Madden question

Jul 12, 2001
I have been playing this since it has come out and i almost never can even get the chance to return a punt, every punt ends up being a fair catch because my team doesnt block a single guy.

is there some secret, even when i do have a chance to catch it there are 5 guys from the other team waiting for me

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I hate madden now that they destroyed the ESPN series. I used to buy their game every year, not this year though.

zainali

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2003
what year do you have?

Originally posted by: Cuda1447
I hate madden now that they destroyed the ESPN series. I used to buy their game every year, not this year though.

madden/ea did not destroy the ESPN series. NFL did it themselves by giving exclusive contract to EA. nba also had an offer on the table but they decided against it.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: zainali
what year do you have?

madden/ea did not destroy the ESPN series. NFL did it themselves by giving exclusive contract to EA. nba also had an offer on the table but they decided against it.

This is true. But I will still blame Madden for it!

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
I might recommend calling for a punt block formation. The CPU will automatically pull more people into the line of scrimmage to counter your attack. Before the ball is snapped, switch to a linebacker and run back towards the punt returner. As the returner is fielding the catch, control the linebacker and set up a block on the first tackler down field. Also, don't forget to substitute the standard punt returner for someone quicker on the team...there is almost always someone faster and speed is king.

Hope this helps.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Smart business by EA. Stupid choice by NFL.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
There are many more reasons to hate EA than just the NFL contract. Such as all the companies they destroyed.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: PrelateBishop
I might recommend calling for a punt block formation. The CPU will automatically pull more people into the line of scrimmage to counter your attack. Before the ball is snapped, switch to a linebacker and run back towards the punt returner. As the returner is fielding the catch, control the linebacker and set up a block on the first tackler down field. Also, don't forget to substitute the standard punt returner for someone quicker on the team...there is almost always someone faster and speed is king.

Hope this helps.

yeah i have been doing punt block and that does give me a little more room, i will try blocking them myself with the linebacker.

thanks

JJI56

Mar 22, 2004
i noticed that too. in old versions of madden your team would try to block, in this one they stand there and look at you

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle
Originally posted by: PrelateBishop

Hope this helps.

yeah i have been doing punt block and that does give me a little more room, i will try blocking them myself with the linebacker.

thanks

That works for me in 05

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
So I guess I'm not the only one with 4 blockers staring at the punt returner.

Makes no damn sense. . . . , is there some new rule where they're no allowed to block until the return man catches the ball???????

Fuggin retarded.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BD231
So I guess I'm not the only one with 4 blockers staring at the punt returner.

Makes no damn sense. . . . , is there some new rule where they're no allowed to block until the return man catches the ball???????

Fuggin retarded.

haha yeah...it is ridiculus...

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I recommend changing the slider (somewhere in the options) so that CPU punts go further. They might boom them for 50-60 yards, but at least you get room for a decent shot at a return.

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
if there's only one guy in your face when you're returning a punt, try putting a move on him as soon as you catch it. most of my best punt returns came after doing that.

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: sleepmachine
if there's only one guy in your face when you're returning a punt, try putting a move on him as soon as you catch it. most of my best punt returns came after doing that.

Most of my fumbles came after doing that. :(

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
my biggest issue with Madden is that the CPU doesn't block for me. Even on running plays, they just run right by the guy, or let him go, and then I go nowhere.

I don't even bother attempting to return punts if I see more than 1 guy from the other team there. Even when some guys run back to defend, they just stand there and stare at the grass like they're retarded.

Kevin1211

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
am i playing the same game as u guys..lol .... i get perfect blocking. Well not perfect, but enough to get 15-20 yards. and with running plays, my blockers open holes for me, and i will get a first down 80% of the time. This is for madden 05 and 06...

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Kevin1211
am i playing the same game as u guys..lol .... i get perfect blocking. Well not perfect, but enough to get 15-20 yards. and with running plays, my blockers open holes for me, and i will get a first down 80% of the time. This is for madden 05 and 06...

Stop playing on pansy mode

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I think I'm gonna go enjoy ESPN NFL 2K5........crap, I gave it to someone as a good-bye gift, DAMNIT YOU GUYS MADE ME FEEL BAD NOW!!

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: venk
Originally posted by: Kevin1211

Stop playing on pansy mode

haha seriously...