LOTRO - Rohan

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Interesting, I'm tempted. When I put it in the cart to buy, it offered 5,000 turbine points for $29.99 saying the normal price is $49.99. Is that worth it?

(They also list the 3-expansion pack I don't think I need - I need to find out what i've already bought since I don't play yet - for 25% off its $40 price, but it's already on sale for 50% off this weekend, they didn't update that.) It's starting to add up if I buy the legendary for $35 and points for $30 on top of previous purchases, but hate to miss a deal if it's actually one I'd want.

Sitting in the cart for a bit to see the feedback.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Well the Legendary edition doesn't include any quest packs, so you're paying just for Rohan plus the extras and you get 2000 TPs. Depending on what you bought before, you may have additional TPs waiting for you once you decide to play.

If you have all the content, then your TPs will be used for boosts (XP, crafting, deeds, run/ride speed, stats, etc), cosmetics, purchasing recipes, and so on. Most of the stuff you really want, like boosts, periodically goes on sale. I'd probably hold off on buying additional TP. Especially since you haven't even started playing the game yet. Just seems like a potential waste of money when you don't even know if you'll like the game.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Just picked up the Rohan expansion myself this weekend after I saw it was on-sale. Haven't played for a year, but I maintained my VIP subscription @ $9.99/month. hehehe...was totally lost for the first few hours trying to get reacquainted with everything. Hopefully, I can get back into it. My main characters are still lvl 65, so I've got a ways to go before I'll make it into Rohan...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
There are several around here that play, most of f2p that dabble now and then. I haven't leveled through isengard yet so need that still before rohan (swtor took the couple off months this year I normally would have devoted to lotro).

Do really want to check out the mounted combat system though.

For anyone looking to buy, along with today being final rohan sale day, they also sent out a cyber monday sale about a 50% sale on quest pack collection. Haven't looked at all the details, but may be a good buy for the f2pers.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Have they increased leveling speed? With the expansions, it would be nice to speed up leveling times a bit. (IMHO of course)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm not sure if they've done something standard, but they do have occasion bonus XP periods and I preorder the expansions which gives a +xp token.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Have they increased leveling speed? With the expansions, it would be nice to speed up leveling times a bit. (IMHO of course)

After playing GW2 the last few weeks, I've gotten really spoiled on how fast it is to level. I could do 3-5 lvls (all levels) in a few hours while in LoTRO, it would take that amount of time to gain a level (65 to 66).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
After playing GW2 the last few weeks, I've gotten really spoiled on how fast it is to level. I could do 3-5 lvls (all levels) in a few hours while in LoTRO, it would take that amount of time to gain a level (65 to 66).

That is the difference between a game that is a one time cost vs one that makes their money based on how many months they manage to keep you playing. Without the "grind", people might be "done" in a month, and stop playing/unsubscribe until a new major content release occurs.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
That is the difference between a game that is a one time cost vs one that makes their money based on how many months they manage to keep you playing. Without the "grind", people might be "done" in a month, and stop playing/unsubscribe until a new major content release occurs.

LoTRO is free-to-play, though. It's zero dollar LoTRO vs. $60 for GW2 (or $25, Black Friday sale price at some places) for the costs up front.

In fact it's even better for LoTRO to have people level up quickly, because the sooner people level up means the sooner people will be stuck without anything to do and have to buy quest packs, etc.

GW2 just has a different mindset in making leveling up not such a chore. It's one of the best qualities of the game, imo, because I just hate leveling.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LoTRO is free-to-play, though. It's zero dollar LoTRO vs. $60 for GW2 (or $25, Black Friday sale price at some places) for the costs up front.

In fact it's even better for LoTRO to have people level up quickly, because the sooner people level up means the sooner people will be stuck without anything to do and have to buy quest packs, etc.

GW2 just has a different mindset in making leveling up not such a chore. It's one of the best qualities of the game, imo, because I just hate leveling.

you can't do much of anything with LoTRO f2p model, though. I only played that, many months ago (just trying to kill time prior to GW2 :\), and I gave up after a week. the things that you are locked out of: skill bar slots, skills, bag slots, all of the things that become necessary so early on to keep you interested.

