Losing internet connection on PC Solved!

imported_blip

Dec 13, 2004
We just switched from a Mac to a PC so I'm not sure which settings might be going wrong. Wife keeps having trouble connecting to the internet during the day, basically gets a no connection message in chrome. I originally had the PC connected to our network via WiFi but I just ran an Ethernet line from the router to the PC. Do I have to tell it to stop using WiFi or something so it doesn't try both? It seems to not happen all the time, for instance at night I seem to be able to get it to work.
Any ideas of why it wouldn't be working at certain times? When it's not working, what's the quickest way to check settings or troubleshoot? For example on the Mac there was a network settings screen that would show current connection status etc.
Sorry if this is vague but if there's any other details I can pull from the system and provide please let me know!
Thanks so much!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
First of all, hard-wire the PC to the router, if possible, and disable Wifi on the PC (or unplug the adapter if it's USB). Second, is this DSL, cable, or fiber? (Or WISP?)

If your hard-wired PC has issues, first thing that I would do, is Factory-Reset the router (usually there's a small recessed pin-sized button on the back, use a pin or a narrow but long ball-point pen or something to press, hold, power off, and then power on while holding. Continue to hold for 10-15 seconds, maybe some lights on the front will blink and reset.)

(It may be errant "internet access time" or "parental control" settings cutting her off from the internet. Resetting the router will remove those restrictions on access.)

It may be your DSL or cable wiring. If you are using a "Gateway", find out from your ISP how to access the diagnostics or logging info page. You might need to get your ISP to fix the connection on their end or your wiring.

But before taking that step, try using it for a full day or two, wired to the router, after doing a factory reset.

Reactions: corkyg

imported_blip

Dec 13, 2004
Thanks for the help. It is Xfinity cable, and the PC connects directly to the modern/router. When I was playing around with it, I noticed that the light where the PC plugs into the modem is green, all the other devices are amber. When I switch the cables around the green light follows the cable going to the PC. Maybe it's a bad cable? I've been using it with no issue for a year or two. Don't have one long enough to swap out right now. I'll try to disable the wifi and see if that helps. Thanks!

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
from a command prompt, you should try typing without quotes "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew". See if this helps. It may also help to flush your DNS "ipconfig /flushdns". Is the laptop gaining an IP address, or does it have an APIPA (169.xx) address?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Having dealt with Xfinity for several years - try this . . . disconnect the modem/router's power for about two minutes, then reconnect5 and it should rebuild itself. I find the same thing applies to Cox

shybull

Jul 11, 2002
I had similar problem. Internet (Xfinity) was real flaky, on and off again. Hardwired or wireless, didn't matter. It would drop out and have nothing. Changed cables and different types of connecting. Even changed the Cable modem. Still didn't fix. Then it dawned on me I have the cable going through the battery backup. By passed that and no more problems.