Mac newbie

dANt3R

Feb 16, 2001
I'm a Windows guy. Sometimes I work with Linux, but for the most part I just stick with what I know. Now our new CEO wants us to support his Mac (OS 9.1) and no one here has worked with Macs since high school (many, many years ago). So my boss is on his way to pick up an iBook for me to take home, learn, love ... yadda...yadda.

Now for my question. I know that a PowerPC can run Linux (I've been looking at the Yellow Dog site), and I know that you can dual boot too. Yellow Dog tells you how to install the Mac OS on a system already running Linux, but I wanna do the opposite. Can you install Linux on a Mac that is already running OS 9.1 or OS 9.2? Is Yellow Dog the best dist for the PowerPC platform?

Thanks in advance!

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I know this doesn't answer your question but how is running Linux going to help you support your boss' OS9 Mac? I think getting OS X would be a better idea than dual-booting PPCLinux.

I think if you give it a chance, you may find yourself wanting an iBook of your very own ;)

dANt3R

Feb 16, 2001
I have to run 9.1 or 9.2 because that is the same operating system he is running. If I could run X I would. Running Linux doesn't help me support him, but it makes owning an iBook more worthwhile to me. :)

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

you will probably need to re-partition, then re-install the MacOS, then install Linux. That is how I have done it in the past. It is actually quite similar to installing Linux on the PC. First you have to make room for it.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

<< I have to run 9.1 or 9.2 because that is the same operating system he is running. If I could run X I would. Running Linux doesn't help me support him, but it makes owning an iBook more worthwhile to me. :) >>

Why CANT you run OS X.1? I had X running on my ibook with 9.2 when I got it. Dual boot. It does all the work for you.

As far as installing linux, boot from cd, partition the drive, use the first part for OS 9 (shouldnt need too much space here). Then install linux on the rest.