind, cant believe i share DNA with that scum".

Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Your deplorability will live on forever online. 300 years from now your spawn will be "that someone was a real piece of shit and out of his mind, cant believe i share DNA with that scum".
He would never let his offspring see his shit. I have no problem with my son seeing what I post. Well most of it ;)

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
He would never let his offspring see his shit. I have no problem with my son seeing what I post. Well most of it ;)
Hasn't most of his family already shunned him for being a piece of shit? Must be a sad and lonely existence, no wonder he's always so angry.

Nov 17, 2019
We have to remember that this war was different. Many families were split where one son went Blue, the other Grey, or the son went Grey while the father went Blue. Many families lost members to both the Union and the Confederacy and they may be buried side by side, or many miles apart.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Democrats are literally the party of the confederacy. Should we vote to get rid of all of them from the Capitol? Its gonna be Bernie, Angus and Republicans.

Dumb as fook statements make the poster look dumb as fook.

Common sense.. who voted to keep the confederate statues there and who voted to get rid of them?

1625092215594.png

Wow maybe the dems really are Progressive.. they've progressed enough to say FUCK YOU INSURRECTIONIST CONFEDERATES!