Macbook Pro 15" Retina Worth It?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
Let me just say something, its truly amazing when you literally open every Application on your MacBook Pro Retina, watch the temps go up to around 105 celsius and the fans at about 4000 RPMs and you can't even hear it. I just can't believe the power in this notebook. I gave it about 10 seconds and then the temps were at about 80 celsius when the fans cooled it down. Granted I have the 2.7 16GB Ram and 512 SSD but this notebook is by far the best I have ever owned.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Let me just say something, its truly amazing when you literally open every Application on your MacBook Pro Retina, watch the temps go up to around 105 celsius and the fans at about 4000 RPMs and you can't even hear it. I just can't believe the power in this notebook. I gave it about 10 seconds and then the temps were at about 80 celsius when the fans cooled it down. Granted I have the 2.7 16GB Ram and 512 SSD but this notebook is by far the best I have ever owned.

RAM capacity doesn't affect temperature that drastically, and the SSD should cool things down compare to a HDD. Those are actually reasons why it should not run hot.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
RAM capacity doesn't affect temperature that drastically, and the SSD should cool things down compare to a HDD. Those are actually reasons why it should not run hot.

Those were reasons that supported his statement of it being the best laptop he has ever owned. He was pointing out that those are HUGE factors in that classification.

His remark about temperatures had more to do with how quiet the cooling system is.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Those were reasons that supported his statement of it being the best laptop he has ever owned. He was pointing out that those are HUGE factors in that classification.

His remark about temperatures had more to do with how quiet the cooling system is.

Whoops, I sort of read it backwards. Granted, it's still a bit hot... 105 C is nuts high, and even at 80 C it's high. I had an i7 sandy in my M14x and it topped out at 80C under stress.

I think they traded quietness for temperature performance. My old M14x was a vacuum cleaner.

Either way, the Retina screens are gorgeous. It's odd they only stuck a 650M in a $3000 15" with a retina, though.

Last edited:

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Whoops, I sort of read it backwards. Granted, it's still a bit hot... 105 C is nuts high, and even at 80 C it's high. I had an i7 sandy in my M14x and it topped out at 80C under stress.

I think they traded quietness for temperature performance. My old M14x was a vacuum cleaner.

Either way, the Retina screens are gorgeous. It's odd they only stuck a 650M in a $3000 15" with a retina, though.

Same reason the CPU ramps all the way up to 105C, a compromise in the thermal solution. If they made the machine thicker and heavier, and not even significantly so, they could have crammed in a more competent cooling solution, and better graphics.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

Uhh, I'm pretty sure the thermal trip for CPU shutdown is either 95 or 100C.

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
Uhh, I'm pretty sure the thermal trip for CPU shutdown is either 95 or 100C.

I'm preety sure the CPU will shut down at 105 Celsius according to Intel. That's the Max Temp you can reach before you get warnings and a shutdown.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Same reason the CPU ramps all the way up to 105C, a compromise in the thermal solution. If they made the machine thicker and heavier, and not even significantly so, they could have crammed in a more competent cooling solution, and better graphics.

The question is, which Nvidia GPU? My retina's 650M is too close to the performance my brothers Asus G75VW's GTX660M courtesy of the restrictive 128-bit memory interface. The next real upgrade for the overclocked 650M in the current retina is the 192-bit GTX670M which has a 75watt TDP which is a huge increase over the 45watt 650M. You're going to have to easily add a significant amount of cooling hardware to the retina to bleed off that extra heat. We're going to have to wait for the next TSMC node shrink before we'll see a significant boost to the discrete GPU on the retina. This year's Haswell retina will only have a big integrated GPU boost.

jihe

Nov 6, 2009

Dude, 80 and 105 degrees are not a good thing

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
What kind of temperature would you be expecting from any laptop is you opened up 47 Applications at once? 50...? I stated that it hit as high as 105 for a very brief second before the fans kicked at around 4k speeds and cooled the machine right down to 80. Keep in mind this loaded, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, along with Final Cut Pro, Logic, and various other Applications. I firmly believe this is exceptional temperatures considering the 2011 macs were basically space heaters at idle and didn't improve that much in 2012. Clearly you don't know MacBooks that well or the Retina Mac to be quite honest.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008

On laptops, that's everyday occurrence. Laptop chips are generally more heat-resistant than desktop chips.

----

In any case, the latest 10.8.3 update has been battle-tested and proven to be supremely stable on my Retina-equipped workhorse.

