loud stereo VS loud exhaust

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
My town recently put new laws in place for loud stereos. The punishment is, instead of a ticket, the bass bumper gets their car towed. Then they have to pay 300 bucks, plus the $75 towing fee to get their car back.

Now, I think this sucks - but I also don't approve of loud stereos disrupting anyones life.
Personally, i like HAVING a loud stereo in my car (although i don't anymore), but don't enjoy hearing them drive by.

My real issue is the lack of law enforcing loud exhausts.
And I'm not talking about the POS 88 ford taurus that is rusted apart and missing a muffler - i'm talking about the harley davidsons and the crotch rockets and the old muscle cars.

Saturday nights sound like a mother flippin tractor pull outside. Out of the last 14 minutes, there were 3 minutes that i couldn't hear a harley or a loud muscle car filling the air with that obnoxious sound.

I haven't heard a loud stereo go bumping by in days.

Why are there no laws to keep the noise of bikes and muscle cars down?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: nkgreen
exhaust > shitty music

Eh, as much as I hate the music that is usually played loudly on car stereos, loud exhaust is a much more obnoxious sound.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
exhaust > shitty music

Eh, as much as I hate the music that is usually played loudly on car stereos, loud exhaust is a much more obnoxious sound.

Then you haven't heard a real car's exhaust. Fart sound producing rice burners are incredibly annoying when loud. Real muscle cars are not.

Loud stereos would not be as much an issue if the idiots that had them these days would stop listening to useless rap.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
exhaust > shitty music

not me. i'd rather listen to a mis-firing pinto with with straight back exhaust than the lastest sorry excuse for music.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Err, so bring it up before town council? Whomever was responsible for a law which specified the source of noise obviously failed. It should simply be a measurable level emanating from a vehicle beyond what is reasonable. However, I would endevour to incorporate any mechanical device so as to include lawn mowers, blowers, &c. as well.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

You are allow to have loud speakers & vehicles, however most jurisdictions have noise regulation. My local regulation stated that all noise has to be under 40 dBs at 10' from source.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
When a car stereo is loud enough to bother an entire neighborhood of people as they sit inside watching jeopardy - the type of music is generally undetectable

rap isn't the only music with bass

Ron, i certainly appreciate your opinion - but your name, your sig, etc pretty much scream that you're a muscle car fan :)

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: troytime
When a car stereo is loud enough to bother an entire neighborhood of people as they sit inside watching jeopardy - the type of music is generally undetectable

Ron, i certainly appreciate your opinion - but your name, your sig, etc pretty much scream that you're a muscle car fan :)

Really? I used to build really big car stereos when I was young too.....the kind that shake the mirrors in back bathrooms 2 houses over too...but I never played them loud in the neighborhood.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Ronstang

Really? I used to build really big car stereos when I was young too.....the kind that shake the mirrors in back bathrooms 2 houses over too...but I never played them loud in the neighborhood.

same here. While i wasn't always considerate, i was definitely more considerate than others. no bumping late at night in residential areas, and no bumping while stopped at traffic lights

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
i think it should be a noise level at a given distance, regardless of the source..

that said, i've put alot of money into making my car stereo rattle things for blocks... but it never gets turned up at stop lights or at night in residential areas....

pic of woofage

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
ahah i love my loud muscle car =] Loud, but my neighbors hate me for sure. Theres nothing like (h) straight pipes from the headers to the mufflers than dumped to the ground. Sounds like heaven to my ears.

Wear some ear plugs buddy =]'

But i do have an sensitive side. At night time i usually shift her low and keep her out of the loud zone because i do respect others.

Just to make you feel better. You can hear my loud car: http://media.putfile.com/mustang-9 :D shes so sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
ok, to clarify, i don't really mind it so much during the day

its the post 10pm sounds that make me want to murder

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
exhaust > shitty music

Then you haven't heard a real car's exhaust. Fart sound producing rice burners are incredibly annoying when loud. Real muscle cars are not.

