Question Low wattage CPUS

glencore

Feb 21, 2006
Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions on very low wattage CPUs for a home server running TrueNAS and a few VMs and containers?

I'm looking at current and older hardware, desktop and server.

Edit: When I say very low wattage - I really mean very low wattage in low usage states. I really want the server to run 24/7 but it will be low usage most of that time.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Sounds memory heavy and light compute. In any case, any modern processor would do as they will automatically idle at a few watts (not including rest of platform).

glencore

Feb 21, 2006
@DrMrLordX

I'd like the system to be, say 20-30 watts at idle/very low usage. That would cost me about £3.50 per month to run.

I currently have a dell r410 1u rack which seems to draw quite a lot of power even when idle and costs me £15-20 per month to run.

@Bouowmx

Do you have any suggestions on the rest of the platform? If it could run DDR3 ECC RAM that'd be a bonus as I'd not need to buy new, but not essential.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
@DrMrLordX

I'd like the system to be, say 20-30 watts at idle/very low usage. That would cost me about £3.50 per month to run.
About 40 is the lowest you can hope for, including the whole system.
You could undervolt to decrease that further and make profiles for any software that do need more juice to run.

glencore

Feb 21, 2006
About 40 is the lowest you can hope for, including the whole system.
You could undervolt to decrease that further and make profiles for any software that do need more juice to run.

That's a really good link, thanks! I'm looking at the test setup and it includes a high-end GPU, which I'm googling uses ~17W at idle so I could minus that from these results?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and killster1

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@glencore

20-30W for the entire system? Some laptops and tablets can operate in that space. If you're looking for any serious I/O for your TrueNAS, though, you should expect to burn more power. The more attached devices you have, the more power you will burn. Have you specced out your storage yet? What are your expectations for capacity and performance?

glencore

Feb 21, 2006
@glencore

20-30W for the entire system? Some laptops and tablets can operate in that space. If you're looking for any serious I/O for your TrueNAS, though, you should expect to burn more power. The more attached devices you have, the more power you will burn. Have you specced out your storage yet? What are your expectations for capacity and performance?

Sorry, I should say that that wattage goal was excluding the spinning storage, and also at idle.

My storage will be 4x 4tb SAS drives (WD4001FYYG), because, well I have those already. They idle at 11 watts each which is high but they will be spun down most of the time.

Reactions: Tlh97 and killster1

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
@DrMrLordX

I currently have a dell r410 1u rack which seems to draw quite a lot of power even when idle and costs me £15-20 per month to run.

@Bouowmx

Do you have any suggestions on the rest of the platform? If it could run DDR3 ECC RAM that'd be a bonus as I'd not need to buy new, but not essential.

You should look what offers Desktop Renoir APU."I now that Renoir APU availability(OEM only CPU) is not very good", but power consumption=performanse is very good or excellent if you are going on a 35WTDP route.

If you disable Core Performance Boost(Bios default is Auto or On), it will be same as 35W cTDP setings.This setings or cTDP/Bios option my motherboard does not have.Multi core or Multithreding performanse(3.7ghz all Core turbo), it will be lower by 10-15% with CPU voltage up to 1.200V.I have R5 Pro 4650G, and with CPB disabled(just for testing) when CPU is 100% loaded it heats up very little and it is very easy to cool.As you can see(Asrock DeskMini A300),with cTDP option 35W R5 Pro 4650G=Cinebench R20 Multicore test all system eats only 55W.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and glencore

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sorry, I should say that that wattage goal was excluding the spinning storage, and also at idle.

My storage will be 4x 4tb SAS drives (WD4001FYYG), because, well I have those already. They idle at 11 watts each which is high but they will be spun down most of the time.

Hmm okay. Are you using a separate controller card for those? I haven't much experience with SAS drives, but I'm pretty sure you can't just hook those up to any old SATA port (though you can connect SATA to SAS).

with cTDP option 35W R5 Pro 4650G=Cinebench R20 Multicore test all system eats only 55W.

I'll grant you that he probably won't be running 3D rendering software 24/7, but 55W does exceed his total system requirements. Not counting the storage.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
There's a market in China (Aliexpress) for combo of Intel X99/C612 motherboard and Xeon E5-2678 v3 (12 cores, 2.5/3.3 GHz) supporting DDR3 ECC
No integrated GPU, so that's a penalty to idle power.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Does anyone have any suggestions on very low wattage CPUs for a home server running TrueNAS and a few VMs and containers?

This is what you want:

They come from supermicro like this:
It even has a SATADOM connector... the yellow SATA plug.
Its basically FreeNAS / TrueNAS ready out of the box, no finding drivers, nothing.

Pair it with ECC Unregistered ram. Remember try to max out the ram config as much as possible.
It should serve TrueNAS very well, as its enterprise class intel parts where FreeBSD was practically written for.

If you want something with a bit more power, then you want a Xeon D-1541. Something like this:

My advice is to keep with enterprise class Intel parts for TrueNAS, and again max out as much ram as possible, as freebsd loves ram.
The ryzens are faster yes, but freenas cpu speed is almost moot, its mostly how much ram you have, and how many 8xpci-e slots you got for addon HBA cards, also TrueNAS payside uses all intel parts, so i would keep true to intel on this until they start rolling out Ryzens.

Although you may want to even consider spending a tad bit more and getting a TrueNAS Mini-XL.

It even has the case, hotswap bays, 10GBe and psu.
In short i did the math and its not a bad deal for the parts you get plus the support and warranty, especially if you do not have the HBA card.

Also are you going to run the VMs inside TrueNAS or are you going to run TrueNAS inside the VM?
TrueNAS 12.0 has the ability to run VMs and Jails in its own environment.

Last edited:

unclewebb

May 28, 2012
Intel's power hungry 10850K can be a low power CPU if you know how to setup Windows and if you enable the low power C states. Use O&O ShutUp10 to turn off some of the Windows 10 bloatware. The C0% number in ThrottleStop can be extremely low when the bloatware is disabled.

i4tnKgl.jpg

I prefer a fast CPU but you can shave a couple of more watts off that total if you slow the CPU down when it is lightly loaded. You can use ThrottleStop to run an Intel CPU at any speed you like. You can change the turbo power limits and convert a 125W CPU into a 35W CPU or whatever you like. No need to buy a special T series CPU. Here is how to build your own 35W 10850K.

1614361312816.png

Intel never talks about this capability because they would prefer you paid extra money for a T series. The K series can run at high MHz with less voltage. When held to a low speed, they often times have similar or lower power consumption compared to some of Intel's low power CPUs.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
My 2200G is limited to 35W in BIOS. Essentially a 2200GE. Asrock A300W. Idle draw at Windows desktop is 11.7 watts, 18.7 watts during 720p h265 playback. Would be great as a server (unless you need ECC).