Machines in WV switching Obama votes to McCain

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
And so it begins

Some early W.Va. voters angry over switched votes
Jackson County touch-screens switched votes, 3 residents say
At least three early voters in Jackson County had a hard time voting for candidates they want to win.
By Paul J. Nyden
Staff writer

At least three early voters in Jackson County had a hard time voting for candidates they want to win.

Virginia Matheney and Calvin Thomas said touch-screen machines in the county clerk's office in Ripley kept switching their votes from Democratic to Republican candidates.

"When I touched the screen for Barack Obama, the check mark moved from his box to the box indicating a vote for John McCain," said Matheney, who lives in Kenna.

When she reported the problem, she said, the poll worker in charge "responded that everything was all right. It was just that the screen was sensitive and I was touching the screen too hard. She instructed me to use only my fingernail."

Even after she began using her fingernail, Matheney said, the problem persisted.

When she tried to vote for candidates running for two open seats on the Supreme Court, the electronic machine canceled her second vote twice.

On her third try, Matheney managed to cast votes for both Menis Ketchum and Margaret Workman, Democratic candidates for the two open seats.

Calvin Thomas, 81, who retired from Kaiser Aluminum in Ravenswood in 1983 and now lives in Ripley, experienced the same problem.

"When I pushed Obama, it jumped to McCain. When I went down to governor's office and punched [Gov. Joe] Manchin, it went to the other dude. When I went to Karen Facemyer [the incumbent Republican state senator], I pushed the Democrat, but it jumped again.

"The rest of them were OK, but the machine sent my votes for those top three offices from the Democrat to the Republican," Thomas said.

"When I hollered about that, the girl who worked there said, 'Push it again.' I pushed Obama again and it stayed there. Then, the machine did the same thing for other candidates.

"Why didn't she [the polling clerk] tell me before I even used the machine that might happen? And how many people, especially my age, didn't notice that?

"Jackson County is a Republican county. I am a registered Republican, but I have been voting Democrat since the 1990s."

Thomas, who brought his daughter with him to the polls, said she had the same problem.

"After I finished, my daughter voted. When she pushed Obama, it went to McCain. It happened to her the same way it happened to me. If the poll worker knew that, why didn't she tell me before I even pushed the button?"

Deputy Secretary of State Sarah Bailey said, "When we received a call about this, we immediately called the county and told them to recalibrate the machines to make sure the finger-touch [area] lines up with the ballot.

"Sometimes machines can become miscalibrated when they are moved from storage facilities to early voting areas," Bailey said Friday. "We get a couple of calls about this each election year."

Most voting machines in most counties do work properly, Bailey added.

Jackson County Clerk Jeff Waybright said, "After we got a call from the Secretary of State's Office, we recalibrated the machine. We had already voted over 400 people with no problems."

Voting problems occur when voters touch the screen, Waybright said, but do not put their fingers inside boxes for their candidates.

Waybright blamed the problem on voters.

"People make mistakes more than the machines," he said, "but I went in yesterday and recalibrated the machines. We are doing everything we can not to disenfranchise anybody."

Matheney remains concerned.

"Leaving the polling place," she said, "I wondered how many voters might not have noticed that their vote was switched on the machine."

Reach Paul J. Nyden at pjny...@wvgazette.com or 348-5164.

It amazes me they can't dummyproof a touchscreen machine for old people. How the hell can a vote be switched from one candidate to the other if they mispressed it? Ridiculous.

Is WV going to be the new FL of this election?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
"When I touched the screen for Barack Obama, the check mark moved from his box to the box indicating a vote for John McCain," said Matheney, who lives in Kenna.

Sounds like the screen comes up already showing a vote for Obama?

Fern

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

Sounds like the screen comes up already showing a vote for Obama?

Fern
No, it's indicating that after the screen is touched for Obama a checkmark appears and consequently jumps to McCain's box.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
touchscreens and electronic voting need to be tossed in the trash.
No, it's a sound theory. Everybody and I do mean down to the janitor, who works for the companies who keep fvcking this very simple technology up need to be sent to a gulag in North Korea. How they can continue to mess this up when we have had ATMs work for decades, which are far more complex, is beyond me.

kamiller42

Sep 2, 2004

Because paper is much more reliable.

