Low-end processor help

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I used to know every detail about every possible processor, but I haven't paid much attention in the last few years. So, now that it is time to get a new computer, I don't know crap about the processors.

I'm looking at getting a low end Dell in October. Right now, it looks like the low end Dells come with Dual core E5200 or Core 2 Duo E7500. In the past, October was a key launch month for Intel. Is this still true? Do you expect a decent low-end processor boost then (that is, should I wait for the mid-line processors now to filter down to the low end)?

This will be mostly office applications and limited gaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
E5200 is a sweet little CPU, but much of that is due to its easy overclocking ability, which is neutered by purchasing a Dell. As far as stock speeds, it's not bad.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
There might be dells available with the lower end i3/i5s in later october, but current dual cores are fine for what you have mentioned, and will be cheaper than the coming options

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Intel does have no products coming out next month, however I wouldn't call their prices or performance low end.

The E5200 is a great processor, it'll handle the tasks your looking to do with ease.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Thanks for the answers.

I may have mislead you a bit. I occasionally do some mathematical simulations that take weeks to solve. I also occasionally do photo and video editing. Also, I want this to be doing well with programs in 5 years. So, I don't want a crap processor (I'll avoid the Atom, the Celeron, etc). But, I'm fine with the current low end since my needs aren't that great.

If nothing really happens in the next month or two (maybe the i3 isn't available yet), which is better E5200 or E7500?

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
The E7500 is both better and more expensive. Depends on what you need vs. what you want to spend.

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
You might also have a look at the new Athlon II x2 or Phenom II x2 processors from AMD. They offer great value at the low end as well.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
yea but if he is doing mathmatical simulations that take weeks, overclocking might not be the best thing for him

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Ben90
yea but if he is doing mathmatical simulations that take weeks, overclocking might not be the best thing for him

sounds like he really needs a quad...

PGriff

Jul 29, 2009
Originally posted by: jjmIII
Originally posted by: Ben90

sounds like he really needs a quad...

Ya I agree. On the Inspiron customization page ( I assume this is what you are referring too), tyou can get a q8200 for 40 bucks more. I assume that would exponetially help with those mathematical simulations. This seems like a rare instance when someone would be able to get full use out of four cores lol.

Phenom ii x4 systems are real nice too, and can be had rather cheaply, if your inclined to build your own. The phenom ii x4 810 (2.6 ghz) is only $140 on egg, compared to q8200 which is $150 with a lower clockspeed (2.33ghz). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the phenom ii might be slightly faster or about equal clock per clock as core 2? A cheap am2+ mobo would allow you to build a really economical amd system that would chew up these mathematical things.