Low GPU usage and low FPS, nvidia 980 ti... da frick

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Anyone else getting these kinds of issues? I'll get <50% utilization across all my CPU cores and on my 980 Ti. FPS will dip into 70s on some maps and still never even hit 50% utilization. This is primarily a problem in CSGO but also in Dota 2.

I know 70FPS doesn't seem like a big deal to some but I pretty much never hit that with my 7970 and I like to keep my FPS above 100 for most games (if not 300+ for twitchy games like CSGO).

How do you solve it? I've tried a bunch of stuff and it seems nothing works. It really ruffles my jammies.

EDIT: Seems my CPU utilization across from cores is near 90% but still.. :'(

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I feel you should be getting a lot more than 70 fps in csgo with that card as well

What's your cpu

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
i7-4770. Thing clocks up to 3.67ghz sometimes and yet I'm still dipping below 100fps on some maps. Makes no sense. Assault is a bad offender. Being inside assault the fps just dips below 100fps constantly. Seems this happens with a lot of other people too. Pisses me off.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
70fps for CSGO is extremely low for a 980Ti, now does throttling on the Nvidia cards work these days? I think they throttle down the core clock speeds when they're not being used much to conserve energy, could that be the issue?

Nov 26, 2005
Anyone else getting these kinds of issues? I'll get <50% utilization across all my CPU cores and on my 980 Ti. FPS will dip into 70s on some maps and still never even hit 50% utilization. This is primarily a problem in CSGO but also in Dota 2.

I know 70FPS doesn't seem like a big deal to some but I pretty much never hit that with my 7970 and I like to keep my FPS above 100 for most games (if not 300+ for twitchy games like CSGO).

How do you solve it? I've tried a bunch of stuff and it seems nothing works. It really ruffles my jammies.

EDIT: Seems my CPU utilization across from cores is near 90% but still.. :'(

Definitely a CPU issue somewhere. My game rig pegs 300fps at full 1080p res. everything on high ingame, everything on low (performance) for desktop

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I think my CPU is throttling itself. It's hitting TMAX of 100C under stress tests.

I'm going to reapply the cooler, use new thermal paste, and see what the fuck is going on. It's been a while since I put the CPU cooler on. It might have detached a bit.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Reapplied thermal paste, back down into the 80s using HeavyLoad. Obviously, not the best. I'd like it to be under 70C but whatever. I bought a 212 evo off Amazon. Should be here by Wednesday and I'll start using that. Hopefully that brings the temp below 70C and closer to 60C under that stress test. (That stress test I'm using is so intense it stops my browser from loading pages)

For now the highest temp is about 87-88C after running it for a couple minutes. Clearly still really high but not pinging off 100C anymore.

Highest temp in csgo is 65-68C... Still low GPU utilization. <50%.

CPU utilization hasn't even hit 100%. There's some 90s here and there but it hovers around 70-80% on one or two cores at most.

EDIT: Still dipping into the 90s on assault with 9 bots and me. On the interior. GPU usage at 30-40% still.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
i7-4770. Thing clocks up to 3.67ghz sometimes and yet I'm still dipping below 100fps on some maps. Makes no sense. Assault is a bad offender. Being inside assault the fps just dips below 100fps constantly. Seems this happens with a lot of other people too. Pisses me off.
2c

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Man, this card is infuriating. I feel like selling it if it's not going to fucking work for me. :(

I thought this card would be awesome but there's thousands of others who apparently are having the exact same issue.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
CSGO for me often is sitting at 150+fps on about every map with my i5 2500 non k and my 660 at 1280x800 with 8x MSAA applied.Got low gpu usage there too.:) It has to be something with your cpu.

When i had my Q6600 at stock,i was getting well over 100 more times then not.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Why would it be anything with my CPU? I have a i7-4770. It's better than yours and I get lower FPS inside assault.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
90% utilization means it's a cpu bottleneck. Run 3dmark fire strike to determine if it's running correctly. Seems it could be damaged as your cpu temps were way way too high.

The GTX 980 Ti is not the problem, so you can probably relax about that a bit.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
90% utilization means it's a cpu bottleneck. Run 3dmark fire strike to determine if it's running correctly. Seems it could be damaged as your this temps were way way too high.

