Luck buying large items from Amazon?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thinking about making my first HDTV purchase through amazon...want to know what everyone thinks about their large item shippery.

Dec 27, 2001
I bought a 500 pound Unisaw from them. :)

It was shipped by third party freight. Guy showed up with no lift gate and suggested we push it off the edge and let it fall.......500 pounds of precision steal and cast iron. I gave him a WTF!!??!! stare for a second and told him he needed to just come back.

Also bought a home gym from them and that time they had a lift gate, but one edge was still on the bed of the trailor as they lowered it. Rather than stopping to readjust it, the guy just kept going until the edge finally slid off and came crashing down. It needed assembly and was packed well, so no damage was done.

So, ya, I have and can say that everything made it inside in perfect shape despite some freight companies of questionable quality, but you need to be a hardass about checking it out before signing anything. If in doubt, send it back. Personally, I wouldn't buy a TV online.....not with a Costco within 30 miles.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I'd trust them - major brand that is known for good service, takes credit cards (Amex is what I'd trust most), and if it isn't shipped properly, it's not your issue, contact them and have it taken care of.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Make sure you get the White Glove Service on the TV's.

I've heard good things about the Amazon White Glove Service.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My 40" LCD TV came by frieght (back when LCD's still had a wow factor). The two guys were very nice and even wanted to help me set it up so they could see what the TV looked like. YMMV though.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
just ordered a sony 50" SXRD w/ free white glove service...hopefully it goes well!

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Ordered a 56-inch Samsung DLP through Amazon with free white glove service. But i ended up going to pick it up anyway since i couldn't take a day off to accept it.

I have had to get the TV serviced twice already, but i think it was just a bad unit not anything with the shipping.

Also, my TV dropped in price 12 days later and the adjusted the price without question. I would order online like that again.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Did you get the hlt5687? The LED driven DLP? That's what I'm looking at...any good?

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
My parents received a Panasonic plasma TV from Amazon with a cracked screen. Amazon was very good to replace it, the only drawback is that they had to wait an additional week or so for it.

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
friend bought a crt tv 2 years ago.. 27" i think, they ship 3 times and all 3 times it was dropped on corner... i think it was ups.. 4th time, they used some other shipper and its still good today.. hehe

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yea, overall good experience buying my 50 in plasma from Amazon.

Price was $500 cheaper than any B&M at the time, plus free shipping and no sales tax. Also the mounting bracket was FAR!

Delivery service called to set up a time, then two guys carried it in, set it up and plugged it in. I mounted it myself later.

So, saved tons of cash, timely shipping, good service. I have since convinced 2 of my neighbors to do the same thing. Go for it!

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
if you're the type of person who likes to check their shipping status every 30 minutes, eagle gl is going to drive you nuts. They dont ship packages immediately to their terminals immediately. Looks like they either wait for a truck to fill up, or possibly have 1 or 2 days a week that its scheduled. Tracking shows that they picked up my tv from Amazon a couple days ago, but no progress has been made since. When I called to ask about when I might expect it (the originating location is only 300 miles from the destination), they said that they had up to 5 days to get it to the destination terminal at which point I would receive a call to setup a delivery). From reading on Avsforum, delivery of the actual item is a little sketchy as well in the sense that if you are far away from the terminal, they only make 1 or 2 trips out a week to that area for deliveries.

Another thing people mentioned, is that you should call your destination terminal, and make sure that they have your phone # in their file. They will need to call you before the delivery is actually scheduled.

http://www.eaglegl.com/portal/...EGL/WorldwideDirectory

You can enter your destination terminal (it'll say in the tracking info), and a phone number should come up

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: upsciLLion
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Did you get the hlt5687? The LED driven DLP? That's what I'm looking at...any good?

FWIW the HLS5679W is on sale for $1380 + tax with free white glove delivery.

Thats the one i got! The TV's great, but it has not that great of a dynamic range; thats my only complaint. I would reccomend getting this years model, the hlt5687s that you mentioned OP. It has a dynaic range of 2.5x the 5679w, but also costs almost $600 more. I have seen on AVS forums that the 5679w can preform as good as the 5687s, if you pay the $225 to get a professional to come in and color balance it. So that makes it a toss up.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I bought a 56" Samsung DLP last November. Based on my experience, I'd recommend them....

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Sweet - is the white glove service free if you're a prime member?

I bought my tv from amazon, my friend got his as well.

White glove isn't something you request, instead it's a product attribute (certain products can only ship white glove). What it means is that it cannot be shipped via a regular shipping method but rather requires something like Eagle, etc.