Question [LTT] Home NAS Server 'geek pr0n' - 12x NVME 4.0 8TB SSDs on unraid

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
At the end, they hook it up to a 10Gbe network and average 8 Gb/s or less or actual bandwidth. Not sure what can be done since SMB is limited to a single thread. Face the same challenge with my setup even with 7200rpm hard drives.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I don't know about UnRAID but Samba at this point can do SMB Multi-Channel if the Guest / Client support it. As far as I'm aware though Samba only supports Multi-Channel via the multi-subnet method (multiple ports, each on their own distinct network segment). As long as the "big consumers" are on all of these networks, you should see CPU utilization improvements. Likewise, as long as your NICs support RSS (and at 10Gb most if not all should), then as long as incoming connections are coming from different IPs, they should also get divided up on multiple CPU cores.

Still, in general agree that for file delivery with large consumers (vs. numerous small consumers) clock speed is generally king.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
At the end, they hook it up to a 10Gbe network and average 8 Gb/s or less or actual bandwidth. Not sure what can be done since SMB is limited to a single thread. Face the same challenge with my setup even with 7200rpm hard drives.

They used a 10gbe since it was a temporary connection.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Linus already did a file transfer using SMB 3.0 multichannel 5 years and 8 months ago.

No multi-subnet requirement.

Yeah, Microsoft SMB can do multi-channel without multi-subnet. But Samba I do not believe has ever implemented that. It still requires multiple subnets. Hell, 4.14 came out this year and Multichannel still isn’t on by default. Solutions not relying on an Enterprise Codebase (like NetApp ONTAP), and not Microsoft have a long way to go for feature parity multichannel With Microsoft’s own SMB solution. That would include anyone running UnRAID, or most *NIX and *BSD distros.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
OK. Not familiar with Linux. Thought Samba was same as SMB.
SMB protocol is from Microsoft. MS was not so keen on sharing, so open source people came up with something that manages to talk that protocol. They call it Samba ...
Obviously MS has kept the target moving, so compatibility could be better.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, Microsoft SMB can do multi-channel without multi-subnet. But Samba I do not believe has ever implemented that. It still requires multiple subnets. Hell, 4.14 came out this year and Multichannel still isn’t on by default. Solutions not relying on an Enterprise Codebase (like NetApp ONTAP), and not Microsoft have a long way to go for feature parity multichannel With Microsoft’s own SMB solution. That would include anyone running UnRAID, or most *NIX and *BSD distros.
So, found 2 posts regarding samba 4.4 still requires multi-subnet to make multichannel to work on Linux.