'Made in the USA' making a comeback...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
And I imagine its going to get worse as more people becone pro "made in the USA", companies will do whatever it takes to get the label even if you or I would hardly call it made in america. I hope some legislation passes that says all of the product has to be made here in order to use the label.
yeah they had to do that in my country because of fake watches, now there is a fixed % that has to be made locally to deserve the label.
For food products even the material has to be local.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
yeah they had to do that in my country because of fake watches, now there is a fixed % that has to be made locally to deserve the label.
For food products even the material has to be local.

Even that percentage is routinely circumvented, however last I heard they were working on changing even more of those requirements.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/b...s-to-tighten-requirements.html?pagewanted=all

As for made in USA I am not going to be the guy that says it is great until I see some tangible results, if the quality is as good or lesser and costs are higher then beyond job creation I would fail to see the point, but if they can pull off higher quality at the same or slightly higher prices then it will be good.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
quite a few things are 'assembled in usa'. or 'made in usa' = made in some far off us territory

Far off as in like Saipan where clothing factories use imported Chinese workers to get the coveted Made in USA label.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
A wonderful trend I hope to see continue. I know I try to buy American-made goods, probably not as actively as I should though. But I still shy about from buying American-made clothing (since it's mostly expensive crap I don't care much about anyway).

As long as its truly made in the US, thats a good thing

THIS.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A wonderful trend I hope to see continue. I know I try to buy American-made goods, probably not as actively as I should though. But I still shy about from buying American-made clothing (since it's mostly expensive crap I don't care much about anyway).

THIS.

American socks are fine. Usually, you brands at Walmart that have packages from both the USA and other countries and they are exactly the same price (only difference is the made in "XXXX" location).

I paid $1.00 extra ($4.99 vs $3.99) for a "Made in the USA" mop yesterday. I try my best to put my money where the jobs that affect me are...right here!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
A factory full of robots in the US is better (for us) than a factory full of people elsewhere because, even with robots (and automation), there are still operators and there are engineers (usually more to support the automation) as well as many other plant personnel. Then throw in the many thousands of people who develop, build, program and support the automation (at least in the US as I know that can be offshored too).
And then you could also manufacture products for export, to try to address a huge trade deficit.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I bought about $10k in guns and magazines that are all made in the USA.

Springfield, Bushmaster, Arsenal, KelTec, Magpul, Checkmate, etc

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Originally Posted by Doppel
Doubt it. People will continue to strive for cheaper and Chinese made is not always junk. Most claims to the contrary ignore the compulsion of the tragedy of the commons. A lot of the growth and/or return of US manufacturing is via technological advances (automation). This is a good thing, but it's a meaningful point.

Let him and his buddies ilk continue to spew, their hate for America is in clear black and white for the world to see.
Mcowen, you really are an imbecile.