m0 versus d1 STEPPING (p4 2.4c) ??

Jul 28, 2003
intel is soon to switch to m0 stepping for 2.4c's entirely, anyone seen any reports as to whether m0 malay chips o/c as well as m0 costa rica etc? or alternatively, if m0 malay chips o/c any better than d1 malay ones?

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DissidentAggressor
intel is soon to switch to m0 stepping for 2.4c's entirely, anyone seen any reports as to whether m0 malay chips o/c as well as m0 costa rica etc? or alternatively, if m0 malay chips o/c any better than d1 malay ones?

malay vs. costa rica is bogus

they are all fab'ed at the same plant just packaged at different places...

malay isn't necessarily better than costa rica or vice versa...

as for m0 vs. d1... i've heard they are about the same but i could be wrong

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Shimmishim

Right ON brutha!!!!:)

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
ok now we just need someone to address the actual stepping issue...does m0 OC as well as d1? i'll be getting one soon and would also like to know...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Sunny129
ok now we just need someone to address the actual stepping issue...does m0 OC as well as d1? i'll be getting one soon and would also like to know...

maybe you will be the first guinea pig...I mean tester!!!!;) Let us know!!!

lchyi

May 1, 2003
Historically speaking, new, more recent steppings seem to do better, I mean why do a negative upgrade? However, this new stepping could very well be just a few minor details and no change to the fabrication itself. Like the other responses said, try it out. That's how the overclocking community finds out about these "miracle chips".

Jul 28, 2003

i doubt its bogus, i ve talked to quite a few people who couldnt get their costa rica p2.4c to o/c nearly as well as malay ones. malay ones DO overclock better, check out how many people got malay p2.4's @overclockers.com DB

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

i doubt its bogus, i ve talked to quite a few people who couldnt get their costa rica p2.4c to o/c nearly as well as malay ones. malay ones DO overclock better, check out how many people got malay p2.4's @overclockers.com DB

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

beleive whatever you want,the facts have been presented to you,if you cant understand then stay in your ignorance.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Budman
Originally posted by: DissidentAggressor intel is soon to switch to m0 stepping for 2.4c's entirely, anyone seen any reports as to whether m0 malay chips o/c as well as m0 costa rica etc? or alternatively, if m0 malay chips o/c any better than d1 malay ones?
malay vs. costa rica is bogus they are all fab'ed at the same plant just packaged at different places... malay isn't necessarily better than costa rica or vice versa... as for m0 vs. d1... i've heard they are about the same but i could be wrong
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. beleive whatever you want,the facts have been presented to you,if you cant understand then stay in your ignorance.

Maybe the Costa Rica plant employees like to play soccer.. *shrug*

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sahakiel
Originally posted by: DissidentAggressor intel is soon to switch to m0 stepping for 2.4c's entirely, anyone seen any reports as to whether m0 malay chips o/c as well as m0 costa rica etc? or alternatively, if m0 malay chips o/c any better than d1 malay ones?
malay vs. costa rica is bogus they are all fab'ed at the same plant just packaged at different places... malay isn't necessarily better than costa rica or vice versa... as for m0 vs. d1... i've heard they are about the same but i could be wrong
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. beleive whatever you want,the facts have been presented to you,if you cant understand then stay in your ignorance.

Maybe the Costa Rica plant employees like to play soccer.. *shrug*

ahhahaha Really, it dont matter since all balls come from the same factory

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
It's only a matter of time before someone submits the conspiracy theory... That we are lying, as to balance sales or something.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut
It's only a matter of time before someone submits the conspiracy theory... That we are lying, as to balance sales or something.

i knew it!!! you liars!!!

:)

um... dissident.. did you not read the article that budman posted?

most people even in other forums will tell you that it doesn't matter where it was packaged.... they are all made at the same plant...

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
some people just cant understand, learning is foreign to them.

once I am proven wrong, I move along..... but lesser minds just cant understand...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001

Well quite a few ppl are majority of all ppl who bought P4 2.4c chips right???? Duh!!!!!!! How stupid does that sound to just cause 4 or 5 ppl or I don't care 30 ppl didn't oc as well as some guy with a Malay is not a scientiifc enough research to disprove what actually Intel technicians are telling you...No silicon is produced at either plant!!! get that through that memory bandwidth challenged brain!!!

---

All opinions are welcome, but opinions are just that, opinions. Whether or not they are informed opinions is another story, but nobody is dying over them so please keep the discussion civil.

Thank you.

AnandTech Moderator

Jul 28, 2003
you truly are an ignoramus here. and an immature kiddie at that. "get that through that memory bandwidth challenged brain" lol, whats with you internet kids lately? try to keep the discussion civil ok, child? at least try to act like an adult here, if you dont normally act like one. now, whether the silicon is produced in states or not has nothing to do with the facts. the FACTS are so that the malaysia made p4c's seem to overclock quite a bit better than their costa rican counterparts, especially when going above 3.5ghz or so. yes the actual silicon is not made at the malaysia etc plant but that does not mean the end result will be exactly the same. the final CPUs are still slightly different. and this "slight" difference just may affect its overclocking capability greatly when you are talking 50%+ overclocks. check the many hardcore overclocking forums or statistics, not some board full of ignorant people who think getting their 2.4c to 3.2 is a "good overclock". it may be decent, but its certainly nowhere near what the hardcore overclockers are getting out of their chips. if you dont believe me thats fine, you can stay in your pathetic ignorance just like some people on here choose to do (its really not that hard, people. just scour some HARDCORE and i mean hardcore overclocking forums or stats and you shall see the light) or you can at least try to learn something. how many people do you know with 2.4c costa rica chips that have gotten 3.6+ out of their CPUs? there is a lot of people who did just that with malaysian chips. and btw, just in case you already forgot what i just told you and want to go back to acting like a stupid immature kid, keep the discussion civilized!

