Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
fkHivoM.jpg

Welcome! Thanks for checking out my tribute to Mad Max & his Interceptor build log. This is one of my Bucket list theme PC builds. My mother brought me to the premiere of The Road Warrior movie and I've been fan of this world ever since. This will be a modified desktop PC with liquid cooling. Inspired by visual elements of Max's Interceptor and the Mad Max World. ...and maybe Fury Road. There shall be rust and maybe even a Detonator attached to the PC? (lol). I'll be sharing highlights of it's progression stages, including video clip links as I move along in this thread. I have a basic idea of what PC hardware components will occupy this mad max inspired PC (motherboard, CPU, DDR, GPU, SSD, PSU) The case is an Enermax Equlilence they donated to me last year. If you've followed my past personal builds, I like to find good deals on hardware whenever possible I do plan to fabricate the liquid cooling lines from 361 marine grade stainless tubing. No idea what brand of CPU & GPU water blocks, radiators and fittings I'll use yet.

Enermax-EQUILENCE-Silent-TG-Tempered-Glass-Case-Mad-Max-Mnpctech-One.jpg

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech1.jpg

The case is the Enermax Equilence I was given. It sorta looks like a Fractal Case, but without any of the well thought out features.

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech2.jpg

I apologize in advance if you're expecting me to pose a Mad Max action figure inside the case (haha). The Interceptor's V8 feels more appropriate. The scale Ford engine I'm using is by LIBERTY Classics, http://www.libertyclassics.com/

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech3.jpg

90-degree-24-pin-mainboard-motherboard-connector.jpg

90 degree 24 pin motherboard connector, https://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gami...-atx-connector-for-motherboard-mainboard.html

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech5.jpg

I've added motorized shaft to spin the supercharger belt, you can watch it here, https://twitter.com/Mnpctech/status/992023385818492928

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech4.jpg

I've modified the supercharger pulleys with larger plates to keep the belt from rolling off.

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech6.jpg

I will be fabricating a new engine scoop to emulate Max's Scott Injector Scoop and painting everything dark grey.

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Always look forward to your wild builds, Bill!

Suggest you connect the Detonator as the final defence against Meltdown/Spectre. Are you going to connect the 'blower' to the rad? ;-)

Reactions: Thebobo

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I might be the only one who thinks this, but I think you gotta pay homage to Aunty Entity's earrings somewhere on there ;)

Pic removed

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
Love the suggestions, keep the posts coming! :)

If anyone's interested, my DIY guide on using hole saw to improve airflow in a plastic PC bezel, https://youtu.be/stysHOBOfvk

I cut this opening in the Equilence bezel with a Jigsaw.

enermax-Equilence-case-mod-mnpctech.jpg

mod-mesh-grill-hex-sheets-cheap.jpg

mod-mesh-grill-enermax-Equilence-case-mnpctech.jpg

mesh-sheet-grill-hex-hexagon-honeycomb-air-vent-cooler-master-mod.jpg

Reactions: Campy

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Love the suggestions, keep the posts coming! :)

This case (and all your cases for that matter) are very cool to watch them come together. Heck, I barely have the patience to neatly route my PSU cables properly.

Now I might be a *little biased here, but I think for your next case project, you should really consider a Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' case with a glowing/pulsing prism. :smile:

*little = hugely

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
As always your work is epic.

And some Moderator notes:
I will keep this thread heavily moderated, so please refrain from pictures unless at the request of the original poster.
The original poster also reserves the right to request to have pictures removed not belonging to his thread to keep the flow of his work.

So if you find a picture which you want removed let me know.

Moderator Aigo.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
As always your work is epic.

And some Moderator notes:
I will keep this thread heavily moderated, so please refrain from pictures unless at the request of the original poster.
The original poster also reserves the right to request to have pictures removed not belonging to his thread to keep the flow of his work.

So if you find a picture which you want removed let me know.

Moderator Aigo.