The GTX 980 Ti is not the problem, so you can probably relax about that a bit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=980+ti+low+gpu+usage&oq=980+ti+low+gpu+usage

In dota 2, I dip into the 70s still and CPU utilization is constantly below 80%. Hovers around 40-60%. GPU utilization never hits 50%.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
To determine if it's the card run 3dmark and see how you compare to similar systems. If your score there is good you can rule out the CPU vs GPU debate as 3Dmark is much more GPU bound.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
https://www.google.com/search?q=980+ti+low+gpu+usage&oq=980+ti+low+gpu+usage

In dota 2, I dip into the 70s still and CPU utilization is constantly below 80%. Hovers around 40-60%. GPU utilization never hits 50%.

Yes, a lot of Nvidia users have low GPUage, but almost none of them have it because of their GPU. I'd also like to point out that for CSGO, you are focusing on the wrong component. It's mostly the CPU that determines your FPS, as it is not a GPU demanding game. It's not a CPU one either, in all reality, but with people wanting 300 FPS, it becomes a CPU problem.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's strange, man.

I mean, who can afford a 980 Ti, a super fancy trashcan and vacuum cleaner, new suit...without a job?

Shouldn't you at least trade in the 980 and pick up some health insurance?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Why would it be anything with my CPU? I have a i7-4770. It's better than yours and I get lower FPS inside assault.

The reason it is your CPU is because it is too hot and throttling. You could also have other apps in the background or a virus that is stealing CPU time. If you were to underclock it a little and lower the voltage, it would probably do better until you get a new HSF.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
OP, I'll explain why the issue is not the GPU.

You took a new high-end GPU, the 980 Ti, which is designed to run modern games at high framerates, and you are playing DOTA and CSGO on it, which use game engines that are a decade old. They can't possibly stress the GPU to its full capacity, and therefore you will never, ever see 100% GPU usage on your card. Furthermore, in order to save energy, Nvidia forces its GPUs to downclock when the full GPU speed is not necessary. That is why you are seeing clockspeed fluctuations. It is not a defect, it's a feature. Frankly, the 980 Ti wasn't the right purchase if your only aim was maxing framerates in older games, but you have it now, so we can try to help you integrate it into your system.

Given the information you have passed along so far, it appears that something has gone wrong with your CPU. Perhaps your cooler originally wasn't attached correctly, but if you hit 100C on a 4770 while playing a game, the cooler simply wasn't functioning. End of story. And if you did it for long enough without noticing it, the CPU could have been damaged.

Based on the CPU utilization and framerates you are describing, the CPU either lost several cores or is permanently throttled. To know more about what is going on, you need to use a voltage and clockspeed monitoring program, such as CPU-z, along with the Windows Task Manager, which can provide per-core usage information.

If you'd like help doing this, I'm sure the members who have participated in this thread would be happy to provide more instructions.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OP, I'll explain why the issue is not the GPU.

You took a new high-end GPU, the 980 Ti, which is designed to run modern games at high framerates, and you are playing DOTA and CSGO on it, which use game engines that are a decade old. They can't possibly stress the GPU to its full capacity, and therefore you will never, ever see 100% GPU usage on your card. Furthermore, in order to save energy, Nvidia's forces its GPUs to downclock when the full GPU speed is not necessary. That is why you are seeing clockspeed fluctuations. It is not a defect, it's a feature. Frankly, the 980 Ti wasn't the right purchase if your only aim was maxing framerates in older games, but you have it now, so we can try to help you integrate it into your system.

Given the information you have passed along so far, it appears that something has gone wrong with your CPU. Perhaps your cooler originally wasn't attached correctly, but if you hit 100C on a 4770 while playing a game, the cooler simply wasn't functioning. End of story. And if you did it for long enough without noticing it, the CPU could have been damaged.

Based on the CPU utilization and framerates you are describing, the CPU either lost several cores or is permanently throttled. To know more about what is going on, you need to use a voltage and clockspeed monitoring program, such as CPU-z, along with the Windows Task Manager, which can provide per-core usage information.

If you'd like help doing this, I'm sure the members who have participated in this thread would be happy to provide more instructions.

Your effort to provide concise, useful, and actionable information is laudable. But I assure you that this OP will not listen.

He will continue to blame his GPU and never accept that he spent way too much money on something that he doesn't need (if all he is doing is playing DOTA and CS...lol). He will never accept that he made a bad decision. Never.

For it is his MO.