Question M27QX not displaying 240hz

someonenewnew7

Dec 5, 2022
Hello everyone.
I got my Gigabyte m27qx monitor, and for some reason i cant select 240hz refresh rate. the maximum i can select is 165hz.
im using rtx 3070 and the displayport cable that came with the monitor.
i tried to change it through nvidia control panel, windows settings and the screen osd, but i can only choose 165hz and below.

any ideas?
Thanks

Trefugl

Dec 3, 2013
Do you have 10-bit or 8-bit color selected in the control panel? From a quick search, it sounds like your monitor doesn't support DSC (compression), so displayport 1.4 can't handle 240Hz 10-bit for 1440p. Someone commented that 200Hz still worked for them, or you could try dropping to 8-bit color. If not that, then I'd suspect your cable, though you said it's the one that came with the monitor, so that seems less likely an issue.

Reactions: Leeea

someonenewnew7

Dec 5, 2022
Do you have 10-bit or 8-bit color selected in the control panel? From a quick search, it sounds like your monitor doesn't support DSC (compression), so displayport 1.4 can't handle 240Hz 10-bit for 1440p. Someone commented that 200Hz still worked for them, or you could try dropping to 8-bit color. If not that, then I'd suspect your cable, though you said it's the one that came with the monitor, so that seems less likely an issue.

thanks you for the reply.
i didnt change any setting, i saw in reviews that they reach 240hz.
i will try and check the 10bit.

if in control panel its 8bit, then what else can it be?
as the cable came with the monitor

Trefugl

Dec 3, 2013
thanks you for the reply.
i didnt change any setting, i saw in reviews that they reach 240hz.
i will try and check the 10bit.

if in control panel its 8bit, then what else can it be?
as the cable came with the monitor

I would highly lean towards a setting for 8-bit or some other color setting (chroma subsampling - eg 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 aka RGB) needing to be applied, as it sounds like you're hitting the limit of non-compressed DP1.4a specs. Not sure about manually adding a refresh rate, but that would be worth a try as well. I know with AMD I have done that in the past, but don't currently have an nVidia other than my work laptop to try to dig around for the settings. If it still doesn't work with color settings, let me know and I can do a little more looking around for specifics.

someonenewnew7

Dec 5, 2022
I would highly lean towards a setting for 8-bit or some other color setting (chroma subsampling - eg 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 aka RGB) needing to be applied, as it sounds like you're hitting the limit of non-compressed DP1.4a specs. Not sure about manually adding a refresh rate, but that would be worth a try as well. I know with AMD I have done that in the past, but don't currently have an nVidia other than my work laptop to try to dig around for the settings. If it still doesn't work with color settings, let me know and I can do a little more looking around for specifics.

Hi, I managed to solve it.
there is a settings in the "gaming assist" menu, called "Eagle eye" and when its enabled its limiting the monitor to 165hz.
i disabled it and now i have 240hz :)

apparently i need to disable it, and not turn it off :)

thank you all for your help!

Reactions: Shmee

Trefugl

Dec 3, 2013
Hi, I managed to solve it.
there is a settings in the "gaming assist" menu, called "Eagle eye" and when its enabled its limiting the monitor to 165hz.
i disabled it and now i have 240hz :)

apparently i need to disable it, and not turn it off :)

thank you all for your help!
That's great! It always gets me convoluted/confusing how some monitor settings work. Never would have thought that setting would have been a refresh rate limit in the end.

Reactions: someonenewnew7