Mad ferengi watering can

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm too cheap to spend the 2-5 dollars to buy a watering can.

I've been using 20oz bottles and 1 liter bottles to water my plants.

What do you guys think would be the most efficient design for a ghetto watering can under $1?

Only requirements would be needs to hold at least 40oz of water and be 'gentle' with the watering

Something like Text

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Well, its more than $1, but can I suggest a 40 of Hurricane? Then fill it with water and pour?

I figure you're strapped for cash, but the extra dollar comes back to you in the form of a solid buzz. Win-win-win.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
get a 44 oz coke from the gas station. the one in the reusable plastic cup.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Well, its more than $1, but can I suggest a 40 of Hurricane? Then fill it with water and pour?

I figure you're strapped for cash, but the extra dollar comes back to you in the form of a solid buzz. Win-win-win.

I'm not strapped for cash per se, just real cheap about shit like this lol

But I like where you're going with this. MOAR

Originally posted by: ElFenix
get a 44 oz coke from the gas station. the one in the reusable plastic cup.

That would result in water rushing out. I need something more gentle.

Imagine the plant being a vagina (a flower if you will), and the watering device an extension of my hand. Gentle is the name of the game here.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
hole hut off the top of a 2.5gallon water jug will work best. Even has the little spout at the bottom to pour out of if use it on its side.

Otherwise, cut off the spout and a portion of the top and use to pour. Paint diagram coming.

EDIT: www.kelvrick.com/cheapness.jpgwww.kelvrick.com/cheapness.jpg
Red is portion to cut off. Blue = water

EDIT: You should probably make a trip to your local dollar tree/99cent store and find whatever else may be used to hold water. Then cut off a portion and attach like an extra hair guard for the drain to where you pour water out so it splits the flow out into little streams.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: tasmanian
Use your hose or a 1 gal water jug with holes poked in the lid/top.

Don't have a hose. This is for a balcony. I gotta get the water from my bathtub cuz the sink is too shallow. Holes poked on top of a 1 gal water jug may work though.

Originally posted by: Kelvrick
hole hut off the top of a 2.5gallon water jug will work best. Even has the little spout at the bottom to pour out of if use it on its side.

Otherwise, cut off the spout and a portion of the top and use to pour. Paint diagram coming.

This may work.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I'd say just go with the 40. It's imperative that you use each bottle only once, though. You'll have to get one each time you water the plants, possibly two if you have a lot of plants to water. But you won't care, trust me.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Put the plant in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer. As a bonus, you can use the sprayer to rinse off the leaves of most plants (other than ones with fuzzy leaves like African violets) to clean the dust off of them, and you can leave them in the sink for a few minutes to allow excess water to drain from the pot (rather than have them sit in stale water like they would if you just watered them where they sit in your house.) Most houseplants do not like to sit in water after watering.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
Put the plant in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer. As a bonus, you can use the sprayer to rinse off the leaves of most plants (other than ones with fuzzy leaves like African violets) to clean the dust off of them, and you can leave them in the sink for a few minutes to allow excess water to drain from the pot (rather than have them sit in stale water like they would if you just watered them where they sit in your house.) Most houseplants do not like to sit in water after watering.

Great idea. One problem though; that lets all the soil that leaks thru the drainage holes go down the drain. My kitchen sink has no garbage disposal; we have to keep anything bigger than a grain of rice out of the sink...and I still have to pour a bottle of Liquid Plumber down there once a month.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
40 oz/ for a buck? Hrm. Take your 1L containers you have now and drill holes in the caps. Something tells me your ferengi ass threw them away though eh? There's definately a rule of aqusition that has been broken somewhere.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
40 oz/ for a buck? Hrm. Take your 1L containers you have now and drill holes in the caps. Something tells me your ferengi ass threw them away though eh? There's definately a rule of aqusition that has been broken somewhere.

Here lies the dilemma in the 1 liter bottles

They don't fit under my sink because it's too shallow. Therefore, I would have to use the bathtub. Now, if I puncture holes in the cap, I would have to fill the bottle through the narrow end from my bathtub = mad inefficient. If I cut off the bottom of the bottle so I can fill it up faster, I can't use the cap.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Take swig out of your container of choice. Spit water onto plant.

If it helps, you can picture the plant as a vagina and get as close as you want to it and be as gentle as needed while watering it.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: TwiceOver

Here lies the dilemma in the 1 liter bottles

They don't fit under my sink because it's too shallow. Therefore, I would have to use the bathtub. Now, if I puncture holes in the cap, I would have to fill the bottle through the narrow end from my bathtub = mad inefficient. If I cut off the bottom of the bottle so I can fill it up faster, I can't use the cap.

Hrm. Sounds like your sink sucks. Well, garage (garbage) sale season is coming around the corner.