Reading the accounts of the people in this story, sounds like user error. Democrat voters were mentally challenged when voting with a butterfly ballot their party designed. I see they are still challenged. Sounds like a group of Homer Simpsons.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
No, it's a sound theory. Everybody and I do mean down to the janitor, who works for the companies who keep fvcking this very simple technology up need to be sent to a gulag in North Korea. How they can continue to mess this up when we have had ATMs work for decades, which are far more complex, is beyond me.

And the Wells Fargo ATM I used last night was a Diebold .......

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: kamiller42

Reading the accounts of the people in this story, sounds like user error. Democrat voters were mentally challenged when voting with a butterfly ballot their party designed. I see they are still challenged. Sounds like a group of Homer Simpsons.

I don't know how you get that out of "I hit the Obama selection and it jumped to McCain" ..... but OK????

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Yeah it is amazing how this appears to only affect the democrats. The last 3 election cycles the tards who cant figure out how to vote seem to fall inline with the democrat party. It really brings a warm feeling to my heart to know this.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
They knew West Virginia was probably (but not necessarily) safe for McCain, had electronic voting, and had early voting, so it's a perfect practice ground for the massive voter fraud that will take place on November 4th. We're talking millions of switched votes. If that happens, the people responsible should be executed for treason, but they won't be... they'll be in power.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87

Yeah it is amazing how this appears to only affect the democrats. The last 3 election cycles the tards who cant figure out how to vote seem to fall inline with the democrat party. It really brings a warm feeling to my heart to know this.
So do the republicans save all their tardiness for their VP nominee?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb

So do the republicans save all their tardiness for their VP nominee?

If that is the only label tard can be applied to Ill take it. Hell of a lot better than claiming the crown when it comes to intelligence then failing at figuring out such complicated things as voting.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
They knew West Virginia was probably (but not necessarily) safe for McCain, had electronic voting, and had early voting, so it's a perfect practice ground for the massive voter fraud that will take place on November 4th. We're talking millions of switched votes. If that happens, the people responsible should be executed for treason, but they won't be... they'll be in power.

yup, perfect place to test out the system

Nov 29, 2006
Im assuming Diebold is in bed with the republicans since they dont want to have to pay higher taxes as a company ;)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

No, because paper leaves a trail.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

No, because paper leaves a trail.

So democrats can't figure out how to use a computer or paper?

;)

kamiller42

Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Pens1566

I don't know how you get that out of "I hit the Obama selection and it jumped to McCain" ..... but OK????

They "fat finger" their vote, and it's the machine's fault. Maybe the software engineers were republicans and libertarians trying to protect their country. Sheesh.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Yeah it is amazing how this appears to only affect the democrats.

Right! Thanks for the bullshit. This isn't the first time Election Systems & Software, the company that made West Virginia's voting machines, has FUBAR'd an election. They're working hard to become Diebold Jr.

Election Systems & Software

Chuck Hagel was CEO of the company until shortly before his election in November 1996 to the United States Senate from Nebraska. The election was conducted almost exclusively on equipment provided by his former company.[citation needed]

ES&S was one of the top four providers of voting companies used in the November 2004 election; the other three were Diebold Election Systems (now Premier Election Solutions), Sequoia Voting Systems and Hart InterCivic.

The U.S. primary elections of March 2006 revealed an overextension of ES&S's resources when multiple counties across the nation found poor quality control (faulty memory cards), reported poor service, and problems with election preparation.[citation needed] Following harsh criticism of Diebold, ES&S has become the second major electronic voting vendor (after Diebold) to see lawsuits and criminal charges rising out of their failure to provide adequate service under their contracts.[citation needed]

After the November 2006 elections, Indiana launched an inquiry into poor service by the company, settling when it agreed to pay $750,000. West Virginia filed a formal complaint against the company with federal officials. Arkansas put together a panel to investigate. The company denied any major trouble with its machines, attributing problems to errors made by poll workers.

