Low gpa and grad school?

Mar 15, 2003
I have a terrible GPA - I was recently diagnosed with A.D.D. but I also admit to being a bit lazy during my first few years of college.. Now I'm about to graduate undergrad and would like to go to film school (or telivision production) grad school - is there anyway to go even though I have a terrible GPA? My portfolio is pretty impressive and I do have teachers that adore me, I just did terrible in some of my required classes (spanish, math, etc.) while excelling in most of my film/media related classes.. Do I have any hope at all?

My dream school is the Tisch school of arts in NYU- anyone go there?

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
If you have the portfolio, then you're set. Art/film schools will weight your portfolio the most.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Did you do better in the later years after you goofed off? If so, they'll see that you had an upward trend in your GPA. I wouldn't lose all hope :) While my gpa wasn't that low and I'm in a completely different field, I had a low overall gpa but did quite well in my remaining semesters... and I'm going to grad school. It also helps if you went to a good undergrad school!

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Ameesh
USC has a great film school

I know.. I've heard incredible things about them.. I'd have to stay on the east coast though to save money and to stay close to my gf that goes to columbia..

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Just about anyone can get into a grad school...it just might not be their first choice.

How were your GRE scores? Those can sometimes compensate for GPA when grouped with the things you've mentioned (recommendations, portfolio, etc.).

Can't do much about the GPA at this point, so just work at improving the other areas of your application. Put a lot of work into your personal statements, research the schools that you're wanting to attend so that you can make it seem as though you have a genuine interest in being accepted, and things like that.

In the end, don't worry. You'll end up getting in somewhere.

Also, are you aiming for a master's or doctoral degree? If the latter, many times advisors will recommend that their students go for a master's (thus essentially wiping their undergrad GPA and starting fresh), do very well, and then apply for a ph.d (or your respective degree) program.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Or worst comes to worst spend a year or two working, I've heard that helps too.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
how do u find out your gpa?
i graduated a few years ago and got a cert..thats it. bsc..where do i get my grades?...gpa?
it sucks if i gotta pay for it :(

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Someone here on the forums with a bad GPA got into grad school for Comp. Sci. Though, the school isn't very well known for it's CS program, but it's a grad school.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Someone here on the forums with a bad GPA got into grad school for Comp. Sci. Though, the school isn't very well known for it's CS program, but it's a grad school.

Who got in? What was their GPA? I'm thinking about going to grad school for comp sci....

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
hows grad school for comp sci?
what do u do?...programming?...how does it differ from undergrad CompSci?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

Who got in? What was their GPA? I'm thinking about going to grad school for comp sci....

Search for a thread called "Low Tier Grad School". Not sure if that is the same person.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001

haha... that's me! yes, gpa is lame therefore I will go to a low-tier grad school... fun fun fun
rolleye.gif

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: AgentEL

haha... that's me! yes, gpa is lame therefore I will go to a low-tier grad school... fun fun fun
rolleye.gif

Do you think it really matters where a person went to school? I am not talking about MIT or Stanford, those are extremes.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
My GPA wasn't so great either, but my GRE scores rocked and one of my three letters of recommendation was from a professor who is quite respected in the department I applied to. I got in, though it was made clear to me that I need to "prove myself" in my first year (starting this September).

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Do you think it really matters where a person went to school? I am not talking about MIT or Stanford, those are extremes.

A worthwhile comment. Once you get out of the top tier, it's much more important to work in a department and with a professor that is a good match and that you can develop well with. Ideally, the professor is even a nice person. :)