Lucid Virtu on new Z68 chipset max resolution

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
I love the idea of the Z68 based motherboards that can accommodate both the intel HD graphics and a discrete video card -- automatically switching between them based on the requirements of the system. Everything I read however tells me this feature is limited to 1920x1080 over the on-board HDMI.

I currently have a 580GTX running my Dell 30" monitor at 2560x1600. If I were to switch to a SB platform and a new Z68 mobo that has this feature, would I be able to use Lucid Virtu?

I found the Asrock Z68 extreme4 mobo which actually has a display-port on-board which apparently supports resolutions up to 2560x1600, whereas its HDMI port only up to 1920x1080.

Would this mobo allow my 580GTX to be shut down for the vast majority of my work which does NOT tax my system for most of my day, but then kick in the evenings when I play a few games even at 2560x1600? This would seriously be a bonus to reduce power, noise and heat.

Or is Lucid Virtu locked at 1920x1080 period?

Last edited:

LokutusofBorg

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
Virtu is not limited in resolution, so anything you've found that indicates there's a limit is just the port (HDMI vs. DP, etc.) or that particular mobo or whatever.

Virtu is not quite ready for prime-time yet, though. You're primarily looking to reduce your idle power consumption, you say, but the recent tests/reviews show that Virtu does not improve idle power usage. My personal take is that it isn't worth it at this point in time.