On August 3, 2007, California Secretary of state Debra Bowen withdrew approval of the ES&S InkaVote Plus optical scan voting system after a "top-to-bottom review" of the voting machines certified for use in California in March 2007.

So go ahead. Blame it on the voters. Their job was to show up and vote. ES&S's job was to provide working systems, and they're the ones with a history of failure. :thumbsdown:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
people this stupid shouldn't be voting anyways. more votes for mccain, the better!

that is un-american.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
people this stupid shouldn't be voting anyways. more votes for mccain, the better!

that is un-american.

un-American is the new "Real American", I thought you got the memo.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
South Carolina uses ES&S iVotronics... do I need even to bother going to the poll?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Electronic voting should be trashed. Optical is the way to go.
I thought electronic was pretty much dead...?

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
And so it begins

Some early W.Va. voters angry over switched votes
Jackson County touch-screens switched votes, 3 residents say
By Paul J. Nyden
Staff writer

Virginia Matheney and Calvin Thomas said touch-screen machines in the county clerk's office in Ripley kept switching their votes from Democratic to Republican candidates.

When she reported the problem, she said, the poll worker in charge "responded that everything was all right. It was just that the screen was sensitive and I was touching the screen too hard. She instructed me to use only my fingernail."

Even after she began using her fingernail, Matheney said, the problem persisted.

When she tried to vote for candidates running for two open seats on the Supreme Court, the electronic machine canceled her second vote twice.

On her third try, Matheney managed to cast votes for both Menis Ketchum and Margaret Workman, Democratic candidates for the two open seats.

Calvin Thomas, 81, who retired from Kaiser Aluminum in Ravenswood in 1983 and now lives in Ripley, experienced the same problem.

"When I pushed Obama, it jumped to McCain. When I went down to governor's office and punched [Gov. Joe] Manchin, it went to the other dude. When I went to Karen Facemyer [the incumbent Republican state senator], I pushed the Democrat, but it jumped again.

"The rest of them were OK, but the machine sent my votes for those top three offices from the Democrat to the Republican," Thomas said.

"When I hollered about that, the girl who worked there said, 'Push it again.' I pushed Obama again and it stayed there. Then, the machine did the same thing for other candidates.

"Why didn't she [the polling clerk] tell me before I even used the machine that might happen? And how many people, especially my age, didn't notice that?

"Jackson County is a Republican county. I am a registered Republican, but I have been voting Democrat since the 1990s."

Thomas, who brought his daughter with him to the polls, said she had the same problem.

"After I finished, my daughter voted. When she pushed Obama, it went to McCain. It happened to her the same way it happened to me. If the poll worker knew that, why didn't she tell me before I even pushed the button?"

Deputy Secretary of State Sarah Bailey said, "When we received a call about this, we immediately called the county and told them to recalibrate the machines to make sure the finger-touch [area] lines up with the ballot.

"Sometimes machines can become miscalibrated when they are moved from storage facilities to early voting areas," Bailey said Friday. "We get a couple of calls about this each election year."

Most voting machines in most counties do work properly, Bailey added.

Jackson County Clerk Jeff Waybright said, "After we got a call from the Secretary of State's Office, we recalibrated the machine. We had already voted over 400 people with no problems."

Voting problems occur when voters touch the screen, Waybright said, but do not put their fingers inside boxes for their candidates.

Waybright blamed the problem on voters.

"People make mistakes more than the machines," he said, "but I went in yesterday and recalibrated the machines. We are doing everything we can not to disenfranchise anybody."

Matheney remains concerned.

"Leaving the polling place," she said, "I wondered how many voters might not have noticed that their vote was switched on the machine."

Reach Paul J. Nyden at pjny...@wvgazette.com or 348-5164.

It amazes me they can't dummyproof a touchscreen machine for old people. How the hell can a vote be switched from one candidate to the other if they mispressed it? Ridiculous.

Is WV going to be the new FL of this election?

They weren't smart enough to show it voting for Obama but actually voting for McCain?

Doesn't surprise me in the least, McCain supporters aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.