Mad cow Oh no

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Did I just hear mad cow in Washington state? I'm trying to eat my dinner.
CNN has been covering it live for the last hour or more, but I don't see anything on their web site yet. I'm sure there will be soon. It is (so far) a single case in Washington state.

Edit: Doh! Nothing but this bright red banner at the top of the page: U.S. Department of Agriculture confirms a cow in Washington state has tested "presumptive positive" for mad cow disease. Details soon.

It doesn't have a link yet.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Well... aren't I glad I didn't switch to Atkins... ;):p

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Mad Cow, Alzheimers, and any other brain wasting disease is a morbid fear of mine. If this goes beyond a few cases or infects a human, I will quit eating beef altogether. Like Dan Quayle said, "What a waste it is to lose ones mind".

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Why would shares of McDonalds drop because of this news? Since when they did start using real beef?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: HelloDeli
Mad Cow, Alzheimers, and any other brain wasting disease is a morbid fear of mine. If this goes beyond a few cases or infects a human, I will quit eating beef altogether. Like Dan Quayle said, "What a waste it is to lose ones mind".

I don't think it is apparent to the patient when he suffers from those diseases. Let's hope not in any event. I think I think the folks who have to help these folks suffer the maximum pain..

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ouch! Up here in Canada we had a case of Madcow last year and it practically nuked the Beef industry. Hopefully the same doesn't happen down there.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
It's been partial Horsemeat for years now, now will be 100% Horsemeat like Dog food.

Another example of the many supposed "facts" you tell Dave?

BTW, still waiting on your "documentation" to appear in that other thread.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What's the problem with Horse meat. The French love horse meat. I've never heard of Mad Horse Disease.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Corn
It's been partial Horsemeat for years now, now will be 100% Horsemeat like Dog food.

Another example of the many supposed "facts" you tell Dave?

BTW, still waiting on your "documentation" to appear in that other thread.

Notice I did not have a link, was going by a Lawyer friend said a ways back.

From McDonalds.com Ingredients page:

Beef Patty: 100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Donna has to dig the paperwork out from her desk area, I have asked her to find the docs, as soon as she gets it out I'll post it.

NumbersGuy

Sep 16, 2002
Not to worry:

After killing & testing several cows they'll announce it was only that one, which infected itself to get attention: no problem!

No problem with the mad deer either. Or the ticks. Or the eggs, chicken, fish. And what is really in that pizza? At least Saddam is under control.

:confused: :disgust:

(Eat all the meat you can find or the terrorists win)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The problem that I have (maybe I'm just being a little paranoid or ignorant) is that they removed the brain, spinal cord and lower intestine, which are suppose to be the "infected" portions of the cow, and then sent the REST to a meat processing plant.
rolleye.gif

Does this not bother anyone else?

/Me goes to find some chicken!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Engineer
The problem that I have (maybe I'm just being a little paranoid or ignorant) is that they removed the brain, spinal cord and lower intestine, which are suppose to be the "infected" portions of the cow, and then sent the REST to a meat processing plant.
rolleye.gif

Does this not bother anyone else?

/Me goes to find some chicken!

Hey, an Engineer sighting in P&N :D

Yeah sure, it's only one cow, that's why they only destroyed just about every Cow in Europe to get it under control.
rolleye.gif

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
The reason they killed all the cows in Europe was because they had a practise of feeding animal protein back to animals who eat grass.
That hasn't happened in NA since 97. They also had more than one infected cow and plenty of people dying from CJD
This was one sickly cow much like the one up here of which was most likely a natural occurance of about 1 in 13 million
Your beef is safe support the industry like Canada did!!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Well... aren't I glad I didn't switch to Atkins

Nuts, beans, chicken, fish (watch the mercury and PCB), and nonfat dairy are excellent sources of low carb, high protein meals . . . in fact, before Dr.A went to the great big buffet in the sky he amended his original diet to de-emphasize beef/pork-sourced protein.