Louisville's Bob Petrino to the Falcons?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Link - Will he be VICKtimized as well?

ATLANTA -- Louisville coach Bob Petrino is the choice of the Atlanta Falcons to succeed Jim Mora as head coach, several league sources confirmed Sunday night, and the team is in contract negotiations aimed at securing a contract agreement that could lead to a Monday announcement of his hiring.

Sources stressed that Petrino, 45, has yet to accept the position, but that the two sides were moving toward an agreement.

The highly-regarded Petrino is known for his creative offensive designs and the priority of Falcons' brass is to land a head coach capable of getting the most from quarterback Michael Vick's talents.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, if true that sucks. Even though I hate the Cards ( :p ), I admire what a job he has done for their football team. Dasm! :(

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That focker.

Pure focker.

Damn bastage. Good luck in the pros you traitorious piece of crap. And to think I trumpeted you. Damn piece of crap.
:disgust:

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Let's just be honest and say that coaching contracts, like player's contracts, are meaningless and are completely dependent upon the latest offer.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Why does anyone bother with "contracts" anymore?

Its not like anyone takes them seriously.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Let's just say that he looked me in the eye and said he will be staying and loves Louisville.

Damn prick.

Dumb move. He had an athetic director that would give him the moon and had the backing to build a national program. I'm so ticked right now I can't type straight. Even my SO is yelling profanities I don't think I've ever heard.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Let's just say that he looked me in the eye and said he will be staying and loves Louisville.

Damn prick.

Dumb move. He had an athetic director that would give him the moon and had the backing to build a national program. I'm so ticked right now I can't type straight. Even my SO is yelling profanities I don't think I've ever heard.

Well, Petrino does rhyme with Pitino! :p

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000

Damn prick.

He's probably just upset.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Damn prick.

There are people on some other boards saying that all hell is starting to be raised on UL's campus. Something about frats...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Feldenak

Spidey = Big UL donor? ;)

I've been to a few "events".

Now I understand how UK fans felt when Pitino left. Thankfully UL now has Pitino.

Dude, you have to understand the buzz that's been going on in this town. FINALLY we have a football program. All the hope of the last few seasons, the recruiting, the coach, the drive of the AD to make a national football program.....the stadium...the fan support....I was at a home game at 20 degrees to cheer them on.

I'm pissed.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Well, he did a better job of not looking like a complete ass....if true, it makes him look better than this guy.

Well, to be fair, Petrino didn't have the press hounding him for a month. I don't think the media even had an opportunity to ask Petrino about the Atlanta head coaching job.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Well, he did a better job of not looking like a complete ass....if true, it makes him look better than this guy.

Well, to be fair, Petrino didn't have the press hounding him for a month. I don't think the media even had an opportunity to ask Petrino.

True, he didn't have the opportunity to say, "I will not be the coach at Atlanta."

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Carbo

Damn prick.

He's probably just upset.

Not really. She can probably throw a football better than you now.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Now I understand how UK fans felt when Pitino left. Thankfully UL now has Pitino.

Dude, you have to understand the buzz that's been going on in this town. FINALLY we have a football program. All the hope of the last few seasons, the recruiting, the coach, the drive of the AD to make a national football program.....the stadium...the fan support....I was at a home game at 20 degrees to cheer them on.

I'm pissed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimbo Fisher end up at UL. If he does land in Louisville, you'll have landed yourself a damn fine coach & a stand-up guy.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm pissed.

You'll hate it worse when Petrino quits the Falcons in a few years to replace a retiring Rich Brooks at UK! :p

hehehehe! :Q

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Well, to be fair, Petrino didn't have the press hounding him for a month. I don't think the media even had an opportunity to ask Petrino.

True, he didn't have the opportunity to say, "I will not be the coach at Atlanta."

Yeah. He didn't have the opportunity to say, "The only way I'm leaving Louisville is in a pine box" either.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

I'm pissed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimbo Fisher end up at UL. If he does land in Louisville, you'll have landed yourself a damn fine coach & a stand-up guy.

Yep. FSU and Bama had been making dueling offers for him to take an OC position but both backed off when Fisher wouldn't accept a buy out clause. Fisher may finally get his shot at a head coaching position.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

Yeah. He didn't have the opportunity to say, "The only way I'm leaving Louisville is in a pine box" either.

To be fair, I'd say Tubby has redeemed himself. Especially following that disgraceful midnight flight to UL so Bobby Lowder could make a sales pitch to Petrino.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

I'm pissed.

Yep. FSU and Bama had been making dueling offers for him to take an OC position but both backed off when Fisher wouldn't accept a buy out clause. Fisher may finally get his shot at a head coaching position.

Fisher won't go to SPUAT. Head coaching at Auburn is one of his dream jobs and taking a coordinator position at T-town would pretty much eliminate that.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

I'm pissed.

Fisher won't go to SPUAT. Head coaching at Auburn is one of his dream jobs and taking a coordinator position at T-town would pretty much eliminate that.

Well, he's definitely not going now as Saban/Bama have moved on to other OC possibilities since Fisher wouldn't accept a buy out clause in his contract.