MAC addresses not visible behind wireless bridge

benwood

Feb 15, 2004
I have a XBox 360, Sony S-1100 Bluray player and a WDTV Live Plus all of which only offer wired Ethernet that I wanted to connect to my wired gigabit Ethernet network. But my network wiring doesn't run to the room that the XBox 360, etc are in. So I bought a Engenius ERB300H wireless N bridge in order to connect them to the network. I'm using a DLink DIR-655 router setup as an access point connected to my wired gigabit Ethernet network. I'm running the Mezzmo DLNA media server on one of the PC attached to the wired netowrk. In order to function properly Mezzmo needs to see the MAC address of the DLNA clients. It can see all the MAC addresses of everything attached to the wired network. But it can't see the MAC addresses of anything connected to the wireless bridge.

Instead it can only see the MAC address of the EnGenius ERB300h bridge itself. I sent email to Engenius and they stated the following: "The ERB300H bypasses its own Mac Address and shows the Mac Addresses of the connected devices. It is enable by default and there is no way to disable it." So that seems to rule out problems with the bridge. I've also tried a DIR-601 flashed with DD-WRT setup as an access point and still can't see the MAC addresses of devices connected to the bridge. Anyone know what's wrong?

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It might work more normal if both the Router and the Bridge running the same DD-WRT firmware.

I.e., you should try to use as a Bridge a Wireless Router flashed with DD-WRT and configured as a Client Bridge.

:cool:

JoeMcJoe

May 10, 2011
I use a WRT54G with Shinny Tomato in wireless bridge mode, where this connects to my wireless network as a client.

The MAC addresses are seen by the router, as the router passes reserved IP address out based on the MAC address. But the MAC address of the WRT54G is not listed as being a client, it lists one of the devices' MAC address behind the bridge.

Everything works though.