Losing my broadband after 2 years of bliss.. =( =(

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
moving to a house outside of the city limits about 5 miles, and the neighborhood has a different cable co. than in town (Cox, where I've had my cable modem for 2 years now).

DSL - too far away from switch. no cable.

looks like I'll have to settle for ISDN, a tenth of the bandwidth at twice the price, PLUS a monthly usage limit... BULLSH!T

teknoid

Nov 10, 1999
Coming VERY soon (as in Nov. 1) to a southwestern sky near you is a service called StarBand. It started out as Gilat2Home. It's 2-way satellite service. I've been involved in the beta test program for a couple of months. I typically see 500K+ (as high as 900K) downlink speeds and anywhere from 40K to 70K uplink speeds. Starband is telling us that we'll ultimately have around 140K uplink speeds. I've been an ISDN user fro the past 3.5 years and the satellite service kicks its a$$. They haven't settled on pricing yet, or at least they haven't told us beta folks what it's going to be but initially we were told we were looking at $70 a month. When I consider that I'm paying $110 a month for ISDN the switch is a no-brainer. Now the bad news... If you use your internet for onling gaming you can forget about Starband. Because of the travel distance (~22300 miles up and ~22300 miles back) latency is an issue. I'm seeing ping times of 700ms to 950ms. Much too slow for gaming.

Track down and call your local "Dish Network" dealer and see if he has any info yet.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Frankly I would not move. I've said it time and time again where I live _has_ to have high-speed!

gUEv

Oct 11, 2000
im out of range for sdsl, had to settle with idsl.
now because of covad's screw ups it has completley gone to sh1t, i waste more time on hold waiting for technical support and writing emails to my isp then actually using my dsl.

:|

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
gUEv i lub u man.. lol

well verizon said the lines couldn't support their dsl, and as for that satellite stuff, that'd be kickass, but I'd have to fire up a 56k to play online games.. talk about ironic

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Dang, this is a horrendously painful experience, as I've had to go through this twice. I went from two-way cable to 56k, and finally moved again to get one-way that I'm still waiting to go two way.

As a popular politician once said, "I feel your pain"

BTW - what's IDSL? I've only heard of ADSL and SDSL.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
sorry to here about that... enjoying asgard?

woohoo more bandwidth for me =)

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Doh that sucks but now you get to be like me! Someone who still can't get DSL or cable! hehe :)