Uh oh, I think I just got in trouble. ;)

I went ahead a deleted my pic so it didn't detract from his build shots. :)

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
@UsandThem I did a Wall tribute several years ago, it was a blast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_agp_RLSU

I did this tribute to Chris Cornell last year. Keeping my mind busy creating, is how I deal with sadness.

chris-cornell-art-album-memorial-tribute-case-mod.jpg

I'd like do a Neil Young Harvest moon theme tribute someday. It will have wood and tan leather accents.

Had opportunity to get back into the workshop yesterday and make some progress on my Mad Max / Road Warrior / Fury Road tribute PC build. I've decided to locate the V8 to the top panel. I'm going to mock up a 120mm slim radiator to see how it looks in front of the V8 engine and bezel. Hmm, on 2nd thought, maybe a 80mm radiator would be better scale? I still need to fabricate the proper diamond blower for the engine. The Enermax Equilence case lacks a vertical GPU mount, so I've modified the chassis for this compact ITX/MATX vertical GPU bracket, goo.gl/XGejK1 It's mounted on aluminum diamond plate, painted matte black. Here's a photo I found of the Falcon XB from the Fury Road movie before some stages I captured of my progress.

mad-max-fury-road-scale-falcon-XB.jpg

mad-max-pc-mod-scale-V8-engine-falcon-xb.jpg

milwaukee-jigsaw-review-2018.jpg

compact-vertical-video-card-pc-case-mount-bracket-diy-mnpctech-black.jpg

mad-max-pc-mod-vertical-gpu-video-card-mount-bracket-one.jpg

mad-max-pc-mod-vertical-gpu-video-card-mount-bracket-.jpg

mad-max-pc-mod-vertical-gpu-video-card-mount-bracket-two.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
@UsandThem I did a Wall tribute several years ago, it was a blast, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP_agp_RLSU

I did this tribute to Chris Cornell last year. Keeping my mind busy creating, is how I deal with sadness.

chris-cornell-art-album-memorial-tribute-case-mod.jpg

I know people shouldn't post any pictures in your build thread, but after seeing the pure awesomeness of 'The Wall' build, and the Soundgarden 'Badmotorfinger' case, I think it deserved just one :) :

giphy.gif

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
lol i used to remember watching you cut your metal pieces using a jewelers saw by hand over at XS.

But looking at those pics it seems like you use a jiggy now?

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
@UsandThem Thank you!....btw, Are you into Vinyl? If so, whats your turntable brand and model? Just curious, as customizing Turntables is my new passion.

@aigomorla I've used variety of power and hand tools, depends entirely on the job, but Jigsaw is ideal for cutting and removing portions of a chassis, efficiently.

make-vertical-gpu-mount-bracket-cheap.jpg

That's location for the GPU with this do-it-yourself vertical mount. The final GPU will have water block.

mad-max-ford-falcon-xb-rear-fuel-tanks.jpg

Next stage is modifying the top rear portion of the Enermax Equilence case to hold two water reservoirs to emulate the rear fuel tanks on the falcon XB.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
@UsandThem Thank you!....btw, Are you into Vinyl? If so, whats your turntable brand and model? Just curious, as customizing Turntables is my new passion.

Sorry, I'm not. The funny thing was my record player broke down, and I got rid of my entire record collection around 1999-2000. Back then records were considered outdated, so I really didn't mind since because at that time I had just started ripping my CDs to MP3s for convenience.

Of course 5 years later the whole record scene started taking off, but by that time I just said "Ah, screw it", and I just stuck with CDs. I find that listening to a properly mastered CD with good headphones is pretty dang good experience. :)

But now that Pink Floyd has released their catalog on vinyl, I have been tempted at times. But first I need to satisfy my Star Wars toy addiction. :D

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
If you decide to get another turntable, lemme know, I can share some recommendations based on budget

To emulate the rear fuel tanks in the Falcon XB, I'll be using EK-RES X3 150mm reservoirs. btw, these photos are stills from video I'm making of the entire build, once it finished for my YT channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterMawd

I'm wondering if I can use clips from the movie without audio in my video? no clue...

enermax-waterblock-equilence-case-mod.jpg

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech8.jpg

enermax-Equilence-gaming-pc-computex-case-mod-mnpctech7.jpg

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
Do you recall the Red pull switch on Max's stick shift for his Supercharger? I thought it would be fun to somehow implement it into my Mad Max tribute build. The switch is used in commercial vehicles for controlling a two-speed axle assembly. I found it on Ebay as Cole Hersee part number 50036-BX.

