Machine guns, sawed off shotguns, and silencers, oh my!

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Text

TOPEKA - Individuals could own machine guns, other fully automatic firearms, sawed-off shotguns and silencers under a bill the House approved Friday.

Supporters said wealthy collectors are the only people who are likely to take advantage of such a change, because such weapons are expensive. They said machine guns cost between $20,000 and $80,000 each.

The House vote was 105-18.
++++++++++++

I predict mass murders, school shootings, execution style killings, rapings at gunpoint, an increase of gas station robberies and other such horrors. Let's call this bill what it really is - an assault on everyone's safety. We need to lock down all kansas schools NOW.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I don't see any problem with it. Criminals are much more likely to use a regular easy to carry and conceal pistol than a huge M60 or AK-47. Making the automatics etc legal won't change a thing, other than allowing the collectors to collect.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: daveymark
Text

TOPEKA - Individuals could own machine guns, other fully automatic firearms, sawed-off shotguns and silencers under a bill the House approved Friday.

Supporters said wealthy collectors are the only people who are likely to take advantage of such a change, because such weapons are expensive. They said machine guns cost between $20,000 and $80,000 each.

++++++++++++

I predict mass murders, execution style killings, rapings at gunpoint, an increase of gas station robberies and other such horrors. Let's call this bill what it really is - an assault on everyone's safety. We need to lock down all kansas schools NOW.

While you predict that, I'll predict private corporations start their own "security" with the use of these expensive weapons. Equally as possible and maybe, equally as stupid.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Uh, most states including the liberal state of Maryland have allowed people to own these. What took Kansas so long?

It is likely you will need a $200 federal stamp, plus lengthy background check something criminals are unlikely to wait for.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Text

++++++++++++

I predict mass murders, school shootings, execution style killings, rapings at gunpoint, an increase of gas station robberies and other such horrors. Let's call this bill what it really is - an assault on everyone's safety. We need to lock down all kansas schools NOW.

AFAIK, many states allow machine guns and silencers (not sure about sawed off shotgun, I thought there was a federal prohibition on them?).

But even if your state allows for the purchase of machine guns (fully auto) and silencers, you still have to get a rather expensive federal permit/license.

I don't see it as a big deal.

Fern

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Text

++++++++++++

I predict mass murders, execution style killings, rapings at gunpoint, an increase of gas station robberies and other such horrors. Let's call this bill what it really is - an assault on everyone's safety. We need to lock down all kansas schools NOW.

While you predict that, I'll predict private corporations start their own "security" with the use of these expensive weapons. Equally as possible and maybe, equally as stupid.

Such laws only apply to peasants. Those blessed by the lords, I mean Congress, such as private contractors don't have to abide by the NFA.

All this did was make Kansas like the other 40 some states that already allow NFA weapons. Doesn't matter though, unless you've got tens of thousands to spend. Only the rich and powerful are able to own such weapons. Not the commoners they despise.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

AFAIK, many states allow machine guns and silencers (not sure about sawed off shotgun, I thought there was a federal prohibition on them?).

But even if your state allows for the purchase of machine guns (fully auto) and silencers, you still have to get a rather expensive federal permit/license.

I don't see it as a big deal.

Fern

Sawed-off shotgun = short barreled shotgun, same as a short barreled rifle by NFA rules.

You don't need a permit or license, just the same sort of background check you get buying any other gun. They just have to be done through a different type of dealer.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
^ Is there not a federal restriction on minimum barrel length?

TIA

Fern

Edit: Yeah, found it. 18", any shorter and you need a fed permit like for silencers. (1934 National Firearms Act)

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
^ Is there not a federal restriction on minimum barrel length?

TIA

Fern

18" on shotguns, 16" on rifles, and a minimum over-all length (26" on rifles, forgot shotguns).

You can have them, but they must be registered in the NFA. So not completely illegal.

I was just saying in the semantics, a sawed-off shotgun is technically a short-barreled shotgun.

Unless it came from the factory without a buttstock (ie: Just a pistol grip) and then it is considered an AOW or "all other weapon".

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Text

++++++++++++

Such laws only apply to peasants. Those blessed by the lords, I mean Congress, such as private contractors don't have to abide by the NFA.

All this did was make Kansas like the other 40 some states that already allow NFA weapons. Doesn't matter though, unless you've got tens of thousands to spend. Only the rich and powerful are able to own such weapons. Not the commoners they despise.

Yup. As long as federal law prohibits new machine guns from being registered, the prices will continue to spiral upwards. Paying $20,000 for a $700 gun is ridiculous.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

May 16, 2000
Text

++++++++++++

It's already allowed in a number of states, with no negative repercussions. Hardly any crime is ever committed with these weapons, despite their availability. Nice ignorant fear-mongering though.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
$20K to $80K for a machine gun. I call BS.

When you artificially restrict the supply by not allowing new weapons to be registered, but allow existing (pre-1986) weapons to be transfered between people, then the prices sky-rocket. There's really no limit to how high prices will go, as machine guns age, and break, demand will continue to rise (as it has for the last 20 years) and supply will be the same (barring some court striking down the Hughes Amendment.)

But politicians are able to bring new machine guns into the registry. It's quite profitable for a struggling campaign to pay $700 for an M-16, then turn around and sell it on the restricted transferable machine gun market for $13,000+.

And none of this has one bit of impact on people obtaining illegal machine guns (they're found all the time.) Just like we can't stop drugs from illegally entering the country (or being made) we can't stop machine guns. Except customs dogs don't smell guns.

The net result is that we lose some of our freedom, GDP takes a hit and a couple of people who know nothing about firearms feel safer because we don't have "assault style bullet hoses" available at local gun stores.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
$20K to $80K for a machine gun. I call BS.

My buddy is a dealer in them. The prices can get outrageous as well as the price of parts.

Speaking of which, KY is one of the few states that is so lax on machine guns. One of the biggest shoots/shows is coming up in a week.

http://www.machinegunshoot.com/shootinfo.htm

"The Machine Gun Shoot is a Semi Annual Event held in April and October. The participants are machine gun dealers, collectors and enthusiast from all over the country . The Machine Gun Shoot itself consist of four rounds of firing at a wide variety of appliances, vehicles, pyramids of tires, and barrels of fuel with pyrotechnic charges attached. The pyrotechnic charges are then painted orange for the shooter to see. The charges are set off by the impact of the bullets. Creating large and small mushroom clouds and fire balls from hell!! Their objective is to destroy everything down range. A wide variety of rare and exotic weaponry will be on display for all to see. Such as quad 50's, mini guns, MG 42's, water cooled browning AK 47's and many others too numerous to mention."

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
Originally posted by: woodie1
More states need to follow Kansas' lead.

Let's be clear. In this instance, yes. In most other instances, not so much.

I think most states already HAVE followed Kansas' lead, more or less.

And while I don't have a problem with the bill, I think focusing issues like this is pretty silly. It's not like Kansas is perfect except for the gun laws, maybe they should spend less time passing feel good gun laws (feel good to the gun enthusiasts, obviously) that only a small fraction of the population even cares about and more time not being such a backwards dump.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I didn't know they were so expensive because of imposed limits. I thought an AK47 is a few hundred bucks tops seeing how they are so prevalent in destitute parts of the world.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

;)

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I didn't know they were so expensive because of imposed limits. I thought an AK47 is a few hundred bucks tops seeing how they are so prevalent in destitute parts of the world.

the markup on these weapons in this country is ridiculous...