Originally posted by: Duvie

Well quite a few ppl are majority of all ppl who bought P4 2.4c chips right???? Duh!!!!!!! How stupid does that sound to just cause 4 or 5 ppl or I don't care 30 ppl didn't oc as well as some guy with a Malay is not a scientiifc enough research to disprove what actually Intel technicians are telling you...No silicon is produced at either plant!!! get that through that memory bandwidth challenged brain!!!

---

All opinions are welcome, but opinions are just that, opinions. Whether or not they are informed opinions is another story, but nobody is dying over them so please keep the discussion civil.

Thank you.

AnandTech Moderator

Jul 28, 2003
some people just cant understand, learning is foreign to them.

once I am proven wrong, I move along..... but lesser minds just cant understand...

lol @"but lesser minds just cant understand"

buddy, FYI you sound like an idiot. typical elitist "know it all" prick attitude, yes, i have seen the likes of you before. you must declare your "superiority" which you believe you undoubtedly possess to each and everyone eh? i bet you dont even have any friends in real life. well i sure hope that made you feel better kiddoe! there, there. whatever it takes to make the intellectually challenged "geniouses" among us to feel better about themselves. i ll be damned, you kids are priceless.. got me laughing hard there. you think you know everything while in reality you next to know nothing. but thats ok, at some point in real life, life will teach you a lesson. all i can say is grow up.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999

The guys here are being a bit hard on you... But they are correct. Check out the FAQ that budman linked above. If you have more questions, feel free to post them (or pm/ICQ/MSN/AIM me) and I'd be happy to answer them. :)

Jul 28, 2003

The guys here are being a bit hard on you... But they are correct. Check out the FAQ that budman linked above. If you have more questions, feel free to post them (or pm/ICQ/MSN/AIM me) and I'd be happy to answer them. :)

:)) sadly, thats what one has to expect from all 'em immature children on here ;-) cant have it any other way or so it seems! they should just make all the tech forums age restricted and let the kiddies duke it out in the sandbox. but anyway, how would you then explain the fact that so many people have been able to get their malaysia 2.4c's to 3.6 and above, while costa rica ones did not seem to do quite as well? that goes in direct contradiction to that anandtech article (and yes i have seen it before long time ago) - while it does seem to make sense that is not what the real numbers are showing? i have seen quite a bit of stats and talked to quite a few people with 2.4c chips, are you saying the stats are totally wrong? then how come so few people were able to get their costa rica chips as high as malaysia CPUs? :)

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

:)) sadly, thats what one has to expect from all 'em immature children on here ;-) cant have it any other way or so it seems! they should just make all the tech forums age restricted and let the kiddies duke it out in the sandbox. but anyway, how would you then explain the fact that so many people have been able to get their malaysia 2.4c's to 3.6 and above, while costa rica ones did not seem to do quite as well? that goes in direct contradiction to that anandtech article (and yes i have seen it before long time ago) - while it does seem to make sense that is not what the real numbers are showing? i have seen quite a bit of stats and talked to quite a few people with 2.4c chips, are you saying the stats are totally wrong? then how come so few people were able to get their costa rica chips as high as malaysia CPUs? :)

I am 37 years old,how old are you?

Anyways I couldnt care less what you think,you have been presented the fact but you chose to ignore them,you have been told by people who actualy work at intel the costa vs malay is bogus but hey what do they know they only work there.
rolleye.gif

Cooljt1

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2002
just because they work there does not mean they know everything. also, how do you know they aren't lying?

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999

how would you then explain the fact that so many people have been able to get their malaysia 2.4c's to 3.6 and above, while costa rica ones did not seem to do quite as well? that goes in direct contradiction to that anandtech article (and yes i have seen it before long time ago) - while it does seem to make sense that is not what the real numbers are showing? i have seen quite a bit of stats and talked to quite a few people with 2.4c chips, are you saying the stats are totally wrong? then how come so few people were able to get their costa rica chips as high as malaysia CPUs? :)
What "real numbers" and "stats" are you referring to? I have never seen any proof or statistics stating that chips packaged in Malaysia overclock any better than the ones packaged in CR or the Philippines.
just because they work there does not mean they know everything. also, how do you know they aren't lying?
I told you guys that it was only a matter of time.
rolleye.gif

Cooljt1... What would you like to know? ;)

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I am 32 years old but damn tired of someone who comes in asking a question and then refusing to listen to the overwhelming majority of users who many of us are extreme ocers and some even the boys who build these. I have always got the opposite of the "good" chip (Malay, Costa rica) and I have been able to stay up there with some of the best when it came to my 1.6a@2.74ghz and my 2.4b@3.24ghz. Ocing is luck of the draw. With Intels great yields many chips oc well but the truly great ones can be a real hit or miss....Then throw in the fact that even most ocers are often limiting themselves with MOBO, POwer, Ram speed or timings, Heat, Bios settings, or just plain lack of experience.....

You ask a question but then argue. I still say you go buy one and find out for us how good a M0 stepping is. we are just not going to buy into the Costa Rica versus Malay things as the end all factor of a good ocing chip. I think the fab date is more realistic!!!!

Another key thing is many chips stay together in bunches so watch when a good ocing chip comes from a retailer and then buy it from there....Often that means they will have same code and packing plant and many of the best ocers follow this method and could be a good reason why some of these rumors get started....

Want to go a round on "burning" in cpus or ram???? Another favorite urban myth around these parts....

Edit: And oh by the way...If you don't like this then go away!!!