Lucid Hydra interviews with AMD, NVidia, and Lucid

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Great article, thanks for posting! The PR speak in the interviews doesn't say much, but it looks the this technology is getting ever closer to being a reality.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I like how the replies from AMD and Nvidia are color-coded. Nice touch :)

Legit Reviews: Is the Lucid Hydra being certified for SLI?

Nvidia: No.

LOL! Did this really even need to be asked?

CyberAtomix

Jun 23, 2008
well the part i was surprised was this: Legit Reviews: Lastly, the last time a company tried to make a move in the GPU market it was AGEIA with PhysX. NVIDIA eventually purchased that company shortly after their products hit store shelves. Does NVIDIA have any interest in Lucid Logix?

We constantly evaluate strategic opportunities but of course we would not be able to confirm or deny such considerations.

scary if nvidia buys this tech rather see this independent , i mean if nvidia buys this how will ati counter this? since intel funded this they may end up buying this before anyone else.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Considering Intel's investment I DOUBT nVidia would be able to buy it...Intel wouldn't let them (ie. they'd pay more).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig

Why would it need SLI? I was under the impression that it replaced crossfire\SLI.

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

Why would it need SLI? I was under the impression that it replaced crossfire\SLI.

I was thinking the same thing... if a hydra chip is certified for both SLI and CFX, then perhaps the cards will play nicer together...? I don't know, but I am woefully skeptical that this tech will end ATI and Nvidia's stranglehold on the multi-gpu motherboard racket. I am hopefull that they do, but I doubt it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: allthatisman

I was thinking the same thing... if a hydra chip is certified for both SLI and CFX, then perhaps the cards will play nicer together...? I don't know, but I am woefully skeptical that this tech will end ATI and Nvidia's stranglehold on the multi-gpu motherboard racket. I am hopefull that they do, but I doubt it.

AFAIK certification for SLI/crossfire is 2 parts testing and 5 parts marketing. I dont think it will have any impact on Hydra at all. NV and ATI are certainly not going to test and give out certifications for mixed vendor multi GPU solutions!( we need a better name, SlyFire?)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
AFAIK certification for SLI/crossfire is 2 parts testing and 5 parts marketing. I dont think it will have any impact on Hydra at all. NV and ATI are certainly not going to test and give out certifications for mixed vendor multi GPU solutions!( we need a better name, SlyFire?)

You give them more "parts" in the testing category than I would have :laugh: I've always assumed NV's marketing scam of requiring the mobo guys to pay for SLI protection er, I mean SLI certification was 99 parts marketing and 1 part testing...if that.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I wouldn't mind seeing three HD5870 Vapor-x cards, or three GTX380 OC cards yeilding 300% scaling compared to a single card. You might see clearsky, arma2 or crysis maxed at 100fps. The best scaling i can think of at the moment would be 4850 crossfire or 9800Gtx+ sli on COD4. that is usually like 80-90% scaling.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Idontcare

You give them more "parts" in the testing category than I would have :laugh: I've always assumed NV's marketing scam of requiring the mobo guys to pay for SLI protection er, I mean SLI certification was 99 parts marketing and 1 part testing...if that.
As did I.

Still Hydra is looking damn impressive.