Magellan 3100 Firmware Upgrade Available

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Was registering the 3100 I got for my wife and saw that there's a firmware update in case anyone has one and didn't know...

Anyone know how to check my current firmware version? I don't think mine came with this preloaded but don't see a date on when this was released.

Hacking info here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/foru..._ID=102368&whichpage=1

Magellan Maestro 3100 Firmware Update 2.18
It's a 900meg download...
https://www.magellangps.com/su...otes.asp?supportID=537

New Features

Maps

* Added Hawaii and Puerto Rico maps.

Arrival / Distance / Time Remaining

* Easily toggle between arrival time, distance to destination, and time to destination on map screen when routing

Improved Map Screen

* New images and icons
* Smoother updating of the map while driving.
* Split TrueView is disabled when AutoTrueView is unchecked in Map Options
* Exits without any POIs do not appear
* Improved Auto Night view, with smooth day/night switching, adjusted brightness, more colors and ON by default
* Improved vehicle position icon in 3D view

Delete Previous button

* Additional functionality enables user to delete previous destinations and previous cities

Trip Planner

* Added user selectable optimization of trips.

Improved Address Handling

* Previous City list increased to 10
* Addresses outside city boundaries are more easily located
* Address resolution, especially in streets where gaps exist in numbering, is improved
* General fixes, including the display of long addresses
* The country (region) name is displayed in the address entry and POI entry
* Street list display includes the City name at the bottom of the screen
* City list found by the Zip Code, now includes the state name
* Home Button can now be set to the current location or an address
* Delete an entry from entries on Favorites list

Points of Interest (POI)

* Removed duplicate entries for Restaurants
* Added new Restaurants
* Coffee moved to top of POI list
* Search radius changed to 50 miles. If no POIs are found the radius can be expanded to 100 miles.
* Added POIs for Hawaii and Puerto Rico

Fixes

Navigation

* Route list does not reset after it is viewed
* Improved Maneuver List
* Removed line between position and destination
* Changed ?You Have Arrived" timer from 30 seconds to 10 seconds
* Improved route calculations
* Eliminated unnecessary reroutes
* Reduced number of U-Turns calculated
* Removed ?Ding" sound while rerouting
* Spelling/ grammar corrections

General Improvements

* Trip Computer UI given a new look
* Text balanced, centered and constrained throughout
* Dimmed checkboxes used on Navigation Instruction Option screen

Then on the second page it says:

Follow this guide to update your Magellan Maestro 3100 with maps for Hawaii and Puerto Rico, and increase your Points of Interest to 1.3 Million.

Valrafael

Dec 27, 2007
Has anyone tried the update for the Magellan 3100? Did you have any problems updating the firmware? I was about to try updating, but the battery was too low (one bar).

Anyone know where I can get an adapter so I can plug the device to a wall socket?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You can buy an adapter from Magellan ($20 or so). Or you can buy an adapter thing that plugs into the wall and give you a cigarette lighter type socket and then you can plug the car charger into that.

I was going to do the update tonight but mine needs a good charging too.

turtle0747

Jan 2, 2008
:Disgust;
Hello Valrafael

I have tried to updatefirmware 2.18. I get to the welcome screen. When I turn on my gps the computer thinks it is a hard drive. It is picking up the hard drive and memory card. When I click next it goes to a DOS screen saying 'syntax of command is incorrect press any key'. When I do that I get 'Failed c:Docum../Tim../local FormatVolume.bat' Now I have lost everything on the GPS. Help.

Bill Kunert

Oct 9, 1999
I've done the update with no problems. The first thing to do is to create a folder in Windows Explorer and copy all files from the GPS to your computer. Many people have been reporting problems with the upgrade but I had no problems. You need the SD card because apparently the installer copies the files to the card and then installs them to the GPS. If you try it without an AC charger be sure you are fully charged. Windows explorer will show 2 drives. TFAT which is the GPS and Removable Disk which is the SD card. From what I've read it will not work with Vista. There is also a thread in this forum on adding a 6 million POI file to the 3100 on a SD card to replace the 1.2 million(after update) on the 3100. I've done that an it works great.

jshofstra

Jan 11, 2008
I also had trouble with updating and turned my 3100 into a brick. Fortunately, it was under warranty. When I called tech support they said there have been problems with the update and that someone was working on fixing them. Now today they are saying it is OK to update, and have recommended turning off AV and firewall during the update. With all that said, can anyone else offer some tips on doing the update. Like turtle0747, when I connected my gps to the computer it appeared as a hard drive (no special drivers seemed to be uploaded). I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I just followed the instructions and had no problems. Just be sure you do exactly what it says.

Did they release a new update now or s it still 2.18?

jeffar

Feb 10, 2008
I say that help was out there so I am going to give my issue. Tried to load the firmware update 2.18 using DSL and it did not complete, only 26% loaded. I am going to try a T-1 but I keep getting the following:

FILE NOT FOUND, anyone have any ideas?

J:disgust:

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
You can't get the file to download or can't get it to install once you download it? I torrented it so you could try to download it that way if that's what you need. Search for it at mininova.org...

jeffar

Feb 10, 2008

This came today and I thought I would share it in case someone else is having issues.

Thank you for contacting Magellan. This email is in response to your query
about the Maestro 3100.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issue you have experienced with
our website.

I understand from your mail that you find difficulty on downloading the
firmware update 2.18

I am sorry to inform you that this firmware update is under testing phase to
provide improved service.We are working out some bugs and it is taking longer
than we anticipated.

We deeply regret the inconvenience caused and request you to kindly try after
few days to upgrade the firmware version. If you have further queries, please
get back to us.

fwupow

Nov 22, 2001
Magellan has just kicked the 31xx models to the curb. They are no longer in the product listing at Magellan's website and Amazon is clearing them out at 69 bucks a piece. The updates are still available for registered product owners.