Mac v. Pc ads come back. Justin Long is on the PC's side this time.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Without the right counterpart playing the Mac, I find it lacking. Good move by Intel to push the narrative that they are still synonymous with PC IMO. Particularly when AMD is giving them all they can handle in the laptop space right now. They are a household name, and playing on the nostalgia factor is a smart move too. As W.C. Fields said - If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I cannot recall the last time an advertisement had any effect on me.
Nothing Apple did ever made an impression, thats for sure. Not even that fucking overhyped tv spot with the chick and the sledgehammer that everyone in the world thinks was brilliant.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I cannot recall the last time an advertisement had any effect on me.
Nothing Apple did ever made an impression, thats for sure. Not even that fucking overhyped tv spot with the chick and the sledgehammer that everyone in the world thinks was brilliant.

On the flip side, the parody of that ad by Epic was kinda cool:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Probably my favorite parody of Apple commercials

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
That no-talent justin dude annoyed me from day 1 when I saw that dumbass commercial way back when.

Reactions: DigDog

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Probably my favorite parody of Apple commercials

file-1251636456-16-kb-450x357-walle-eve-pc-mac-jpg-all-im-a-17976306.png

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Without the right counterpart playing the Mac, I find it lacking. Good move by Intel to push the narrative that they are still synonymous with PC IMO. Particularly when AMD is giving them all they can handle in the laptop space right now. They are a household name, and playing on the nostalgia factor is a smart move too. As W.C. Fields said - If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
Ah, the bitter bad guy divorcee simply can't let it go that they were the baaad guy with shitty modems that led to the divorce in the first place. Oh, and botching the process that they had.

Intel is mighty with money and talent but have this toxic anti-Midas touch to everything except its chips...and now it infected their chips too.

Duh. do-doo-duh-do-do-do-do.

Might seduce the judge type.

(I hate Billie Eilish but I just referenced her song. :()

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Intel is mighty with money and talent but have this toxic anti-Midas touch to everything except its chips...and now it infected their chips too.
I'd say this is more like them coming back in a circle to being complacent like they were during the later P4 days.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'd say this is more like them coming back in a circle to being complacent like they were during the later P4 days.
Self-interest would still have been enough for them to keep pushing for new nodes that work as AMD was never their only concern after the "mobile awakening". But both 10nm and now 7nm have been botched. I get it, some of it may just be physics buy there is some control over the physics. But they lost the mobile market because their stuff just sucked and now Apple will completely divorce them for in-house CPUs even in their pro products.

They are hanging on by a thread. AMD's small size and supply issues means there is still a need for Intel, but their customer base for their chips are eroding on all sides. Windows on ARM has x64 emulation too.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
This "Think Different" Apple commercial is still my favorite all time commercial.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I read about this on Ars, but I haven't seen the commercials themselves yet. I did recently purchase a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini, and it has certainly been an adventure of sorts with them. The biggest hurdle to get over is that there are things that we take for granted in Windows that simply don't exist in OS 11. The vast majority of this is due to one major problem... Apple only supports what they sell. For example, OS 11 has no support for mice with more than three buttons, but that's because Apple mice only have a left, right, and middle button. Essentially, the solution to fixing these glaring omissions is.... download a bunch of third-party software. I even had to (pay for and) download an app just to see my WiFi connection stats.

I recall that one video touches on the lack of touchscreen on Macs, but it's even worse than that. If you hook a touchscreen monitor up to a Mac, it will not work. Of course, this is because the only touch devices that Apple produces are the iDevices. To get touch support on OS X or OS 11, you have to purchase drivers from Touch-Base (over $100) and go through the configuration to ensure that everything supports on-screen keyboards and touch interfaces. I really wanted to replace the NUC that's connected to my Acer touchscreen as part of the kitchen HTPC with the Mac Mini so I could use Air Pods with it, but it's such a hassle that I just haven't had the time to get around to it.

Oh, and even trying to use built-in apps isn't seamless. Have you ever tried to upgrade Xcode through the App Store? Don't. Just don't do it. It's a 6GB+ download, and even with the download portion taking a short time, it can take hours or days to finish the installation. I tried to upgrade the OS on the MBP the other day, and it just kept consistently failing with absolutely no information on why it was failing.

I also found out that Apple doesn't even certify their MFI controllers to work correctly with OS X/11. I have a SteelSeries Nimbus that I got for cheap with an Apple TV, and I figured I'd try it with the Mac Mini... except it doesn't work in games. It connects without an issue and is recognized as a game controller, but it just doesn't do anything. On the other hand, if you hook up an Xbox controller, it works fine.