Luis Fortuño for Romney's VP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Have what?

I have never made a secret of my hatred of that so called religion of "peace", started by a pedophile, more-ham-it, islam. It is at it's core anti-freedom, anti-human rights, anti-women......it's mostly just anti-

There in no "religion" that is more in need of a reformation that islam.

Practicing your pile-it skills, I see.

Was there such a thing as pedophilia in Mohammed's time or in his country? I wasn't there and I'm pretty sure you weren't. When peoples average lifetime was ~35 years; it probably made sense to marry young and consummate the marriage as quickly as physically and biologically possible.

Have you talked at length with Muslim scholars, such as a mufti or muhaddith, who are much better versed in Islam than your average or even above-average American? If not, how can you say Islam is anti-anything? Or that it needs to be reformed?

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
I do not believe his PR birth would be a problem. As has been noted, PR's are US citizens by birth. Also, IIRC, Barry Goldwater was born in AZ (?) while it was still a US territory, not US proper and he was allowed to run for President.

Yeah, OP I saw that guy on TV the other night. What he's achieved in PR seems impressive.

Fern

It's funny how the media paints everything. No, for the most part he's a POS. Since many people here, like in the US, are incredibly stupid, they'll still vote for him anyway.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
It's funny how the media paints everything. No, for the most part he's a POS. Since many people here, like in the US, are incredibly stupid, they'll still vote for him anyway.

Well, you're from there so pls tell us your assessment of his performance. TBH, it was a brief interview and Stossel and he were touting his fiscal achievements. I.e., pretty one-sided.

TIA

Fern

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I don't think so, since the V.P. may have at some point have to be the President, who must be born in the US to get elected.

"The Twelfth Amendment states that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."[16] Thus, to serve as Vice President, an individual must:
Be a natural-born U.S. citizen;
Be at least 35 years old
Have resided in the U.S. at least 14 years."

You do realize that everyone in the PR is a US citizen right and PR is considered US territory and thus part of the US?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
"However, the islanders may not vote in U.S. presidential elections." Can't vote, but can run for V.P.? Not sure about this.

That only applies to people living in PR. Those who move away from PR, to say New York or Chicago are legally able to and do vote in US presidential elections.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
Well, you're from there so pls tell us your assessment of his performance. TBH, it was a brief interview and Stossel and he were touting his fiscal achievements. I.e., pretty one-sided.

TIA

Fern

He hasn't had any achievements, whether fiscal or not. He's touting a better economy even though he was one of those who brought it to shambles. Always easy to say you made a 20% improvement in an area when you were the one that made a 30% decline previously.

Typical bullshit from politicians, as always. The public education system here is absolute crap, the idiot fired thousands of public sector employees because the government can't administer money for shit, and 80-90% of the roads here are full of potholes, cracks, and made using shoddy-quality pavement even though there's road tolls everywhere. Speaking of which, the public transportation system is also shit. Electricity here is also hugely overpriced ($0.26/kWh) given the fact most of it comes from petrol and here costs/barrel are a bit lower than the US and in the pump.

Obviously the media will tout him as being the best thing since sliced cake, but the only thing he's achieved is making this country shittier.

Jan 25, 2011
"However, the islanders may not vote in U.S. presidential elections." Can't vote, but can run for V.P.? Not sure about this.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30527.pdf

2 Citizens born in Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands are legally defined as “natural born” citizens, and are, therefore, also eligible to be elected President, provided they meet qualifications of age and 14 years residence within the United States. Residence in Puerto Rico and U.S. territories and possessions does not qualify as residence within the United States for these purposes. [U.S. Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, U.S. Insular Areas and Their Political Development, by Andorra Bruno and Garrine P. Laney, CRS Report 96-578GOV (Washington: Jun. 17, 1996), pp. 9, 21, 33].

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Residence in Puerto Rico and U.S. territories and possessions does not qualify as residence within the United States for these purposes.

so, he probably isn't illegible to hold the office.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I haven't looked it up to confirm, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming that the Governor of Puerto Rico hasn't maintained legal residence in the 50 states for 14+ years.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I haven't looked it up to confirm, but I feel pretty comfortable assuming that the Governor of Puerto Rico hasn't maintained legal residence in the 50 states for 14+ years.

I have no idea either. Have to check it out. Doesn't have to be consecutive years, just total.