made my decision

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
my friend's birthday is coming up on june 1st. She is my best friend and i absolutly adore her. I like her more than as friends but she doesn't, and i'm happy being friends(albeit a bit dissapointed, but i've gotten over it) so far i wrote her a really nice letter, got her some of her favourite candy and a cd she has wanted for ages. Someone here had suggested a good gift for a significant other would be to get a dictionary and highlight all the words in it that reminds you of them. I was thinking of doing this(i have a lot of unused dictionaries, thanks to dictionary.com ;)) but is this a bit much? she knows how i feel about her, but regardless i know she'd think it's really sweet. Any downsides to doing this?

edit: i'm just going to stick with the original gift(s) and save that idea for someone else :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I think the highlighting of dictionary words is a bit to much. It may freak her out or scare her, resulting in her getting further and further away from you. I would suggest a sweet simple card, some "friendly" flowers, maybe chocolates, maybe tickets to a show, movie, or dinner or something.

Try and keep it platonic without crossing the "he's a weirdo stalker" fine line.

roncarter

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2002
if she doesnt want anything more then to be friends with you, then you shouldnt do anything other then what friends would do or she probably wont like it cuz shes already told you she only wants to be freinds. I think the dictionary thing is going a little too far. Thats too meaningful for just friends. The other gifts sound great though.. i would stick with that

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I think the highlighting of dictionary words is a bit to much. It may freak her out or scare her, resulting in her getting further and further away from you. I would suggest a sweet simple card, some "friendly" flowers, maybe chocolates, maybe tickets to a show, movie, or dinner or something.

Try and keep it platonic without crossing the "he's a weirdo stalker" fine line.

she's not the kind of person to get freaked out by something like that, she lives for attention, which is why i remembered that idea. although i think it is a bit much, guess i won't do it.

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: roncarter
if she doesnt want anything more then to be friends with you, then you shouldnt do anything other then what friends would do or she probably wont like it cuz shes already told you she only wants to be freinds. I think the dictionary thing is going a little too far. Thats too meaningful for just friends. The other gifts sound great though.. i would stick with that

I absloutely agree

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Letter, candy and CD. Nix the dictionary, that's a little too much. :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Although she probably wouldn't be freaked out I still wouldn't do it.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I think that's a really sweet and wonderful idea ! One of the best gifts I've gotten was a cd of custom music with a custom label made just for me. Any fool can plunk down a credit card to buy a gift, when a guy does something clever that takes him a little time though, it really impresses us ladies and if she's the type that likes attention, she'll love it :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You don't want to get her the dictionary cause she's your friend, you want to get her the dictionary cause you like her (yes, that way), and it's painfully obvious. I mean hell, I knew jsut by lookngi at the title of the thread that your friend was female and that you liked her. (Yes, it really is THAT obvious).

Think about it like this: Would you get that for ANY of your other friends, male or female? No. What makes her so special that you'd get it for her? It's cause you like her. If you're really sure you never have a chance with her, you've got to go out with someone else, cause that's really the only way you're going to get over her that way.

I used to have the biggest crush on this girl, but I was friends with her boyfriend, and nothing ever happened between us. But this situation went on for over a year. The longer the situation lasts, the worse it gets. She gets up on this pedastal where she can do no wrong (well, she can, but you don't know it, cause you're relationship is a fantasy - and therefore perfect). Eventually I went out with some other girls, and I got over her, and beleive it or not, we're still friends 4 years later. I'm still friends with her old boyfriend (they eventually broke up, when she moved 1000 miles away for school) too.

Now I've got a friend in her, and I've also got my girlfriend, who I love more than anything. As long as you keep this thing up, you have no girlfriend, and you have a friend you can't be honest with.

That being said - don't get the dictionary.

lawaris

Banned
Jun 26, 2001
I made a fuk*ing bouquet of flowers picked from the Univ. garden ( illegal)...........................

mighty impressive till u lose the girl and then u wonder .... why the fu*k did I do it then ?
All the risks and the trouble !!:(

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
First off, only you know your friend, we don't, so do what you think she will love. That said, its very very sweet, I would love it if a guy did something so original for me. And it really is ok to do something sweet for a friend too, just shows you are a very good hearted guy. :)

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
notfred,
i know thats exactly why i'm doing this ;) i have been looking for other girls but so far i've had 3 no's, and am currently looking for a 4th no. and you do speak the truth...

lol@the fur teddy thing :)

i think i'm gonna stick with the candy cd and letter. i'll save the dictionary thing for someone else :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: toph99
notfred,
i know thats exactly why i'm doing this ;) i have been looking for other girls but so far i've had 3 no's, and am currently looking for a 4th no. and you do speak the truth...

You're a wiser man than most that can both recognize and admit that, now you just need to work on fixing it. Good luck :)

i think i'm gonna stick with the candy cd and letter. i'll save the dictionary thing for someone else :)

Good idea, hope you find "someone else" soon :)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
meh, you will see the error your ways :p

btw, for the dictionary thing... how is she supposed to find the words? there are a lot of pages... she'd probably miss a lot if she just flipped through it.

NoxPT

May 18, 2002
personally man I think it is a bit obsessive. I mean you're already written her a letter, gotten her candy and her aparently fav CD I think thats enough. but thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Nox

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Just send money. Everybody likes money. The dictionary idea is stupid. Do you want to look stupid in front of this girl? Then do the Dictionary idea.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NoxPT
personally man I think it is a bit obsessive. I mean you're already written her a letter, gotten her candy and her aparently fav CD I think thats enough. but thats just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Nox

to any other girl it might seem to be obsessive, but this girl lives for attention. and the best kind of attention for her is something you put time into(which is why i did the letter instead of a regular card)

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: baffled2
cracks me up, you ask for advice on a gift for a girl, 2 girls give you the thumbs up on it, but do you listen to us? noooo !!!!!!! :)

actually i was thinking that when i made my changes, how the males and females had totally different opinions. i think i'll ask a few more females and see what they think

btw, you need to drop into #neochat more baffled :p