Lumia 920 or IPhone 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which phone would you choose?

• IPhone 5

• Lumia 920

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
These phones are like the opposites of each other. One's built like a tank and the other is super light.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Great. Thanks.

Found Workaround for VPN Solution:
1) Remote Desktop into computer
2) Connect to your VPN network from that computer (which you are remotely logged into)
3) You have access to your VPN. (but you are doing it through your computer.

I would like to note that this will only work if your VPN is set up to split traffic. If its set up to tunnel all traffic through the VPN, then this will not work. So YMMV.

As you can probably guess, this doesn't work for me.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I am choosing the 920. For me the camera is just in another league and so is the screen. The ability to use it with winter gloves is huge for me living in northern minnesota. I also love live tiles vs the static icons on the IOS.

There are short comings in WP8 that I hope will get better with time. Apps is the biggest one. I am hoping with how easy it is to port apps from W/RT and W8 apps will come much faster. That is where the platform could truely shine. IE does need to get better but it has come a long way. The last is a real notifcation center and it sounds like the WP8 team has listened to its users and is working on it.

crisscross

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
I am choosing the 920. For me the camera is just in another league and so is the screen. The ability to use it with winter gloves is huge for me living in northern minnesota. I also love live tiles vs the static icons on the IOS.

There are short comings in WP8 that I hope will get better with time. Apps is the biggest one. I am hoping with how easy it is to port apps from W/RT and W8 apps will come much faster. That is where the platform could truely shine. IE does need to get better but it has come a long way. The last is a real notifcation center and it sounds like the WP8 team has listened to its users and is working on it.

I have the Samsung Focus and the Live Tiles are something i truly like. It's also easy to get to any app you want with just one swipe. Unlike Android where you have multiple screens. i have used my friend's Android with ICS and the interface doesn't appeal to me at all.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The Lumia 920 isn't even in the running for my phone purchase this year. The ecosystem is just too immature.

My two options right now are the Nexus 4 (despite its drawbacks, because it's so inexpensive), or else the iPhone 5.

If I had to choose between the iPhone 5 and Lumia 920, the decision would be extremely easy. iPhone 5.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I would definitely pick something else, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the iPhone simply because it's more likely to retain value for reselling.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Just got a cyan Lumia 920 from the MS store. I love this thing! I currently have a one x as well. Live tiles is awesome. I wish XBOX music was more like the Zune software though. True there are a lack of applications, but Microsoft is promising 46/50 of the top iOS/Android apps soon so I'm just waiting. So far so good.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Went back to the iPhone 5. WP8 has potential but I don't feel like being an early adopter all over again. It was painful enough with webos. I may step back into WP next year when the platform is more mature.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I'm likely to switch to the 920 next month, when my verizon contract expires. The only thing making me hesitant is the loss of automatic uploads to google+. I love that from an archive/backup solution. I know there's Skydrive, but it's not the same. Sigh, first world problems...