Lumia 920

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Actually I just tried Slacker. PASS.

It's a mess under WP8. Searching for an artist doesn't let you actually select them and then pull up an album list like it does on iOS.

*sigh*

Another botched port.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's limited (4 stations..about 30 songs per station) but it's definitely a nice perk and is certainly one of the reasons I went for this phone. I'm seriously trying to reduce my monthly bills and the off contract price I paid for the phone was very reasonable ($400). I'm paying about $80 a month for Verizon and will move to Straight talk for $41 a month. With the offline feature it's good enough to make me scrap my slacker subscription and that's another $15 a month savings.

So truth be told I'm going from about $95 a month in costs down to $41. That's $600 a year. $1200 over two. I'm just tired of shoveling money at carriers and some of the reason I'm frustrated. It's "good enough" for what I really need. But it could have been a lot more and I just don't really want to pay a lot more to get something different. Still trying to decide if I box it up and take it back in exchange for a Note 2 for another $250 in costs and the loss of the Nokia apps and potenial improvements of WP8 and the camera in the 920 at some yet to be released date.

What I do know is that after using the 4.5" display on the Lumia my iPhone feels positively puny. Can't imagine what using a a Note 2 for a week would make it feel like.

:D

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
No kidding! I still have my 4s and everytime I pick it up and use an app over WiFi I go wow this phone is small lol

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Battery update. I'm on my 3rd full recharge from less than 20% with a full recharge overnight.

I took my phone off the charger at 7:30AM. It's now 12:00PM. I've made zero phone calls, sent zero text messages, downloaded nothing, played not a single song, and had about 5 minutes of screen time. I'm already down to 58% battery life.

Blue tooth is off. NFC is off. Drive is closed and blocked in the settings.

:(

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Battery update. I'm on my 3rd full recharge from less than 20% with a full recharge overnight.

I took my phone off the charger at 7:30AM. It's now 12:00PM. I've made zero phone calls, sent zero text messages, downloaded nothing, played not a single song, and had about 5 minutes of screen time. I'm already down to 58% battery life.

Blue tooth is off. NFC is off. Drive is closed and blocked in the settings.

:(

my battery has gotten much better the last two days. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 6:30am, at 5pm I was still at 70% left. by the time I went to bed at 10:30 after playing games and downloading I still had 30%. today with a lot more phone activity i'm at 74% at 11:15am after unplugging at 6:30am again.

-Luke

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Mine has been decent so far. Comparable to the One X I had actually a little better. This is while surfing the net, watching youtube (wifi) and downloading music from xbox music. Great phone... windows phone 8 just needs #1 more apps and refined ones at that, #2 notification center, #3 wifi to not sleep when screen is shut off, #4 ability to charge phone while off... except I don't normally turn off my phones and charge them... so *shrug*

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
30 minutes later it's down to 53% with doing nothing more than unlocking and checking the settings screen. That's 1% every six minutes. It's losing 10% an hour. Doing nothing.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
30 minutes later it's down to 53% with doing nothing more than unlocking and checking the settings screen. That's 1% every six minutes. It's losing 10% an hour. Doing nothing.

do a reset on the phone maybe.
Are you backing it out of all apps to close them out?
Have you disabled nokia drive? some people said that's been draining their batts.
nfc, Bluetooth? I turned mine off for now.

Luke

Doublejr

Jul 25, 2004
That is crazy battery use. I have most everything turned off, just check 3 email accounts every 15 mins, using the gvoice app and have been using it lightly to look up stuff on the internet. I am at 69%, last charge was 20 hours ago.

Something is funky there, do you have location on all the time too?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm not going to do a hard reset, several reports of the thing bricking over at WP Central trying to do it. It's going back in the box and back to the store and I will exit this thread. The OS and hardware are simply not ready for release.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I'm not going to do a hard reset, several reports of the thing bricking over at WP Central trying to do it. It's going back in the box and back to the store and I will exit this thread. The OS and hardware are simply not ready for release.

I've been running this phone for the past week and haven't even come close to the issues you've had with it. I wonder if you had a bad unit or something. As far as the apps go, I'm not one of those people who lives off his phone and apps so I doubt I'm going to have any of those issues. I do find myself wanting to do more with the phone, but that's just my wanting to use it more not a lack of ability within the phone.

Of course in your case you should be happy, and I'm not attempting to tell you to keep the phone, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have to be stuck with it.

Oct 19, 2000

Weird, I'm having absolutely zero problems. Guess the OS and hardware actually were ready for release. Peace out.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Seems like vi_edit is just looking for excuses to hate on MS. :p I'm not experiencing these issues as you are. Sure the apps are not as refined as say the ones in iOS... but I'm going to give it half a year and see where we go from then. I only use a handful of apps but Nokia drive is nice and xbox music has been good. MetroTube is good and IE has been good at surfing the web. So far so good. I still have my one x but have yet to go back to it since getting the Lumia.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Hate isn't the right word. Dissapointed or frustrated would be more appropriate. I entered the smart phone world with an iPhone4 on Verizon. So it was a well fleshed out ecosystem with lots of options and most of the bugs were hammered out of the software/hardware by the time I came on board. At the time I bought that device I had no desire to look at Android devices because I felt they were still far to clunky and under developed for the stuff I wanted my device to do.