Mad-Max-supercharger-Cole-Hersee-switch-50036-BX.jpg

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
What do you use for cutting small holes? I made this guide for Step Drill Bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVs3tLZQZ6g

I found Max's Falcon rim in web search attached Nikko Toyota HiLux 4WD R/C truck, but I'll check the R/C Hobby Stores

nikkotoyotahilux4wd014.jpg

Our scale V8 sitting next to Black ICE GTX 80mm radiator. This morning I found 36mm thick 80mm radiator online shown below. Suppose Flex tube loop would be appropriate.

best-80mm-pc-radiator-alphacool-black-ice.jpg

80mm-pc-water-cool-radiator-AIO-replace-fix.jpg

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Do you recall the Red pull switch on Max's stick shift for his Supercharger? I thought it would be fun to somehow implement it into my Mad Max tribute build. The switch is used in commercial vehicles for controlling a two-speed axle assembly. I found it on Ebay as Cole Hersee part number 50036-BX.

Mad-Max-supercharger-Cole-Hersee-switch-50036-BX.jpg
When I used to make deliveries for a local garden center the truck that I used was an old Ford dump truck with a split shift manual transmission and the truck used a lever just like that. God I hated that truck with a passion.
Anyway, impressive build so far and I look forward to your updates.

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
Thank you for sharing bbhaag!!

Had some time yesterday to get more progress in. The larger Black Ice Nemesis GTX 80mm radiator may have won me over, instead of the scale appropriate generic radiator I was considering. It also allows options for different compression fittings, versus the welded inlet/outlet ports. I've mounted the classic aluminum framed Evercool 80mm fan. I'll probably paint the fan dark grey.

80mm-pc-watercool-radiator-alphacool-hardware-labs-aluminum-fan-one.jpg

80mm-pc-watercool-radiator-alphacool-hardware-labs-aluminum-fan-two.jpg

80mm-pc-watercool-radiator-alphacool-hardware-labs-aluminum-fan-three.jpg

80mm-pc-watercool-radiator-alphacool-hardware-labs-aluminum-fan-four.jpg

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Great work so far! Hope you leave the fan uncovered so visitors can touch it while asking "What does this do?"

Reactions: CU

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
haha! good point hound

I'm going to cut the top panel again and rotate the 80mm radiator 90 degrees, so the radiator is no longer protruding so high. I stumbled upon this hydraulic shock in my junk drawer and used it as support for the scale engine. I may replace it with something else if/when it feels right. btw, the supercharger in the movie could be turned on and off via an electrical switch, which isnt true in reality. They elevated the supercharger upon brackets over the engine with an electric motor, haha. The photo below illustrates the same electric supercharger setup as the movie.

mad-max-case-mod-shock-absorber.jpg

mad-max-fake-electric-supercharger-setup.jpg

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
haha, thats hollywood, eh? I might fabricate a hood as well. I made scale vette stingray cowl duct hood in 2005 with sheet metal and body filler

cpu_magazine_asus_msi_zotac_corvette_stingray_mnpctech.jpg

Yesterday I cut the top panel further so I could rotate the 80mm radiator onto it's side. It just protruded too much. I want the supercharger and blower to be more of the focal point, just a little OCD? maybe... haha

small-scale-mad-max-engine-falcon-V8.jpg

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
That's looking a little more 'balanced' - although being a Mad Max tribute, balance is probably overrated.

If decide to go totally mad...could use the blower to inject LN2.

Mnpctech

Oct 16, 2015
no doubt!

The Max mod is consuming my bench space, haha. Last night I cut opening in the 5.25 bay to route the tubing from the 80mm radiator

mnpctech-workshop-bench-case-mod.jpg

mnpctech-workshop-bench-case-mod-minneapolis.jpg