Lucid Dreams

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Digg had an article about some college guy rigging up a little kit to flash LEDs at you. Do you think that is legit? Do you think 30 bones for a programs PIC, some LEDs and the board layout is too much? Any additional thoughts? Anyone actually lucid dreamed before?

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
It could be possible if you trained yourself to recognize the lights while you were sleeping. Once you have the realization that you are in fact, asleep, you can begin to control certain aspects of your dream.

Here is the contraption. Looks pretty uncomfortable.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
I had a lucid dream once. Only lasted a few seconds though. Shame.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Actually from what I understand that's about the only way to make yourself lucid dream. If it happened to someone without the lights it was a complete accident.
With the lights you can train your brain to know it's dreaming, it's then that one can do all the crazy stuff that lucid dreaming is supposed to entail.

I've actually been meaning to pickup or build some sort of system for a while now.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Can anyone guess how hard that thing would be to build with good soldering experience but no electrical experience (weird, I know)? I know nothing of resistors and the such.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Auryg
Can anyone guess how hard that thing would be to build with good soldering experience but no electrical experience (weird, I know)? I know nothing of resistors and the such.

You would have to read up on how to build electrical circuits by looking at the diagram, there is plenty of information out there on how to do this. Once you understand you can just go to Radio Shack and buy the proper components and you'll be good to go, as you already know how to solder.

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
Lucid dreaming is absolutely the coolest thing.

A week after my buddy explained it to me, I had a lucid dream. I awoke fairly quickly. The second one I had, I realized that I was in that state. In my dream I told my buddies that I was in a lucid dream and then floated above them. I then decided to throw fireballs across the room. After about 2 fireballs I caught myself on fire. Obviously I woke up at that point.

Its so cool to realize you are dreaming, and then do crazy things. Unfortunately, Ive had 2 lucid dreams in probably 3 years. Not exactly a wealth of oppurtunities to try different things.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004

If you can solder the act of putting the thing together probably wouldn't be terribly hard. Understanding the schematic would be harder for me than building it.

edit: grammar

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Lash444

A week after my buddy explained it to me, I had a lucid dream. I awoke fairly quickly. The second one I had, I realized that I was in that state. In my dream I told my buddies that I was in a lucid dream and then floated above them. I then decided to throw fireballs across the room. After about 2 fireballs I caught myself on fire. Obviously I woke up at that point.

Its so cool to realize you are dreaming, and then do crazy things. Unfortunately, Ive had 2 lucid dreams in probably 3 years. Not exactly a wealth of oppurtunities to try different things.

so... you pwned yourself in a dream?

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: hungfarover

If you can solder the act of putting the thing together probably wouldn't be terribly hard. Understanding the schematic would be harder for me than building it.

edit: grammar

The trick will be to pick up the rapid eye movements that are obviously present during REM sleep. That is when the LCD's flash, and when you are in the state that dreams would occur.

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Lorax
Originally posted by: Lash444

so... you pwned yourself in a dream?

Indeed, I did. The first 1 or 2 fireballs went off without a hitch. After that I remember thinking, "What if I caught myself on fire?". Then the thing exploded in my hand. The levitation thing was cool enough, but I would never have thought that I could shoot a fireball from my hand. I would gladly pay 1k dollars if that device worked even half the time.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Since when do you need a machine to lucid dream?

I am able to do it all the time (usually only for a few seconds though) by falling alseep in an uncomfortable position, so I fall asleep but am conscious enough to know it is a dream. It kind of feels like you are half awake. And, then I control what I want to dream about for a bit, usually whatever I was concentrating on really hard before I fell asleep.

On another note, Delta Force Snipers have been taught to control their sleep so that the mind tells it's body it is asleep, yet they are awake mentally and completely alert. The few reports on this indicated that not everyone could do it except for a select few that were choosen to be SFOD-D snipers and had to undergo weeks of treatment under a pyschcologist to be able to do it.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
i used to lucid dream whenever i was a kid... all the time. i had nightmares and my mom told me that whenever i had bad dreams, just imagine he-man coming in and beating up the bad guys. it worked and i didn't have nearly as many nightmares as i had before.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
On another note, Delta Force Snipers have been taught to control their sleep so that the mind tells it's body it is asleep, yet they are awake mentally and completely alert. The few reports on this indicated that not everyone could do it except for a select few that were choosen to be SFOD-D snipers and had to undergo weeks of treatment under a pyschcologist to be able to do it.

Link to this?

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: HotChic

Link to this?

No link. It was Inside Delta Force by Eric L Haney and Delta Force by Charles Beckwith, by a delta operator and the unit's creator/first commander respectively.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: HotChic

Link to this?

No link. It was Inside Delta Force by Eric L Haney and Delta Force by Charles Beckwith, by a delta operator and the unit's creator/first commander respectively.

That would be awesome for later on in life. Be the bum on the bench who never sleeps!