Mahir claims Borat ripped him off

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mahir's great quote:
Who is want to come TURKEY I can invitate .....

She can stay my home ........
If you've been on the net for a few years you probably remember Mahir, whose home page was as popular then as "All your base is belong to us", bunny-with-pancake and "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" were not long ago.

Now it comes out that Mahir, largely MIA since his five minutes of fame in 1999, claims that Cohen used Mahir as the inspiration for the Borat character.

This is a copy someone saved of Mahir's classic web page.

Story: Real-life "Borat" seeks apology.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Strangely enough, not having watched a single episode of da Ali G Show and having no idea about the "Borat" character, I actually though the actor drew some influence from Mahir.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I believe that Cohen has already publicly stated in an interview that Mahir was an inspiration for his character.

He even mimics some of his famous scenes in his show and movie.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Strangely enough, not having watched a single episode of da Ali G Show and having no idea about the "Borat" character, I actually though the actor drew some influence from Mahir.

Yeah quite a coincidece there, even down to the looks....

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
.... and the wild and crazy swinger brothers from early SNL (Steve Martin & Dan Ackroyd)

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Sacha Baron Cohen's first Borat-like character appeared on his show in 1994.

Mahir appeared on the web in 1998 or so.

The claim is dubious at best.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Great. Now let's all go patent stereotypes as intelectual property. I'm sure there are a few 'characters' in here.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
this guy is just being an attention whore crying "look at me everybody" after cohen did it bigger and better....

besides i think he is forgetting the lil part about the brains and creativity that made borat what he has become...its not just acting like him..you need the wit and smarts

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I didn't even know who Ali G was before this movie. When I saw the previews, I swear this was that guy that said, "I kiss you!"

He was in the Guinness Book of Records and Mad TV did a skit of him too.