I was contemplating an update, knowing my RAM use is blowing out of proportions, but now I think I'd just stick with it and avoid the hassle of playing screen lottery with the next batch. I love this screen so much to let it go.

And I think the extra heat is just due to the faster CPU (2.7GHz). My base model (2.3GHz) barely breaks 60C on average. But well, I guess it's a good tradeoff for high performance.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I can get the top end model of the Retina lightly used off a friend for $2400. Is it worth picking up this deal or should I continue waiting for Haswell?

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I can get the top end model of the Retina lightly used off a friend for $2400. Is it worth picking up this deal or should I continue waiting for Haswell?

Definitely wait for Haswell on mobile.

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012

I actually got lucky and bought mine for 2,200 brand new 2.7 16RAM 512 SSD of ebay. I can tell you that it performs wonderful man. Haswell will be an upgrade but not that significant in the 15 in. You will really see a increase in the integrated GPU but processor speed not that much. The 13in will see the biggest impact because it has no discrete GPU. Haswell will come out July/August for the MacBooks so if you can wait until then go for it. If you want or need the machine now, don't hesitate because its a great but since the software is mostly caught up.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Probably going to order my laptop tonight. I wanted to wait until the Haswell refresh, but I really need a new laptop for work so I don't think it's worth the wait.
Edit: I can get a really good deal on the late 2012 model, but people on Newegg don't seem to like the first model too much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100225
Anything to worry about if going with the first generation rMBP?

Last edited:

Syrome

Oct 15, 2012
Probably going to order my laptop tonight. I wanted to wait until the Haswell refresh, but I really need a new laptop for work so I don't think it's worth the wait.
Edit: I can get a really good deal on the late 2012 model, but people on Newegg don't seem to like the first model too much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834100225
Anything to worry about if going with the first generation rMBP?

First generations of anything usually contain issues no matter what product it is. As far as the retina is concerned, watch out for LG vs Samsung screens. I'm sure you have read about the ghosting issues on LG screens so beware of that. Secondly, watch out for the SSD brand. Samsung is far superior than SanDisk even though the updated versions ship SanDisk but of you can score a Samsung SSD go for it over the SanDisk. The firmware on Samsung is much better handles under OSX even though apple just released 10.8.3 which fixed the issue. Do you know what model your going for?

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
First generations of anything usually contain issues no matter what product it is. As far as the retina is concerned, watch out for LG vs Samsung screens. I'm sure you have read about the ghosting issues on LG screens so beware of that. Secondly, watch out for the SSD brand. Samsung is far superior than SanDisk even though the updated versions ship SanDisk but of you can score a Samsung SSD go for it over the SanDisk. The firmware on Samsung is much better handles under OSX even though apple just released 10.8.3 which fixed the issue. Do you know what model your going for?

The model number is: Z0ML3LL/A

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Okay thanks Syrome! I look forward to owning my first Mac in 12 years!
Edit: I officially ordered it and I got two day shipping so I should have it here soon!

Last edited:

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
If you get a screen with image retention, just bring it into Apple and ask them to swap the screen.

I got mine swapped to Samsung, and it's been on and off for 5 months now without any problem.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
If you get a screen with image retention, just bring it into Apple and ask them to swap the screen.

I got mine swapped to Samsung, and it's been on and off for 5 months now without any problem.

I can bring it to an Apple store if that happens?

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
I don't believe there is much image retention on the newer systems, but mine was an original right from the beginning and they replaced the display for me.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
What kind of temperature would you be expecting from any laptop is you opened up 47 Applications at once? 50...? I stated that it hit as high as 105 for a very brief second before the fans kicked at around 4k speeds and cooled the machine right down to 80. Keep in mind this loaded, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3, along with Final Cut Pro, Logic, and various other Applications. I firmly believe this is exceptional temperatures considering the 2011 macs were basically space heaters at idle and didn't improve that much in 2012. Clearly you don't know MacBooks that well or the Retina Mac to be quite honest.

According to Anand's review, the temperatures he saw were pretty low: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/12

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Been using my new retina for a few hours now and I really love it so far. How long does it take to get used to OSX? I haven't used it in a very long time.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Been using my new retina for a few hours now and I really love it so far. How long does it take to get used to OSX? I haven't used it in a very long time.

That's entirely on you. If you haven't used it much before, just understand that not everything is going to be like what you are used to. Accept it, move on. There are aspects of OS X that I miss in Windows, there are aspects of Windows that I miss in OS X.