Looks like Washington State is going to legalize weed

Feb 6, 2007
They're trying to legalize it in Oregon as well, but the measure seems poorly worded and I couldn't bring myself to vote yes (or no) for it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
They're trying to legalize it in Oregon as well, but the measure seems poorly worded and I couldn't bring myself to vote yes (or no) for it.

SHould have voted yes out of principle. Get the ball rolling. ANything is better than the current situation. Work out the kinks down the road.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
this will be all for naught because the Federal government (along with their big government advocates in D.C.) will step in and pull Federal funding in order to enforce its war on drugs and its authority. In fact recent past history has demonstrated that Obama administration has absolutely no qualms ramping up the war against pot as they did in California with "medical pot" distributors.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
this will be all for naught because the Federal government (along with their big government advocates in D.C.) will step in and pull Federal funding in order to enforce its war on drugs and its authority.

Just like it did with california, which has had a medical marijuana trade against federal law for almost 20 years?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I don't use anything except caffeine, but I do support the end of drug prohibition.

Legalize it, tax it and regulate it like tobacco and alcohol. Save billions on enforcement and incarceration, cut off the funding for the drug cartels.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Just like it did with california, which has had a medical marijuana trade against federal law for almost 20 years?

Pot is not legal in California and the last initiative put up lost at the ballot box. Furthermore the Feds have cracked down on medical pot clubs all across the state or have you not been paying attention to Obama's 'War on Pot" which has been on going in the state by the Feds?

"Obama's War on Pot" - From the oh so conservative Rolling Stones magazine.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-war-on-pot-20120216

"Obama's War On Weed In California: Cannabis Crackdown Has Dire Economic Consequences" - Another strong conservative source the Huffington post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/obamas-war-on-weed-in-california_n_1835290.html

"Calif. pot dispensaries told by feds to shut down" - MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4480672...ispensaries-told-feds-shut-down/#.UJgLxMXA9Gs

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
this will be all for naught because the Federal government (along with their big government advocates in D.C.) will step in and pull Federal funding in order to enforce its war on drugs and its authority. In fact recent past history has demonstrated that Obama administration has absolutely no qualms ramping up the war against pot as they did in California with "medical pot" distributors.

This will probably turn out to be the case, but nevertheless the fight has to start somewhere. Prohibition wasn't ended in one fell swoop, and neither will this.

Already public opinion has turned towards legalizing weed, now forward-looking states have to legalize it and stop wasting state resources on enforcement. I'm wary of predicting specific dates, but if either measure passes tomorrow, I can't image it being more than 15 years before full legalization not just in the US but in a fair number of other countries as well.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Until the feds legalize it, it's not going to matter as anyone that either works for the government, supplies the government, CDL holder/job controlled by the DOT, or refinery/chemical/power plant will not be able to use MJ including MMJ.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Pot is not legal in California and the last initiative put up lost at the ballot box. Furthermore the Feds have cracked down on medical pot clubs all across the state or have you not been paying attention to Obama's 'War on Pot" which has been on going in the state by the Feds?

"Obama's War on Pot" - From the oh so conservative Rolling Stones magazine.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-war-on-pot-20120216

"Obama's War On Weed In California: Cannabis Crackdown Has Dire Economic Consequences" - Another strong conservative source the Huffington post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/28/obamas-war-on-weed-in-california_n_1835290.html

"Calif. pot dispensaries told by feds to shut down" - MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4480672...ispensaries-told-feds-shut-down/#.UJgLxMXA9Gs

If Obama loses I will console myself with this. Fucking stupid bastard. But to be real, I think it will take a Republican, not Romney of course, to legalize pot. The Democrats can't use it as a wedge issue. Decriminalization makes too damn much sense.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It's the states that have been hardest hit monetarily enforcing marijuana laws so it's natural for them to be out in front in legalizing it.

It's a big burden on everything from the police, the courts and the prisons.

As for Obama's enforcement of the Federal laws I think a lot of had to do with his youthful use of pot and the political necessity of looking tough on weed.
I think we might see a different approach in his second term. What is needed is a Federal law turning the prohibition on pot into a states rights issue.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
This will probably turn out to be the case, but nevertheless the fight has to start somewhere. Prohibition wasn't ended in one fell swoop, and neither will this.

Already public opinion has turned towards legalizing weed, now forward-looking states have to legalize it and stop wasting state resources on enforcement. I'm wary of predicting specific dates, but if either measure passes tomorrow, I can't image it being more than 15 years before full legalization not just in the US but in a fair number of other countries as well.

Unless those who favor big government intervention in free markets and the lives of individuals go away and/or a Libertarian-esque leanings spreads across the US, I can very much envision that this will be around longer than 15 years.

P.S. Oh and one of the most ironic aspects of the mess in California were that one of the major groups against legalization of pot in the state of California were the very medical pot clubs in the state all of whom had a de facto government created monopoly due to the illegality of pot itself and were racking a crap load of money. They helped to contribute to the No vote for the pot legalization proposition in California because according to them the Feds role in banning pot was a form of regulation that "Works".........LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Until the feds legalize it, it's not going to matter as anyone that either works for the government, supplies the government, CDL holder/job controlled by the DOT, or refinery/chemical/power plant will not be able to use MJ including MMJ.

correct.