Loud stereos would not be as much an issue if the idiots that had them these days would stop listening to useless rap.

I'm talking about motorcycles, not cars.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Some DMB pumping through some matched 6.5 components and a pair of 10' subs = heaven.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Its not the car or stereos fault(in most cases) usually its the person with the foot or hand who pressed the pedal or cranks up the dial. its sad that its up to the police to teach people how to be considerate.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Modular
Some DMB pumping through some matched 6.5 components and a pair of 10' subs = heaven.

ok, i can appreciate DMB, but that is just...

Sorry, I'm a huge Carter Beauford fan.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

I understand that and that is why when I used to go cruising on Friday and Saturday nights in the Shelby I drove very slowly on the main residential streets and idled up the ones with houses until I could get the car into the garage. That damn car is incredibly loud. I used to ask the neighbors all the time if they ever heard me come in late because it was usually 2-4AM before I was getting home and no one ever heard me. I even parked my car in my neighbor's garage across from me for a while and he never heard me coming in either.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: randay
Its not the car or stereos fault(in most cases) usually its the person with the foot or hand who pressed the pedal or cranks up the dial. its sad that its up to the police to teach people how to be considerate.

DING DING DING! we have a WINNER!
Email Anand for your prize :)

Only an inconsiderate would blast music or rev their engine in a calm neighborhood. I like my 1956 Indian but I'm nice to the neighbors......... No scalping here!

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006

I understand that and that is why when I used to go cruising on Friday and Saturday nights in the Shelby I drove very slowly on the main residential streets and idled up the ones with houses until I could get the car into the garage. That damn car is incredibly loud. I used to ask the neighbors all the time if they ever heard me come in late because it was usually 2-4AM before I was getting home and no one ever heard me. I even parked my car in my neighbor's garage across from me for a while and he never heard me coming in either.

it would be fantastic if everyone was that considerate

i used to have four 12" subs in my car, 146dB could let several blocks of houses know that i'm there - but i usually kept it turned down while in town

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
exhaust > shitty music

This thread isn't about the comparison of the issues, it's about the existence of it.

I think real muscle cars bother people just as much as these ricer's. In the end, it's a loud sound, and they don't like it.

As for the type of music, I don't think rap is the cause at all, most kind of music listened through a loud system (among general population, not AT) is going to hit lower frequencies at some point or the other unless you pick songs without much bass. Even if it was something other people liked that object it, they'd probably still be bothered by it just because it's something they can hear that they didn't want to.

troytime - you sir have had a good bit of fun with bass :p A friend has told me stories about playing very low frequencies causing people to look outside for thunder :D

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

it would be fantastic if everyone was that considerate

i used to have four 12" subs in my car, 146dB could let several blocks of houses know that i'm there - but i usually kept it turned down while in town

The biggest problem that people fail to realize about car stereos with large woofers is that most do not fully develop their waves of the low frequencies until they are way outside of the car....so basically it is louder outside the car than it is inside for the extremely low bass frequencies. The waves allso travel a very long way with a large amount of energy. Try some 15" in a car. I did and they were usueless except for the people down the street.

We started using larger numbers of small drivers in our systems for cleaner bass that actually stays more in the car. I prefer the sound of 8" drivers or less. You would be surprised how much sound you can get out of an array of small drivers when the enclosure is built correctly.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
The biggest problem that people fail to realize about car stereos with large woofers is that most do not fully develop their waves of the low frequencies until they are way outside of the car....so basically it is louder outside the car than it is inside for the extremely low bass frequencies. The waves allso travel a very long way with a large amount of energy. Try some 15" in a car. I did and they were usueless except for the people down the street.

We started using larger numbers of small drivers in our systems for cleaner bass that actually stays more in the car. I prefer the sound of 8" drivers or less. You would be surprised how much sound you can get out of an array of small drivers when the enclosure is built correctly.
What causes the sound to not be heard/felt inside the car, but allows it to be heard/felt outside of it?