Question Machine has trouble playing full screen content on 4k (even if the content is 1k) need more powerful GPU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recently upgraded to 4k. Noticed that with full screen video (Youtube but even just video files), especially when there is "B roll" type movement, it struggles quite a lot, and I get tearing on top and bottom. How would I go about solving this, would a faster GPU be it or is it more a software thing? I have a Radeon HD 7870. OS is Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. Monitor has Freesync enabled.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well the whole technology world sucks. Vendors promised you something, then give it up down the road, happens everywhere, all the time.

==

If you have Intel CPU then according the the wiki, Intel has built-in VP9 and HVEC engine since 7th gen processors. for some processors, like Kabe Lake & Gemini Lake.

The Kaby Lake line of processors was introduced in August 2016. New features: speed increases, support for 4K UHD "premium" (DRM encoded) streaming services, media engine with full hardware acceleration of 8- and 10-bit HEVC and VP9 decode

Kaby Lake Refresh / Amber Lake / Coffee Lake / Whiskey Lake / Comet Lake
The Kaby Lake line of processors was introduced in October 2017. New Features: HDCP 2.2 support (so HEVC & VP9 should also be supported?)

Gemini Lake
New Features
: HDMI 2.0 support, VP9 10-bit Profile2 hardware decoder

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It could be related to patents. Google developed VP9 with the intent that it be un-encumbered by patents, but some time ago, I read that some group had assembled a collection of patents, and was attempting to "license" VP9's "patent rights" to companies like Google (the developer, AFAIK), and others that used or supported VP9.

AMD may have gotten cold feet, or lacking an indemnification agreement from the developer (Google), they may have pulled the support code, lest they have to litigate a patent lawsuit, in the middle of their Ryzen success.

Reactions: mxnerd

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I guess another reason patent and all that BS can be a real problem and why we can't have nice things.

But yeah seems it's only 60FPS content that's being affected anyway, the rest seems to play fine. It's too bad it's not smart enough to just skip every 2nd frame and play 60FPS as 30FPS though. Instead it does like 1 frame every 10 seconds.

Multimedia playback is not the primary use of this machine, so I'll probably just write this off as something I will need to keep in mind for when I do decide to do a build that is more multimedia centric such as a HTPC. I'll probably just need to concentrate on the fastest CPU I can find. Not sure if multimedia playback is something that uses multiple cores or not, but if it does, a threadripper would probably be the best bet.

The RPI4 supposedly can play 4k content, so I am curious to try that too, but considering a full blown machine has trouble I'm not sure how a RPI can do it. Unless they have the licensing stuff sorted out or something with the OS that is made for it and actually have the proper decoder.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited: