Mac Notebook Hard Drive...where to buy?

dchakrab

Apr 25, 2001
I just got a great deal on a Mac laptop...i believe it's a 300mhz G3. The thing is, the drive's fried, or so she thinks...if that's the case when i get it, where would i get a new hard drive for a mac laptop?

What would it cost, roughly, for a decently-sized drive?

Surprisingly enough, i can't seem to find one easily online...will a regular notebook hard drive work with the mac, or is the hardware proprietary?

I'm counting on you guys...otherwise i might have to call a Mac store and ask, or take it in to Microcenter and hope they know something about it...

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

jschuk

Jun 29, 2001
I have had drives that came from Macintosh inside of non-MAC PC's without problems. It is a standard drive, just make sure it is formatted correctly for your laptop.

dchakrab

Apr 25, 2001
Hmm, but will it work the other way? A non-mac drive might be too large for a mac notebook...

I'll see if i can make a few calls and find out for sure from someplace...

-Dave.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
This goes back a few years, but anyhow my former roomate was a Mac user. He had to go through four hard drives to find one that worked in his PowerPC 604+ Mac. He tried Seagate, WD, and IBM before finding the ONLY drive that would work in the system was a Quantum. The other drives would be recognized and he could format them, but they would lock up the machine when he tried to copy the contents of his old drive onto them.

I'd poke around on some Macintosh-specific sites and see what info you can find.