Question Main Monitor won't wake up on 2 monitor setup

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Here's the setup,

2 monitors of different brands (1 Viewsonic - Main, and a Dell - second) both using DisplayPort connections
RTX 3080
ASUS Prime Z390-A motherboard

I just installed an RTX 3080, in addition I updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version.

Now, when my monitors turn off, or sleep, when not in use, only the secondary wakes up, but the main does not display my desktop. The main kind of wakes up as you can see the screen go from black to black with backlight, but no desktop display. Most of the time it will not fully wakeup even if I unplug and plug back in the Display Port connection from the video card. Any suggestions? I have tried Shift+CTRL+Window Key+B and it does not work.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
My first instinct with Displayport is always to check that you're using VESA certified DP cables. Another issue can be that some monitors use really cheap displayport inputs and even with a good cable they can have interference issues that can cause weird issues (display flickering, DRM handshake problems, etc)

The next thing I would check is if there are any driver conflicts. The Windows Debugger (WinDbg) can help you there, though it's not very intuitive to use and you might just end up chasing rabbits.

I know many DP monitors had issues early on with waking from sleep states, but I personally haven't had any issues in a few years with my setup using both of my monitors on DP.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What happens when you swap the monitors, and keep the cables and the outputs the same? Does the issue follow the monitor? Or the cable + output? After that, swap cables. Does it follow the cable, or the output? Etc.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
What happens when you swap the monitors, and keep the cables and the outputs the same? Does the issue follow the monitor? Or the cable + output? After that, swap cables. Does it follow the cable, or the output? Etc.
I will check this further, however I am using the same DP for the Viewsonic that I was with the old GTX 1070Ti. I did add a new DP cable for the Dell monitor, from an HDMI with the old setup.