Majority of Americans favor Birth Control Mandates for Welfare Recipients

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zendari
Originally posted by: shira
Ah, yes. The highly rational 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 year-olds: Too young to legally consent to marriage. Too young to legally consent to sexual activity (and too young to legally obtain contraception in many states - ain't that a kick). Too young to vote. Too young for the military. But you confidently predict these juvenile minds are going to make rational decisions that disregard their raging hormones. And when it doesn't work out quite as neatly as you ridiculously believe, you're going to relegate these child-mothers to a life on the street, forced to prostitute their bodies to feed their babies.

I don't usually stoop to non-constructive language. But you, Zendari, are an absolute idiot.
Way to change the subject. The original article made no mention of child-mothers.

What do you think welfare moms start as? Teenage welfare moms.

Think about it.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Teen pregancies are on a decline. Many of these welfare moms are (irresponsible) adults. It's hardly physically possible for a teenager to have half a dozen kids anyway.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Funny but the thing is MOST poeple on GA leave it and DO get a job. Also there is a high, very percentage of people that are - laid off, retired, disabled, veterans That also get Govt. assistance. This makes no sense. Plus at the amount thats paid out per year it is probably half of poverty line.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Able bodied people that can work should have to PAY TAXES on that money, the same way i will have to pay taxes on unemployment monies.
2. Instead of paying assistance to person that is able to work, provide a job and add the amount of the assistance to the salary = No job = no assistance....and they still will have to pay taxes on it.
3. Educate the public on WHO IS COLLECTING GOVT ASSISTANCE. How can anyone here makes suggestions if we all have a screwed up notion of who is collecting assistance and for what reason, most of what i have read so far is B.S.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BushBasha
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
The Libertarian in me won't let me get behind the idea of state-controlled reproductive rights.

We finally agree; nor should the number of children you are "allowed' to have be a function of your income, legally speaking. I've done a lot of soul searching on the proper roles of government and telling people how many children they can have is not one of them.

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I feel the same way you guys do.

However, at the same time, it is also an externality--which means that when people have children they cannot afford to raise, they impose a cost on other people, such as the cost of public education, welfare, and health care.

Of course, one solution might be to have laissez-faire capitalism and to just let the children go uneducated and malnourished. Still, the costs of population growth would remain as would the costs for the legal system to incarcerate all of the criminals.

So, the issue really isn't that simple. I find myself on the side of the mandatory birth control advocates because I don't like having to pay for other people's irresponsible actions. It's distasteful, but so are high taxes and (or) starving children.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
The Libertarian in me won't let me get behind the idea of state-controlled reproductive rights.

We finally agree; nor should the number of children you are "allowed' to have be a function of your income, legally speaking. I've done a lot of soul searching on the proper roles of government and telling people how many children they can have is not one of them.

However, at the same time, it is also an externality--which means that when people have children they cannot afford to raise, they impose a cost on other people, such as the cost of public education, welfare, and health care.

Of course, one solution might be to have laissez-faire capitalism and to just let the children go uneducated and malnourished. Still, the costs of population growth would remain as would the costs for the legal system to incarcerate all of the criminals.

So, the issue really isn't that simple. I find myself on the side of the mandatory birth control advocates because I don't like having to pay for other people's irresponsible actions. It's distasteful, but so are high taxes and (or) starving children.

You've stated the dilemna very well WhipperSnapper.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

:thumbsup:

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004

eh - i'm torn - on the one hand i agree with you but on the other hand some people shouldn't be parents (for the kid's sakes). since the alternative is people getting the gov't to pay for abortions birth control doesn't sound so bad. it shouldn't just be an all or nothing stance though. only people on welfare for the long term does it make sense to put them on birth control.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Isnt forcing a person to take birth control directly in conflict with Roe V Wade?

How can we force a person to ingest something into thier body? Isnt it a choice?

Im not being facetious. Seriously , I dont see how anyone that supports abortion can support this. Unless the true reasoning behind "pro choice" has nothing to do with choice.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: nutxo
Isnt forcing a person to take birth control directly in conflict with Roe V Wade?

How can we force a person to ingest something into thier body? Isnt it a choice?

Im not being facetious. Seriously , I dont see how anyone that supports abortion can support this. Unless the true reasoning behind "pro choice" has nothing to do with choice.

it wouldn't be forced - only if someone wanted welfare.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
if we keep poor people from breeding then rich kids will have to work the factories and fast food joints. i'm all for it. ;)

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: judasmachine
if we keep poor people from breeding then rich kids will have to work the factories and fast food joints. i'm all for it. ;)

Many wealthy parents in my region have their high school age kids work at grocery stores or similar jobs. Not because they need the money, but it supposedly builds character, teaches kids financial responsibility, and gives kids something to do with spare time.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: zendari
Originally posted by: judasmachine

Many wealthy parents in my region have their high school age kids work at grocery stores or similar jobs. Not because they need the money, but it supposedly builds character, teaches kids financial responsibility, and gives kids something to do with spare time.

a nice thought but working in a grocery store is not like working in a factory...