That's where I think WP8 is. Around that Gingerbread era of Android where it technically works, has some really nice function unique to the OS...but just not really ready for mass consumption. In WP's case it's not about the interface. That's it's trump card. The interface is wonderful. It's all the little stuff that needs to get filled in.

If it works for you fine. Early android devices were great for the people that wanted them too. But my self and whole lot of other people weren't interested in them at the time.

2 years later and Android and the hardware is exponentially improved in quality and user experience.

If WP8 survives the next two years and MS makes a commitment to it then it may be in Androids position that it is now as a legitimate rival to iOS. But it's going to be a very tough sell.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Hate isn't the right word. Dissapointed or frustrated would be more appropriate. I entered the smart phone world with an iPhone4 on Verizon. So it was a well fleshed out ecosystem with lots of options and most of the bugs were hammered out of the software/hardware by the time I came on board. At the time I bought that device I had no desire to look at Android devices because I felt they were still far to clunky and under developed for the stuff I wanted my device to do.

That's where I think WP8 is. Around that Gingerbread era of Android where it technically works, has some really nice function unique to the OS...but just not really ready for mass consumption. In WP's case it's not about the interface. That's it's trump card. The interface is wonderful. It's all the little stuff that needs to get filled in.

If it works for you fine. Early android devices were great for the people that wanted them too. But my self and whole lot of other people weren't interested in them at the time.

2 years later and Android and the hardware is exponentially improved in quality and user experience.

If WP8 survives the next two years and MS makes a commitment to it then it may be in Androids position that it is now as a legitimate rival to iOS. But it's going to be a very tough sell.

I agree with vi-edit. Consumers, currently, have a option for 2 matured & developed systems (iOS and Android) with tons of apps.

Also, many consumers already own devices in one of these systems. MS is trying to woo these consumers by pitching them their revolutionary UI. If they seriously expect me to leave iOS or Android, they should have had all these kinks worked out (or fix them fast).

Its been a week and I am still not able to open all my PDFs on Lumia 920 (a very simple and important feature for email attachments). I have 14 days to return my Lumia and opening PDFs is really important for my work. If that simple app doesnt get fixed by middle next week, my Lumia 920 is going back to AT&T. (and I wonder how many other people like me are out there testing MS phones, but will be returning them within 14 days). I am expecting AT&T to have tons of returns on these next week.

its Nexus 4 (shipping delayed) or iPhone 5 for me next week (if MS doesnt come out with a quick patch)

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

The stuff you guys have been posting reminds me of what Android was like back in the Eclair days, the OS still had some fairly major quirks and app support was hit or miss with a lot of clones of popular iOS apps that were usually passable but not quite as good as the real thing.

By the time Gingerbread was out Android had more refined hardware and good app support, ICS brought the final piece of the puzzle with a modernized and refined UI as well as a consistent design language for all apps.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I hope this thing flops so nokia can create android smartphones with it's awesome camera ;)

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I have 14 days to return my Lumia and opening PDFs is really important for my work. If that simple app doesnt get fixed by middle next week, my Lumia 920 is going back to AT&T. (and I wonder how many other people like me are out there testing MS phones, but will be returning them within 14 days). I am expecting AT&T to have tons of returns on these next week.

its Nexus 4 (shipping delayed) or iPhone 5 for me next week (if MS doesnt come out with a quick patch)

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm into day 2 with my Lumia/WP8 experience and I'm actually wanting to go back to Android. I just got an email saying my Nexus 4 is delayed so I can either hope I get it before the stated "3 weeks" or exchange my Lumia for something like a Note 2 perhaps.

I hope this thing flops so nokia can create android smartphones with it's awesome camera ;)

A Lumia 920 variant with Android... I can only dream. Really the hardware is very nice. I don't think anyone has many complaints about that.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i really really want microsoft to fail hard, or eat "hard rice." It'll definitely be a wake up call for them to release half baked software. Sure Android did it back in the day, but that was years ago. Today's age, you can't accept anything short of amazing to get someone to switch.

And with all these bugs? Please. MS. needs to taste failure first to enjoy the success they "stumbled" onto. Then, they can release REAL products that people want!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
i really really want microsoft to fail hard, or eat "hard rice." It'll definitely be a wake up call for them to release half baked software. Sure Android did it back in the day, but that was years ago. Today's age, you can't accept anything short of amazing to get someone to switch.

And with all these bugs? Please. MS. needs to taste failure first to enjoy the success they "stumbled" onto. Then, they can release REAL products that people want!

So Google's OK to release "half baked software" but MS can't? You sure it's not a case of MS hatred?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
So Google's OK to release "half baked software" but MS can't? You sure it's not a case of MS hatred?
When Google did it, it was either that or accept Apple's controlling BS.

Now we have both of those, and MS has to justify dumping both.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
I think I'm good to stick it out with my 920. Battery life is now better than my 4s. I've had no problems with pdfs or docs. The phone is so quick and snappy. No lag whatsoever. I'm missing a half dozen minor software conveniences. All of which could be swept up with one good software update. Lack of apps does kinda stink but I'm happy to switch away from apple.

Oct 19, 2000

You still won't tell us about all these bugs you claim to have knowledge of. You're just trolling now.