Question Losing Hardwired Connection

Will8250

Oct 7, 2021
Hello, recently upgraded to a mesh router system (Tp-Link Deco) and have been having some problems. I have my work laptop and PS4 hardwired through an unmanaged 5 port tp- link switch to the primary deco unit, which is hardwired to the ISP provided cable modem. Cables are in good shape (although I have some new cat6a on the way to swap in) and router firmware is updated. Since switching to the deco, I occasionally lose connection to the router (shown as a momentary loss of connection when I run a ping of the router). This results in me losing connection to my work vpn or any online games I am playing on the PS4. Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting? The networking stuff is beyond me. Thanks in advance!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, usually it is a cable that is the problem. However, since you stated that the problems started when you changed some equipment, it is likely that the new equipment is at fault (or a cable that you connected to it).

I would start by seeing if you can isolate something (i.e. connect directly to your cable modem and see if you are still having the dropped connection at that point in your network, then try behind the next device/switch, etc., until you find the first place where it breaks and now you have limited down which device/network cable is the problem and start swapping out the network cables since they are cheap, and then replace the switch/access point/etc with something else that you have and see if that fixes the problem).

Unfortunately it can suck troubleshooting a network issue, but swapping out some cables is usually the first thing to try and typically is the issue.

Reactions: Will8250

Will8250

Oct 7, 2021
Well, usually it is a cable that is the problem. However, since you stated that the problems started when you changed some equipment, it is likely that the new equipment is at fault (or a cable that you connected to it).

I would start by seeing if you can isolate something (i.e. connect directly to your cable modem and see if you are still having the dropped connection at that point in your network, then try behind the next device/switch, etc., until you find the first place where it breaks and now you have limited down which device/network cable is the problem and start swapping out the network cables since they are cheap, and then replace the switch/access point/etc with something else that you have and see if that fixes the problem).

Unfortunately it can suck troubleshooting a network issue, but swapping out some cables is usually the first thing to try and typically is the issue.
Great info. Thank you. So you are guessing it is hardware related and not some weird sort of router setting?

I wasn't sure if there could be some weird way that the IP (or some other allocated item) was expiring or something and was getting renewed (I am not sure if that happens for wired connections).

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Dont forget to get that unmanaged switch out of the mix for testing also. Those things are dirt cheap so just get another one and swap it.

And yes, DHCP leases expire for all network devices. Make sure you have enough dhcp addresses for all devices, or give your laptop a static IP outside of the DHCP range.

Reactions: Will8250

Will8250

Oct 7, 2021
Dont forget to get that unmanaged switch out of the mix for testing also. Those things are dirt cheap so just get another one and swap it.

And yes, DHCP leases expire for all network devices. Make sure you have enough dhcp addresses for all devices, or give your laptop a static IP outside of the DHCP range.
Will do. Thanks very much