lulz: sharper image files files for chapter 11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Who woulda thunk when you price inventory at insane levels, nobody would buy it? It's like the markup Best Buy charges for usb cables, except for the entire store.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
What made the Ionic Breeze epically bad wasn't just that it was overpriced and virtually useless, but the fact that it actually aggravated the symptoms of people with asthma and other respiratory conditions because of the ozone output. It was sad that it had the "Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America" seal of approval.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Aharami
A judge recently threw out a proposed settlement in which consumers who bought the expensive air filter would receive a $19 coupon.

hahahaha.

$19 to Sharper Image buys you as much as $5 in any other store.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Originally posted by: Aharami
A judge recently threw out a proposed settlement in which consumers who bought the expensive air filter would receive a $19 coupon.

hahahaha.

$19 to Sharper Image buys you as much as $5 in any other store.

Maybe if it's the Monster cable store...

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
im sad :(

they're a great place to borrow things.
my camera went bad during a DisneyWorld trip down in FL back in 2004, so there I bought a Casio Digital camera, took like 1500 pictures, returned back to NYC to return them.

here's hoping a few stays open so they can continue this great service.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
The stores are always busy with people wandering around and trying things out, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone actually purchase anything there.

KT

Same here. Brookstone is the same way.

warmodder

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: RandomFool
The stores are always busy with people wandering around and trying things out, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone actually purchase anything there.

KT

Same here. Brookstone is the same way.

Everything in those stores screams crap. It's no wonder people never buy anything.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dman

KT

QFT. IMO, same story for Brookstone.

hey.. i own one of their $99 tempic memory foam pillows w/lifetime garentee

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: dman

KT

QFT. IMO, same story for Brookstone.

hey.. i own one of their $99 tempic memory foam pillows w/lifetime garentee

I bought 2 pairs of the tempurpedic slippers (one for me and one for a friend) and they're quite nice.

He also got a queen size TP bed and 2 pillows...that bastard

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Sharper Image was cool... back when there really weren't any stores. The early catalogs had some stuff that was unique way back then. Now I just refer to them as the store with shiny silver plastic things.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

KT

yea i don't think i've ever actually bought anything there. i have walked through a few times to look at the weird stuff.
their reputation really took a battering over selling quack products like the ionic breeze.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
One less place for guys to go to when they're dragged to the mall. Well, there's always the tool department at Sears.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I'm sure the Consumers Union (Consumer Reports), helped this along quite nicely :)
I hope BOSE and Oreck are the next to go........ Sharper Image, Bose and Oreck, produce nothing but JUNK!

Sharper Image pays $525,000 to end lawsuit against CU

Sharper Image sued after Consumer Reports judged the company's Ionic Breeze Quadra air purifier "ineffective" in an October 2003 report. A U.S. District Court dismissed the suit, ruling that Sharper Image had not shown our findings to be false. Because Sharper Image's claims affected CR's rights of free speech and press, the court ordered the company to pay our legal expenses. Sharper Image filed an appeal but later withdrew it, ending the legal action.

If you own an Ionic Breeze model, you might qualify for merchandise credit!

If you bought any Ionic Breeze air purifier from The Sharper Image after May 6, 1999, you could end up getting $19 merchandise credit as part of the proposed settlement. To qualify for the credit, you must be in the company's customer database as the purchaser of an air purifier or prove that you bought one of the affected models. According to the proposed settlement, you could use the credit only to buy Sharper Image-branded products. There's a limit of one credit per household, and you would have one year to use the credit once it's been issued to you. In addition, you'd be eligible to buy for $7 (reduced from $39.95) the company's "OzoneGuard" attachment that, claims Sharper Image, "instantly converts ozone to oxygen." As we've previously reported, although the attachment does reduce ozone levels, even with this accessory the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze Professional with OzoneGuard adds ozone to a room and was "as ineffective as earlier versions" and does a poor job of removing smoke, dust, and pollen particles from the air.