I was determined to give it maybe 15 levels to see if I liked it--I did like the play in the nooby area where I was, but I just spent too much time grinding--running back and forth to empty my bags--and fiddling with my skills to make them useful, to ever get to a point in the game where I felt like I was on a roll and could enjoy it. So, I hated it and stopped playing.

ToR sucked me in with their free trial--1 week up to level 15, any number of characters. Only thing is that you couldn't guild, couldn't use general chat. Could only whisper and party with people. I was able to play what the game offered, and I dug it enough to plop down $40 and then spend 15/month on a sub, for about 3 months--and I HATE sub-based games.

Now, they are doing the same thing with their F2P. I will probably never log into ToR again, because it basically punishes those who have already paid a shit-load of money to this game and just want to play it at a more relaxed pace (no gear treadmill, no daily HM and all that--even though I enjoyed them). Sucks, I liked playing my Sin, and was really enjoying leveling up and over-gearing my Sentinel (through crafting--oh wait, I can't really craft with F2P either? fuck those clowns)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
We probably need a more accurate name than 'free to play' for the genre. It's like saying a restaurant is free to be seated. Can't do much after that.

Free to play should mean more like an ad-sponsored game, when too much is blocked without paying it's just a game demanding payment for specific things, not general cost.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Assuming you don't mind throwing a bit of cash at LOTRO to get past the FTP play barriers, is the game fun? I'm getting my end of year desire to MMO it up and was looking at this one.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
you can't do much of anything with LoTRO f2p model, though. I only played that, many months ago (just trying to kill time prior to GW2 :\), and I gave up after a week. the things that you are locked out of: skill bar slots, skills, bag slots, all of the things that become necessary so early on to keep you interested.
No skill bars and no skills are locked out; the amount of trait slots you have are, but that doesn't even go into effect until much later down the road. You get 3/5 bag slots, so yes you would have to purchase 2. There is nothing that hinders your ability to play at the beginning, so you are ENTIRELY misinformed.
I was determined to give it maybe 15 levels to see if I liked it--I did like the play in the nooby area where I was, but I just spent too much time grinding--running back and forth to empty my bags--and fiddling with my skills to make them useful, to ever get to a point in the game where I felt like I was on a roll and could enjoy it. So, I hated it and stopped playing.
Were you using the fast traveling at all? A friend only had 3/5 bags and was just fine...
The game is kind of grindy; it's "Kill x rats" just like many others of the time.

FTP comparison chart

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Assuming you don't mind throwing a bit of cash at LOTRO to get past the FTP play barriers, is the game fun? I'm getting my end of year desire to MMO it up and was looking at this one.

I like it quite a bit actually; give them some cash to get premium status and just buy a few things like bag space increase and gold cap removal. PLUS you can actually earn the currency in-game.

The best part of the game is the wardrobe; love all my outfits :)

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I liked the music system. If you know how, you can program your own songs in.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I like it quite a bit actually; give them some cash to get premium status and just buy a few things like bag space increase and gold cap removal. PLUS you can actually earn the currency in-game.

This. You can buy something really cheap in the store (like the non-vip gold cap) to get premium status and get a bunch of the ftp limitations removed. Then you can use your in game earned currency to buy other removals, quest packs, etc. If you catch things on sale you don't have to spend that much to keep expanding the game.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I can't play EQ style games anymore, after playing WOW it's like whats the point, its the same exact game just different graphics

Nov 29, 2006
Hmm i may have to look back into LoTRO. I did have 2 chars at max lvl awhile ago. Think it was 65 then. GW2 is boring now. Nothing to do once i hit lvl 80 and it came fast.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
This. You can buy something really cheap in the store (like the non-vip gold cap) to get premium status and get a bunch of the ftp limitations removed. Then you can use your in game earned currency to buy other removals, quest packs, etc. If you catch things on sale you don't have to spend that much to keep expanding the game.
Yep, exactly.

I used to subscribe so I have an upgraded status since they have switched to a F2P model. I just started playing it again last night after about an 8 month break, and am only level 42, but I find it a fun game. It definitely can be pretty slow to level and whatnot but I guess it's a nice change of pace from a fast-paced FPS and whatnot.