[LTT] Linus and Luke's "Linux daily driver PC challenge".

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I watched reaction videos from Gardiner Bryant and Chris Titus. My money is on Luke winning.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Linus is such a troll... when the package manager says "Don't do this, you're going to overwrite critical packages!", you don't say "Sure, let's DO IT!"

That felt like a forced error to me... someone who uses Linux for their servers like Linus does should know better.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Here's a video that explains what happened to Linus with Pop_OS and Steam. Summary, he shares some responsibility for allowing the OS to make the requested changes, but those changes were indeed a bug.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
The finale is posted now and it’s exactly what any logical person would conclude. While Linux’s beauty is in its community and customizability, that same system is complete necrosis to the sort of consistency needed to make Linux as a whole a target for gaming development dollars.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm hopeful that the Steam Deck is finally going to force game developers to fix these issues with their games not working properly under Linux.

If not, it's going to become the world's weirdest Windows 11 handheld :)

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I'm hopeful that the Steam Deck is finally going to force game developers to fix these issues with their games not working properly under Linux.

If not, it's going to become the world's weirdest Windows 11 handheld :)

I think they address (some) of this in the video but a lot of the Steam AAA scene is looking pretty good! But people (including many from the Linux community) also demanded an end to the Steam monopoly. Like a tropey RPG, big business in the industry was more than wiling to make a deal for that but in the end they only created more fragmented game stores with far less focus on Linux compatibility than Steam. “nearly half of the top streamed games on Twitch are not available on Steam.”

That all said, as they showed in the video, and I’m sure many of us are familiar with the Tweet from Ben Golus, Linux game development can often require an incredible amount of resources to break / fix fragmentation, while providing only a tiny fraction of overall revenue. It’s no surprise that Linux fanatics will immediately come out of the woodwork to blame the developer, not the ecosystem, but as it stands Steam’s remaining monopoly of the PC game distribution industry is about the only real chance we have at getting more Linux support in games.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I didn't watch any of the videos, but I don't see why devs can't just target ubuntu. call that the supported platform, and what's required for the game. Users can hack on it for other systems. If it works on ubuntu, it'll work on anything. Just a matter of putting the time in.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I didn't watch any of the videos, but I don't see why devs can't just target ubuntu. call that the supported platform, and what's required for the game. Users can hack on it for other systems. If it works on ubuntu, it'll work on anything. Just a matter of putting the time in.

"Ubuntu? That distro is for noobs! They should be targeting Fedora/Mint/Gentoo/(Insert your favorite distro) instead!" :)

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
"Ubuntu? That distro is for noobs! They should be targeting Fedora/Mint/Gentoo/(Insert your favorite distro) instead!" :)
I'd like to see them target Red Hat, Debian, Suse. One of the main distros should allow an easier time moving support downstream - debian to mint or ubuntu rather than ubuntu to mint.