"Made in the EC", what is EC?

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
I'm thinking it's Ecuador, however, "Made in the Ecuador" just doesn't sound right. Anyone?

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Kenazo
european collective... they are taking over the world.

yes
(more like community)
and no
can't do
the US did that a long time ago

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
linked

The European Union (EU) is a union of fifteen independent states based on the European Communities and founded to enhance political, economic and social co-operation. Formerly known as European Community (EC) or European Economic Community (EEC).

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
Okay, so "Made in the EC/EU" means that the product was made in one of those countries in the link? I mean, why not just use the actual name of the country itself?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Biggs
Okay, so "Made in the EC/EU" means that the product was made in one of those countries in the link? I mean, why not just use the actual name of the country itself?

cause they want to be cool and sound uber powerful , made in Luxembourg just doesn't sound very intimidating

i dunno, the EU may be the first steps towards a unified European Govt. someday, i guess they want to portray that in economic matters right now, or something

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: Biggs

cause they want to be cool and sound uber powerful , made in Luxembourg just doesn't sound very intimidating

i dunno, the EU may be the first steps towards a unified European Govt. someday, i guess they want to portray that in economic matters right now, or something
they are just saving money by using fewer letters

skrjones

Aug 16, 2003
For a sensible answer I turn to myself, but then because I live in the UK (part of the EU) I have gotten used to this ages ago. (But they can stick that Euro funny money where the sun don't shine)

The EC/EU have unified policy on all trading standards so its not necessary to specify which country the product is made in espec as the product may be made in more than one country.
What the "Made in the EC" signifies is that the product should come upto those standards laid down over the whole of the EU.

Think about this though. A lot of the countries in the EC are smaller than states in the US of A so what they do is exactly what America does with your products and instead of made in Kentucky you have made in the USA.

(I realise the USA is one complete country and the EU is not but you get the point)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
if it's in french and written 'fabrique en E-U' then EU is etats-unis, united states.

Same goes for Spanish (EU = Estados Unidos), or formally EEUU (Estados Unidos de Norteamerica).