Lousy Case Against Guantanamo Muslim Chaplain

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
The Christian Science Monitor, a well respected paper with many references to other papers, reports that the army case against Chaplain Yee is falling apart. Link.

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Tuesday that the "Article 32" hearing to determine if Yee would face a court-martial was put on hold for a month while the Army determined if the documents found in his briefcase were indeed classified ones."

[Omited portion of the article]

"CNN reports that the defense, however, did get one of the prosecution's witness (the custom agent who seized his briefcase) to admit that none of the papers in the briefcase were marked classified or secret. The agent said he had received a tip from someone in "law enforcement" to search Yee, but he would not say it was." [Yes, that's the quote, even though it appears incomplete.]

Can you spell "hysteria?"

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Can we spell Geneva Conventions.....

I just cannot believe America is doing this...

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
Can we spell Geneva Conventions.....

I just cannot believe America is doing this...

I cant believe Haliburton is overcharging hardworking american taxpayers for their services, but I believe it to be so.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It seemed like an odd situation right from the start. Disappointed, but not surprised.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Whitling
The Christian Science Monitor, a well respected paper with many references to other papers, reports that the army case against Chaplain Yee is falling apart. Link.

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Tuesday that the "Article 32" hearing to determine if Yee would face a court-martial was put on hold for a month while the Army determined if the documents found in his briefcase were indeed classified ones."

[Omited portion of the article]

"CNN reports that the defense, however, did get one of the prosecution's witness (the custom agent who seized his briefcase) to admit that none of the papers in the briefcase were marked classified or secret. The agent said he had received a tip from someone in "law enforcement" to search Yee, but he would not say it was." [Yes, that's the quote, even though it appears incomplete.]

Can you spell "hysteria?"

Two things. First, never trust the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation -- that is quite possibly one of the sloppiest papers I've ever seen. I'm from Atlanta so I've seen enough of that rag. Second, the statement from CNN is that the papers "were marked classified or secret", which actually is nonsensical in terms of security classifications but that's another issue. It doesn't say "whether or not the papers were classifed", it says specifically, "marked". Even if the papers were not marked classified, they could very well have been classified, and if he was given access to classified material, it is HIS responsibility to ensure against unauthorized disclosure or improper storage. Perhaps it's poor reporting, but it remains to be seen what the actual situation is.

Now, it does sound like the case is a little more tenuous than it was originally playing out in the media. Nevertheless, the mishandling of classified material is a serious matter, and with the other case(s?) down at Gitmo, specifically the Senior Airman charged with espionage or aiding the enemy (whatever it wound up being), I am not surprised that the authorities would go overboard rather than treating any possible breaches lightly.