Main ground to cold water pipe knocked off - turn off power to repair?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
See topic, the ground wire is in a bad spot and it would be immensely easier to have some good lights on to see what I am repairing, but I am sure I should kill power first.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Why not install a proper ground now that you have the opportunity? 8 foot rod, busbar, 6 gauge wire, all that jazz.

As long as it isn't lightning you should be fine, but I'm not an electrician so more knowledgeable will have to address that.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Why not install a proper ground now that you have the opportunity? 8 foot rod, busbar, 6 gauge wire, all that jazz.

As long as it isn't lightning you should be fine, but I'm not an electrician so more knowledgeable will have to address that.

Feels like 13°F

:p

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

Feels like 13°F

Hehehe.

Well, I've spent a lot of time working with house common ground wires while the power was on and I've never been electrocuted, but I'm sure the smart thing to do would be to cut the power and get a flashlight with a battery pack.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: mobobuff

Feels like 13°F

Hehehe.

Well, I've spent a lot of time working with house common ground wires while the power was on and I've never been electrocuted, but I'm sure the smart thing to do would be to cut the power and get a flashlight with a battery pack.

Cut the power if for any reason power is flowing down the ground wire and you touch it with one hand and ground at the same time you could end up dead.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
See topic, the ground wire is in a bad spot and it would be immensely easier to have some good lights on to see what I am repairing, but I am sure I should kill power first.

Why not then ground twice, then remove the old one? :confused:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Analog

Why not then ground twice, then remove the old one? :confused:

Yep, just hook up a jumper.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
You live in Michigan with no backup genny and decent flashlights? :p

Grounds are supposed to be at zero potential. But that's not always the case and there's probably some potential. Either way bond with a small drain wire - 14AWG is sufficient so you don't get tickled. ;)

It's only when you're dealing with very high voltages you have to worry about induction!

Text

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
You live in Michigan with no backup genny and decent flashlights? :p

Grounds are supposed to be at zero potential. But that's not always the case and there's probably some potential. Either way bond with a small drain wire - 14AWG is sufficient so you don't get tickled. ;)

It's only when you're dealing with very high voltages you have to worry about induction!

Text

Decent flashlights yes, but I don't have the luxury of ones that I can suspend in the air as I wiggle into an impossibly small spot while I re-clamp everything. :p Too bad I don't have a headlight.

No generator, though. We only lost power for a few days in subzero weather. :(