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Tough call but I look at the chronic abusers of the system and something needs to be done. There is no reason why some of these people should be having 5 kids when they cant even afford one.

A lot of these people end up continuing the cycle and become 2nd and 3rd generation welfare recipients.

I think a lot of them must be going by the mentality that if they spew out enough of their seed into the world, maybe one of them will actually grow up and make something of themselves and be able to pull the rest of the family out of the hole. Wishful thinking in most cases.

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ahurtt
Originally posted by: Genx87
Tough call but I look at the chronic abusers of the system and something needs to be done. There is no reason why some of these people should be having 5 kids when they cant even afford one.

A lot of these people end up continuing the cycle and become 2nd and 3rd generation welfare recipients.

I think a lot of them must be going by the mentality that if they spew out enough of their seed into the world, maybe one of them will actually grow up and make something of themselves and be able to pull the rest of the family out of the hole. Wishful thinking in most cases.

i'm not sure if it's that or just a lack of responsible action being taken (safe sex) due to a generally suck life scraping by on welfare.

Merovingian

Mar 30, 2005
From a genetic perspective, life will into what ever niche provides resourses for survival. If we allow people to continue to survive and reproduce with out the ability to self sustain than we will grow a population in the long term that acts as a parasite on the general populus. There are two choices, population control or natural selection and since we don't want a bunch of people starving and desperate commiting crime to feed their children, it seems that population control would be our best option. How can this be done? Welfare is a good start but again the implementation would be rather difficult, all the couple has to do is get off welfare to have children and then go back on welfare once she's pregnant.

Birth by permit - Requiring permits for birth seems to me to be the only option. You show that you have enough money to support, health insurance, etc. and you can get a permit to have a child. Libertarians hate the idea of a "Brave New World" but how else are we to deal with the inevitable growing population of welfare reciepients? Basically, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. If you are poor and are willing to raise children on welfare then you know you get paid more to have more children. These people will multipy to a point where socioty will no longer be willing to bear the burden, again it's only a matter of time.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Nice take on things, Merovingian, you fascist.
I think if it is ever implemented they should retroactively revoke Merovingian's parents permit.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I think if it is ever implemented they should retroactively revoke Merovingian's parents permit.
As long as it involves castration, I'm game.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Tommunist

:confused: Can pro-lifers say "Having a baby you don't want isn't forced - it's only if you have unprotected sex?"

What's the difference?

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004

:confused: Can pro-lifers say "Having a baby you don't want isn't forced - it's only if you have unprotected sex?"

What's the difference?

the difference is welfare is there to help people financially and having more kids is only going to make things worse. they could also make it - we'll cut you off from welfare if you get knocked up again but that would just cause a lot of abortions instead. something needs to be done to slowdown unwanted pregnancies of people who can't afford to take care of more children properly.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

The Roe v Wade decision does not provide total domain over one's body. The court decided that there must be evidence for a "compelling" state interest in the situation. For abortion, the court found that the state did not have interest in the fetus, especially in the first trimester.

Cases like Jacobson v. Massachusetts demonstrate where a line could be drawn. In it, the state of Mass. enacted a law requiring everyone to have a vaccination against smallpox. Jacobson argued the 14th amendment, citing that the state did not have the power. The court upheld the law, showing that one does not have total domain over one's body.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
How in the hell would this be enforced? They could mandate to their heart's desire but we all know birth control isn't 100% effective. Granted, if someone keeps popping out babies every 9 months one would have room to argue non-compliance but, what's the "penalty"? Cut off their welfare completely? Who's that going to hurt, the parents or the kids?

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur
How in the hell would this be enforced? They could mandate to their heart's desire but we all know birth control isn't 100% effective. Granted, if someone keeps popping out babies every 9 months one would have room to argue non-compliance but, what's the "penalty"? Cut off their welfare completely? Who's that going to hurt, the parents or the kids?

you seem to be assuming that these people WANT to have more kids - i suspect many of the pregancies are accidental and quite preventable.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
you seem to be assuming that these people WANT to have more kids - i suspect many of the pregancies are accidental and quite preventable.
You really think everyone on welfare is using condoms and/or birth control pills (or devices)? Rather optimistic view of things.

Merovingian

Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
As long as it involves castration, I'm game.

Very constructive guys. Unfortunatly for you, it will be based upon the ability to support ones own offspring.