Lurking Newegg Paid Off....New Toy!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Newegg says my gtx480 has been shipped. I sent it overnight so I should have it in my system sometime tomorrow.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
PNY got Fermi chips but XFX did not?

What the fuck has this world come to!

It might have something to do with the fact that there are no Pny Radeon 5xxx parts. XFX Radeons on the other hand...

Why do you think is happening?

If XFX is selling HD5xxx Radeons, does that mean they can be more picky about the wholesale price Nvidia wants for Fermi?

Or does this have to do with warranty concerns (since it is double life-time) vs profit margins on Fermi?

Or both?

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
It might have something to do with the fact that there are no Pny Radeon 5xxx parts. XFX Radeons on the other hand...

Rule of thumb with Nvidia cards: Get evga, xfx, or bfg.

PNY has always given me the impression of being a third tier vendor. The only thing I ever bought from them was a usb thumb drive.

andytarokun

May 9, 2007
So this means add to notify did nothing. I did not get a single email letting me know it is available.
Well hope you enjoy your card and please let us know how long it take to cook a hot dog.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Rule of thumb with Nvidia cards: Get evga, xfx, or bfg.
Well there are only reference design cards on the market, which means those companies only put their name under complete cards. So the only reason to prefer one vendor or another would be the warranty, which is arguably better with some vendors than others - though no idea about PNY..

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Make sure you properly register it with PNY. (warranty coverage) They have some of the sleaziest product support in the business.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Make sure you properly register it with PNY. (warranty coverage) They have some of the sleaziest product support in the business.
how so? I had a 6600 with them and my fan got a little noisy after a couple years and the RMA was very smooth. they immediately answered the phone and sent me RMA info to my email within seconds of hanging up. I received an overclocked 6600 back within 2 weeks of the day I mailed out the card.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Wow, already shipping in the US then, not just pre-orders?

At least one UK site still hasn't sold out of its GTX470 pre-orders, but cards aren't shipping yet anyway.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
how so? I had a 6600 with them and my fan got a little noisy after a couple years and the RMA was very smooth. they immediately answered the phone and sent me RMA info to my email within seconds of hanging up. I received an overclocked 6600 back within 2 weeks of the day I mailed out the card.

1) I had a GF4ti that died after a year and I was SOL on their "lifetime warranty" no replacement was available, EOL product. BS

2) Never received M.I.R of $50 on some flash memory or desktop memory, BS

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Gonna go water on it?

I was planning on it but I've gotta wait until all the blocks come out so I can see what everybody is offering first. I'm very fond of ek however watercool makes some of the sweetest gpu blocks I've seen so I hope they bring something to the table soon.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Welcome to the GTX 480 club
- it is pretty exclusive, so far.

Anyone with less than 300W TDP (and five hundred bucks) need not apply :p
:D

i'm glad to see that they are actually selling for MSRP and they're a bit early*; wasn't availability supposed to begin on the 12th?
--

* Yeah, i know they're six month late

---
Watch me throw it against a wall when the 512SP version that uses 30w less comes out in a month. I will take pictures.
Maybe the Ultra will work with the GTX in SLI; you think?

Last edited:

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I hope fermi availability is gonna magically make a 5890 appear on newegg, or $50 fall off the price of 5870's.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
PNY was big in memory modules, like Kingston or Centon, long before it offered graphics cards. IIRC, PNY's entrance into graphics cards was almost (if not) exclusively the Quadro workstation line.