Info Macrium Reflect 8 Released

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Their server must be backed-up with requests. I tried to download the free version (which apparently requires an e-mail), and I never got the e-mail, within 5-10 minutes. Bummer. (Maybe I typoed? I didn't think so.)

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Their server must be backed-up with requests. I tried to download the free version (which apparently requires an e-mail), and I never got the e-mail, within 5-10 minutes. Bummer. (Maybe I typoed? I didn't think so.)

Maybe try it again later or with a different email account? They could be overwhelmed, but I was able to buy the license with no issue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, the e-mails finally came in, they must have just been delayed from the number of users buying Macrium Reflect 8.

BTW, requesting the "Free" version, still ended up with 7. So there's no free version of 8 yet, although there was a banner in the free version to click on to buy 8.

Reactions: balloonshark

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah they are probably in no rush to release that. Maybe after v 8 stabilizes a bit more and they get most of the initial rush of purchasers.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Macrium waits a while to release the free version. Its a good thing because bugs are still being squashed.

Be patient. This latest edition has had lots of bugs, many associated with the new "dark" mode. Even if you turn that craptrap off, those new bugs introduced would still be present. Dark is what people want, so bear with it.

Just be patient, till the dust settles. Dark black screen with very dark blue text is what old folks want these days :)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
This is a really good release. I've been testing it for a bit now. Key features:

1. VirtualBox for emergency booting is a nice addition. I've used the Hyper-V version in the past & it's quite good. Very useful for when a server crashes or when you need to get specific types of data from an old backup that can only be had from a running OS. It's easy enough to install Hyper-V on Windows 10 FWIW.

2. The automatic partitioning resizing is a nice feature. It can both shrink & fill partitions. Very handy when cloning to drives of different physical sizes & not having to futz with doing it manually.

1622556046877.png

3. It can backup flash cards now. SUPER nice for photo & video people, especially if you want a full clone of a wedding shoot or something critical.

4. Intra-daily backups, which is basically super-fast backups on a very regular basis. The default template is for 15 minutes. This is a feature I've been wanting for a long time & have just been doing manually. Usually I'd pair Macrium with a CDP backup program like Genie9 so that I'd have both a full image backup plus could spot-grab files for recovery (sometimes along with a network trashcan app for stuff like file servers, for convenience). But some servers need better full backups. More info:

5. Site Manager 8 is also now available. This lets you put an agent on multiple machines, so you can backup servers, desktops, etc., plus the Active Directory integration is better now. I can build a 100TB Synology server (with 2-drive failover using SHR-2, plus spare physical drives!) for under $10k these days, so throwing Site Manager in a server VM to backup an entire site is epic! More info:

They've also made the recovery environment universal now, which is brilliant. It can run off ISO (ex. PXE boot), DVD (physical), or USB. They also have their own ISO to USB tool now, for convenience.

1622557637438.png

There are a lot of great tools out there, from Acronis to StorageCraft, but I still like Macrium the best. This new feature update addresses a lot of wishlist items I had. Price is good, features are good, reliable is good, very solid product!

Reactions: Chiefcrowe

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Yeah the new version is great, so I got a full Home license for it. Also has Macrium Image Guardian which doesn't let my Norton 360 even scan the images that I have saved. Also has a cool dark mode version which I like and you can choose the color of the trim in and around the app. So far, so good.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah the new version is great, so I got a full Home license for it. Also has Macrium Image Guardian which doesn't let my Norton 360 even scan the images that I have saved. Also has a cool dark mode version which I like and you can choose the color of the trim in and around the app. So far, so good.

Image Guardian alone is worth the asking price (believe in launched in v7). Really great given all of the Crytolocker nonsense going on these days. Given how many big companies have been hacked lately, it blows my mind that they won't spend $300 on a Server license to protect themselves. Then again, I also understand the social dynamics of corporate spending on IT infrastructure...you'd be amazed at how many big corporations (including publicly-traded companies) operate on a complete house of cards. It ends up costing them a pretty penny after the hack:

Reactions: GrumpyMan