Maggie Gallagher giving up on optimism

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by zsdersw, Jan 4, 2013.

1. soulcougher73

So the animal told you to come * it?

2. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

With an animal consent cannot be determined. If consent cannot be determined it cannot be assumed to be given.

3. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

Yesterday you claimed that people posting opinions contrary to yours was "mind control".

Have you had a change of heart?

4. soulcougher73

Nope "hyprocrisy" starts with an H. Didnt think id have to spell if out for you. I dont know why i cant keep remembering that you need a helping hand at all times. My bad. Ill try better in the future to make my sentences idiot proof for you.

5. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

Again for repetition, giving my opinion is not pushing my morals on anyone.... It is NOT!

No I am not for SSM, so is being against something dictating or pushing my view onto someone? Could I say since you're for it you're pushing yours on me?

Thought not, move along.

6. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

Again this is irrelevant.

Consent is a concept that only makes sense when applied to people.

The horse didn't give you consent to ride it. But for some reason that is considered okay.

The only difference between riding a horse and having sex with it is that you consider one to be "icky".

7. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

This is just my opinion, Charles, when you want to put something into law, you're pushing it onto others who may not want it. Putting things into law doesn't mean it's a bad or unwise thing to do.

I'm not trying to put a legal ban on SSM, nor do I want to, so I ain't pushing a thing on you or anyone.

8. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

No it's not irrelevant. A horse cannot agree to be bound by government/legal/taxation rules nor can it agree to benefits. It cannot give consent to the conditions of legal marriage.

9. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

It cannot give consent to the conditions of YOUR ANIMALPHOBIC DEFINITION of legal marriage.

Either you believe the government cannot discriminate on marriage with regards to sexual orientation or you do not.

10. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

It cannot give consent no matter how you define marriage. Also, our Constitution doesn't give rights to or impose responsibilities on horses and other non-human animals. Until or unless that changes, using bestiality to argue against same-sex marriage is illogical.

11. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

Oh soulcaugher, as far as I see, your ilk are looking to force their view of marriage on the country by changing how marriage is defined. So who's trying to dictate to who?

12. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

And I as I have said the concept of consent only makes sense when applied to humans.

What do you not understand about that?

Did you miss the thread about the 15 year marrying the 90 year old in Saudi Arabia? It does not seem that consent is some of kind of fundamental requirement to marriage. And while requiring consent of all people in a marriage seems sensible, requiring consent of all animals in a marriage does not, as it is perfectly fine to force animals to do things without consent.

But it does give rights to people. People who are attracted to animals are people and have just as much right to marry as homosexuals and heterosexuals.

13. soulcougher73

Yes you are pushing them on me because you are supporting the in-equality we have regarding SSM.

Yes im pushing my equality for all morals on you. Enjoy.

14. zsdersw

zsdersw Lifer

Saudi Arabia != America. And no, it is not perfectly fine to force animals to do things without their consent.

People have the right to marry other people, they do not have the right to marry (enter into a legally binding agreement) with a non-human, because the government and law cannot hold the non-human thing accountable for not meeting the expectations of the agreement.

15. soulcougher73

But by supporting the ban on SSM you are allowing your morals to be pushed on us. What you should do is fight for SSM rights, but keep your beliefs that its wrong to yourself.

I mean how would you like to be born into a world that hetro-marriages were banned and unrecongized and you were as hetro as im assuming you are now?

And just so you know im as hetro as they come. Im married etc. I have no card in this game other than equality for others.

#340 soulcougher73, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

You mean unless that system of morality includes marrying animals

17. soulcougher73

I answered this below going in post order. But yes we are dictating our equality for all upon you. Enjoy. You want to discriminate. I dont. Big difference.

18. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

So you find riding horse to be morally reprehensible?

People have the right to marry a person of the opposite gender ;)

You want to add a new right marry a person of the same gender.

19. soulcougher73

You realize you are defeating your own argument right? You just admitted consent only applies to humans, and marriage requires consent.

Put 2 and 2 together here.

Nevermind ill put it together for you. Almost forgot again. My bad.

If consent is required by our laws for marriage and consent only applies to humans then that means only humans can get married. Not animals, not objects.

Make sense now?

20. soulcougher73

See above post #344. Already debunked your arguement.

21. soulcougher73

OMG THE HORROR!!. Equality and choices. Man that sucks.

22. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

Thanks for admitting that. Lol "enjoy"? I like that little jab. Sure will!

23. soulcougher73

Youre welcome. I dont mind taking about my equality for all. Makes me feel good im going through life not being an ass trying to keep certain people from doing what they want to.

Id much rather be on my death bed knowing i wasnt a bigot or a person who discrimates because i find certain actions gross or wrong.

But enjoy your life of telling others how to live and what they can and cannot do with their life. And if you notice me wanting SSM does nothing to you. Im not telling you how to live. Freedom means nothing to you people.

24. Retro Rob

Retro Rob Diamond Member

How would I feel? Don't know. Bad hypothetical because homosexuality would have to be the norm and hetero the "abnormal" thing. The world would probably be a different place than what it is today. So I don't know, honestly.

Nice try though.

25. soulcougher73

So you lack forward (critical) thinking skills. Got it.

I prefer to look at it as what 2 consenting adults do sexually as not "normal" or "abnormal". Whatever floats their boat, as long as they are adults and consenting i care less.

It shouldnt be that hard to imagine. Just imagine you cannot get married to who you love and are treated as a 2nd class citizen.